Colorless icon backgrounds? I thought I knew how to do it

BobTheSlob

Limp Gawd
In Windows XP, all my icons have an orange background and it stands out really bad on my wallpaper. Now, I thought I knew how to fix this. I went to My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Performance -> Settings -> "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"

I THOUGHT that was how it was done, but it didn't do anything. What am I doing wrong?

Try...

Right click on Desktop to 'Properties' -> 'Desktop' tab -> on the bottom right is a drop-down menu for colors -> pick the color you'd like and hit 'Apply'. It may take a minute but it should work.

I don't want a color at all though. I want them to be colorless like they used to be, so that all I see is icons and my nice desktop. No colored squares around the icons at all.

I KNOW you can do this. And I don't understand why I can't do it anymore.

Edit: Woops, lol I read your post wrong. That is the right setting.
What else did you disable lately? When did this start happening? Did you do any tweak guides?

Did you try rebooting?

After I posted I noticed that you said colorless...my bad. As for colorless...you're right, you can do it but I'm not sure why it's not working. If it comes to me I'll let you know.

Try unchecking "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" then hit Apply. Then go back and re-check it and hit Apply again. Maybe that'll work.

Did that. Still stays colored. I tried turning back on the "Themes" service and it didn't change anything. I don't know what I did?

If you want a clean desktop....just hide the icons...I just access everything from the start menu.

If drop shadows have no effect, you probably locked your desktop items.

Right click Desktop, go to Properties. Go the backgrounds/wallpaper tab, then click 'Customize desktop'. Go to Web tab and uncheck "Lock desktop objects" if it's checked.

Hope that helps.

Back