Combine 2 physical drives into 1 drive letter

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there a FREE way to do this?

I've got a 2TB and a 1.5TB drive. Y: and Z:.

I'd like to combine the 2 drives to be 3.5TB drive X: or something.

Both drives already contain data that cannot be recreated.

Win7.

you can mount one drive as a folder of the other drive, but it wouldn't give you a combined storage space. The only other options I know of involve creating a new volume (called a spanned volume), but that would be destructive to the data already on the drives.

Can't you put them in the same library? Of course that would depend on what content is on the disks.

The only other options I know of involve creating a new volume (called a spanned volume), but that would be destructive to the data already on the drives.

That would also increase the chance of loosing all or most of your data if either of the drives died.

try a program called Liquesce, I am using it losely on my WHS2011 server. It will span all my drive into 1 large drive, and i can drop file either in the Combine drive or into individual drive. I am using it to store all my media in one folder when my media player looks at the data.
I am still trying it out, so i haven't work out all the bugs, but your welcome to look at it.

flexraid drive pooling. grab the beta. set your system clock back a year or so and dont worry about the beta running out... just saying.

Is there a FREE way to do this?

I've got a 2TB and a 1.5TB drive. Y: and Z:.

I'd like to combine the 2 drives to be 3.5TB drive X: or something.

Both drives already contain data that cannot be recreated.

Win7.

Regardless of whatever option you choose, do you have a good current backup of the data you say can't be recreated? The best choice to make if you want 1 drive letter is mount the 2TB drive as that letter, and then use ntfs symlinks to mount the second drive as a directory of the first. That would allow 1 drive to fail and still let you get at the data on the other.

Back