College rig wont even post

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, rest of my system came in today...so naturally i built it up. however, it wont even post. i turn the thing on, and fans spin, but nothing else. i looked at asus's website, and found my RAM isn't on their qualified vendors list. the company is, but my model is not... dont know if that's the problem.

anyway, here's the setup

asus a8n sli delux
3700+
msi 6600gt pci 16
wd caviar 80 gig
lite on dvd burner
coarsair twinx 1g 2x512 pc3200
fps blue storm 500w

i have a month to solve this problem, however help right now is greatly appreciated.

have you cleared the bios?..if not do that
also test it out by disconnecting everything except the RAM/CPU/VIDCARD and go from there..making sure you have the 4 pin power connector plugged in. if you have a spare Videocard or ram that can help too , just swap them out to test.

Without being there, it could be a million things and each as likley as the next.

Some good places to start, are make sure you have the PSU connected to the motherboard correctly (the asua manual should tell you what to do, depending on what type PSU you have).
(Note, if any fans connected to the mother board spin, its probably getting power.

What I mean by check the PSU connections, is that perhaps it requires a 4 pin molax connector into the motherboard... or perhaps it does'nt.... (depends on PSU).

If you want to do a quick test, remove the ram and power it on... see if it makes a lot of beeps.

Now if I was dell tech support, this would be the place I say "Make sure the monitor is plugged in and turned on". "Make sure the monitor is connected to the graphic card".

If this does'nt get you any farther, and you don't have any jumpers set to the wrong settings..... then I would start to think its a hardware problem.

~Hope this helps

Plug some headphones into the onboard sound connector, the board will TELL you what is wrong. With my A8N, it bitches the first time after clearing the cmos if I dont have the ram in the slots furthest from the cpu. Move the ram around, with just 1 stick, after its configured, put in the second stick.

Yeah, definitely try messing with the RAM first, as it's about the easiest thing to do. I just had to RMA my dual channel kit for my college build because one stick was bad, but the other worked fine by itself (I got the same as you when the bad stick was involved, nothing happened at all but it worked fine with the other stick by itself).

headphones, no go. didn't hear a thing

moved memory, both sticks, no go.

removed memory, no beeps, no go.

jumpers and connections are all set.

i know hdd works because i've installed avg, doom3, hl2, ad aware ect. using another computer.

thanks for all the help so far, any additional is welcome.

Plugged headphones into the green port, right?
And you tried just ONE stick in all slots, then the other stick, in all slots?

Did you try clearing the CMOS like lukek said? A friend of mine just had the same problem.

I dont know if you picked up the PCIe selector card for SLI or not. but if you did take it out to look at it make sure its set to either single (if you have single) or SLI (if you do). Make sure it sits in there well becasue I took mine out once and I had to really take the time to sit it in. Also if you have two ram make sure its ram:eek:pen :: ram:eek:pen. Make sure you have all the PSU connections in right. Also, I dont know your case, but make sure like there are no loose screwes in the back behind your mobo that may be shorting anything.

never touched the pcie selector, but i'll give it a look tomorrow. also, yes it was the lime port for headphones. already cleared cmos. and yes for the memory thing.

mobo shows power led, but i think it's a doa.

edit: what about mobo mounts? they came with my case. it's an ams. linky

If I cant get that far on a board this is what I do, just to be sure. Take the board out of the case, only have the CPU, VGA, and RAM installed. Then test it with the mobo sitting on cardboard.

i'm just taking this to the local pc shop here in town, i'm out of ideas. and it's only $20 until they find the problem, no matter how long it takes.

well after taking it to pc shop, figured it's the board. swapped everything, one at a time, and it's the board. even moved my 3700+ to another board, and it fired up. so i get to RMA the board, and i'm sending the ram back too cuz the 'tard put it in backwards... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back