Comcast 4mbps

Snikku

Limp Gawd
Do you have to pay for the new comcast upgrade or are they just gonna upgrade everyone as they did with 1.5mb -> 3mb

?????

You have to pay for it and it is 10 dollars more than the standard service. I believe it is a spin off of the home networking package but you are just able to use your own hardware.

Does this 4Mbps service include a faster upload rate or is it still the same pittance they give us?

It is 4000/384 so there is an increase in the upload bandwidth. I think it is available in most markets but not all so you'll have to give Comcast a call to see if it is available in your area.

i just wish i could get anything out here all i have is this dial up!!!!

bignasty said:
i just wish i could get anything out here all i have is this dial up!!!!

dude the way i got cable is that i literally called comcast 4 times a week :D

finally they realized that it would be cheaper to just give it to me then pay the customer service to keep putting up with me

"didn't you just call us yesterday? wow you must really want this.." -comcast employee

<rant>

Satellite is freakishly expensive though.... I'm stuck with 24.0kbps at my vacation home.

I theoretically have 3000/128 here on InsightBB (talk about a pittance on upload) but as of April 1 (sick joke... those bastards) my speeds plummeted from about 3200/124 to 2500/80. FUCK YOU INSIGHT. On top of that, they have been increasing the rate since @Home left us. I used to have a completely uncapped line in a quiet neighborhood (so 10000/8000 real world bandwidth) until insight rolled in, jacked the price $10, and stole my bw. Great, the DSL is 1500/128 and $44.95 too! :mad:

Funny, some parts of the Insight network are being taken over by Comcast, and will be able to get these awesome speeds for a pretty reasonable rate. Why the hell do I live in a bandwidth desert island? Lexington, KY has about 280,000 people, and this is the best broadband we get? North of me in Cincinatti there's SBC and Cinergy providing 6000/768 and 3000/1000 respectively, only 40 miles north...... only 40 miles. Only 20 miles north there's Covington, KY (much tinier town than mine) and Insight gives them special treatment with 4000/256 as the default plan for the same price the rest of us get 2500/128.

ARGH.

When WiMAX comes out, I'm going to pay somebody in cincy to beam teh intarweb to my house.

You comcast people have it better than us Insight people... and comcast has a 50% share in Insight. How pathetic is that?

Sorry...

</rant>

Originally posted by kleptophobiac
I'm stuck with 24.0kbps at my vacation home.

Oh boo-hoo, your vacation home. Go outside and vacation. I hear this crap from my aunt all the time, `waah, I can only get AOL dialup because I need my laptop in my home and two vacation homes. Paying for broadband in all the places is too expensive.` Please.

our office is close to the house and we have satellite there and it is expensive plus the lag times are very bad not fun for internet when i have t1s and dsl everywhere else to deal with

Snugglebear said:
Oh boo-hoo, your vacation home. Go outside and vacation. I hear this crap from my aunt all the time, `waah, I can only get AOL dialup because I need my laptop in my home and two vacation homes. Paying for broadband in all the places is too expensive.` Please.

Oh boo hoo, you wouldn't pay the extra $100 a month for something that you enjoy for a few days at a time. Note the majority of my rant is about my home service. Have you ever actually used satellite? I have, and it sucks balls. Uhhh... 2500 ms ping isn't that bad.

There's also a mountain right where we would have to point a dish.

ROFL when i had dial up it was connecting at the highest 19.2k and lower (i dont remember the exact connections speeds since it was a while ago)

i tried hosting a lan one time with that... lol it took like 5 minutes to connect to aim

kleptophobiac said:
Oh boo hoo, you wouldn't pay the extra $100 a month for something that you enjoy for a few days at a time. Note the majority of my rant is about my home service. Have you ever actually used satellite? I have, and it sucks balls. Uhhh... 2500 ms ping isn't that bad.

There's also a mountain right where we would have to point a dish.

I'd be absolutely tickled pink at being untethered. If I wasn't, I'd run a server there and make use of that bandwidth.

Back