College Scholarships For Playing Video Games?

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's funny how that, ten years ago, e-sports wasn't even a thing yet. Five years ago, there was a big debate over whether or not competitive video gaming could be classified as a "sport." Fast forward to today and schools like University of California, Irvine are handing out scholarships to its e-sports team. :eek:

The University of California, Irvine, announced Wednesday that it will offer as many as 10 academic scholarships to students on its e-sports team. UC Irvine is launching a major e-sports initiative in the fall, the first of its kind at a public research university.

The world is always changing.
I would rather see more poor kids get scholarships based on academics, rather than sports, esports, race, or sex, but I have always been the minority in this.

The world is always changing.
I would rather see more poor kids get scholarships based on academics, rather than sports, esports, race, or sex, but I have always been the minority in this.

I would rather see more kids get scholarships period. Doesn't matter what got them there so long as they have an opportunity they would not of had without it.

Definitely pretty awesome to see this - I work for a school district in SoCal and the 2 high schools here compete with each other and are sponsored by MSI and iBuyPower. All they play it seems is League of Legends but its cool to see this change happening. I know when i was going to high school all I played was MOHAA and got no credit for it!

I think this is a good idea. More opportunities for kids to get into college. If you can already get them for other unrelated career activities, then why not?

While I'm glad to see more scholarships being handed out, can we please stop calling these e-games e-sports? E-competitions perhaps.

Last edited:
So the scholarships are only for League of Legends players? Maybe Steam needs to compete and start offering DOTA scholarships.

I know that one of the universities here in KY offer this exact thing. I forget if it is EKU or WKU though. I remember reading about it last year.

And while we're at it, lets stop calling Scientology a religion... It's a damn Cult!
“The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own". Scientology owns a lot of real estate now. They might be a religion now. Just as silly as all the others in my opinion.

End tax exempt status for all religions and I'll be happy.

I mean it is UCI, 40% are Asians so this isn't really that surprising.

Do they let you test out of the curriculum with pre-assesments? Because I'm pretty sure they can look at my play hours logged on Steam and give me a Doctorates.

Do they let you test out of the curriculum with pre-assesments? Because I'm pretty sure they can look at my play hours logged on Steam and give me a Doctorates.
Lol, I just added up time played in my top 3 games, TF2, L4D2, and Payday2. It is almost embarrassing how many hours I have tied up in them.

Back