College Laptop Advice Needed

Pegi

Limp Gawd
I'm planning on buying my grandson a laptop this month for him to take to his first year of college in the fall. Like me, he is more a desktop person, so when I try to get his preference on things, he just doesn't know and doesn't really have an opinion. So I've been doing some research and was hopeful to get opinions on some of these laptops.

Firstly, I'm still debating with myself (he has no real opinion, like I said, and just doesn't know what would be preferred) about going with a smaller 13" size vs a 15"...each has pros and cons, most particularly weight and portability. But with having to write papers and such, wouldn't the larger size ultimately be more comfortable for extended typing as well as for, say, watching netflix on his off hours?

I also was questioning video card vs no video card. The Iris Xe chips seem to be decent. He's more studious than not, but when he games it's something like Crusader Kings or Skyrim, and I think the Iris chip would work...but, again, he's going to be out of state, at a college in Iowa that will be pretty isolated in the heavy snowy weather, so maybe playing games might actually be something he'd do more often, so a discrete card might be worth considering, despite the extra weight and heat.

I'd get the 12th generation i7 CPU and 16 GB ram.

I think I've settled on the Dell XPS with the FHD screen (don't think OLED is necessary here, despite it being a big selling point in the advertising). Leaning more on the 15" size but unsure about the GPU. And I think this one might be the heaviest of the bunch.

I had also considered the Lenovo Nano/Thinkpad, which look like great machines, but as this is his first laptop, I'm not sure he'd need business class. And these Lenovos are pretty expensive.

Considered Microsoft Surface Laptop 4. I love the Surface line myself, but as these machines don't lend themselves to repair, if something goes wrong, his repair options will be limited. And, of course, there's not a separate GPU, so that option is off the table.

Considered the HP Omen just because a family member has one and really likes it.

These are the only models considered. While I'm sure there are others, for reasons and prejudices of my own, I've only focused on these.

Any comments would be appreciated, particularly as regards to size and the importance or non-importance of a video card.

Will he have a desk while at college so he can dock his laptop to an external monitor? If so then picking the lightest laptop with thunderbolt would allow for an external GPU and larger display when required. A laptop being lightweight is invaluable when moving around a lot so removing the dedicated GPU requirement would expand your options.

If you're hands on, or your grandson is, look into Framework laptops. They have a premium build quality but also allow your to replace any component you want when it fails. Down to the power button.

Will he have a desk while at college so he can dock his laptop to an external monitor? If so then picking the lightest laptop with thunderbolt would allow for an external GPU and larger display when required. A laptop being lightweight is invaluable when moving around a lot so removing the dedicated GPU requirement would expand your options.
He'll be in a dorm, sharing a tiny room, but he will have a small desk. Setting up an external monitor and possibly external GPU is really not an option at this stage of the game. So just really looking to get him a relatively reliable laptop with everything he needs and nothing he doesn't. Do college students carry their laptop from class to class? Do they take notes on it during class? Is 4-1/2 pounds too heavy for such a laptop? Is it a good idea to have a dedicated video card? Basic questions...but when I went to college, laptops didn't exist.

What's his major? I was in college ages ago, but I had a (school issued) laptop and at least one desktop. Our laptops had dedicated graphics cards: ATI Rage Pro.

I took my laptop with me, but mostly to goof off between classes (or in class, shhh). You can take notes with a laptop, but in a paper notebook is better, because the screen is distracting and paper isn't. Needed the laptop for computer science and some electrical engineering labs, and some of the chem and physics labs, cause sometimes we'd use computerized lab equipment (I think it plugged into our serial or parallel ports, but would be USB now... Also used some oscilliscopes with floppy disks to take screenshots)

What's his major? I was in college ages ago, but I had a (school issued) laptop and at least one desktop. Our laptops had dedicated graphics cards: ATI Rage Pro.

I took my laptop with me, but mostly to goof off between classes (or in class, shhh). You can take notes with a laptop, but in a paper notebook is better, because the screen is distracting and paper isn't. Needed the laptop for computer science and some electrical engineering labs, and some of the chem and physics labs, cause sometimes we'd use computerized lab equipment (I think it plugged into our serial or parallel ports, but would be USB now... Also used some oscilliscopes with floppy disks to take screenshots)
He'll be majoring in biology/science. From what I'm hearing, I'm thinking I should aim more toward this laptop being a combination entertainment lifeline and mini-workstation. So with that in mind, I'm thinking I'll present him with a few options but will suggest my overall pick as the XPS 15 with a video card. It's actually quite difficult to pick something out for someone else, trying to take their needs into consideration and not just what *I* might want. I personally wouldn't go Dell for myself, but I think it's ubiquitous enough that it makes sense for him. Thanks so much for your comments. Definitely helped to solidify my thoughts.

I realize that you explicitly excluded it, but my wife has been using a Microsoft Surface Pro for her college (ultimately getting a Masters in Library Science, finishing this year) for years. I have replaced it once (Pro 4 to Pro 7 because of swollen battery) and STILL it has been worth every penny. Figured I'd mention it in case others are also looking for ideas.

Pluses: The keyboard is backlit, detachable, and comfortable to type on. The entire unit is extremely light weight, and is also relatively small. This makes it extremely convenient to tote around and makes it useable in even areas with very limited space. It supports Bluetooth and WiFi natively (of course) but has a USB 3.0 Type-A port and a Mini-Display Port making it fairly easy to dock for desk use with other peripherals. There is also a dedicated docking station available for it. The built-in camera and mic are plenty good 'nuff. You can get a pen for it for on-screen note taking (with handwriting recognition), and she loves the touchscreen for when she is reading/browsing. Battery life is excellent, and the display is sharp and gorgeous.

Minuses: It is a bit expensive, especially when you add in the peripherals. The integrated video will not win any speed awards, but is plenty good enough for certain types of games. The internals can NOT be upgraded, so you need to buy it with the memory and SSD size you want up front.

My wife has the Core i5 8G/256G unit, and that is more than enough for her schooling and light gaming. The machine (partially due to very fast NVMe drive) is very responsive.

I realize that you explicitly excluded it, but my wife has been using a Microsoft Surface Pro for her college (ultimately getting a Masters in Library Science, finishing this year) for years. I have replaced it once (Pro 4 to Pro 7 because of swollen battery) and STILL it has been worth every penny. Figured I'd mention it in case others are also looking for ideas.

Pluses: The keyboard is backlit, detachable, and comfortable to type on. The entire unit is extremely light weight, and is also relatively small. This makes it extremely convenient to tote around and makes it useable in even areas with very limited space. It supports Bluetooth and WiFi natively (of course) but has a USB 3.0 Type-A port and a Mini-Display Port making it fairly easy to dock for desk use with other peripherals. There is also a dedicated docking station available for it. The built-in camera and mic are plenty good 'nuff. You can get a pen for it for on-screen note taking (with handwriting recognition), and she loves the touchscreen for when she is reading/browsing. Battery life is excellent, and the display is sharp and gorgeous.

Minuses: It is a bit expensive, especially when you add in the peripherals. The integrated video will not win any speed awards, but is plenty good enough for certain types of games. The internals can NOT be upgraded, so you need to buy it with the memory and SSD size you want up front.

My wife has the Core i5 8G/256G unit, and that is more than enough for her schooling and light gaming. The machine (partially due to very fast NVMe drive) is very responsive.

I gotta say I love the Surface devices. I own two Surface Pros and a Surface Go myself. I do plan on presenting the Surface Laptop as an option to him (I don't like the feel of the detachable Pro keyboards myself, and I am a very fast touch typist, but the laptop keyboards are decent; and I wouldn't call battery life excellent, but hopefully the Surface Laptop is better), with the pros and cons. I ultimately didn't think it was the best choice for him partially because of the lack of a video card and the lack of ports and also the proprietary charger. But I will actually include the Surface as an option and let him make the choice.

I would suggest an eGPU as well but I think in a college dorm it might walk off. Unless things have changed when I was in a dorm. Kids didn't have valuable stuff in the dorm room. Even an expensive laptop might grow legs and walk.

But certainly the docking station is a good idea - even if it's just a monitor with USB-C, though those are pricey. Then he can use a real keyboard and mouse.

I always recommend this to my customers that their kid is going away -

Decent laptop
Google Drive or One Drive account to work out of.
Backup Laptop - Chromebook 11" (Google Drive best here)
B&W Laser printer
Some speakers
A decent surge protector 4 way plug socket
Some decent 128GB USB sticks.

Shit breaks and stuff gets messed up so a backup laptop like a Chromebook has paid off several times for kids. The basic B&W lasers have been good too. The number that don't backup or work out of a Cloud account just staggers me. So I stress they get one before they start.

Last edited:
I always recommend this to my customers that their kid is going away -

Decent laptop
Google Drive or One Drive account to work out of.
Backup Laptop - Chromebook 11" (Google Drive best here)
B&W Laser printer
Some speakers
A decent surge protector 4 way plug socket
Some decent 128GB USB sticks.

Shit breaks and stuff gets messed up so a backup laptop like a Chromebook has paid off several times for kids. The basic B&W lasers have been good too. The number that don't backup or work out of a Cloud account just staggers me. So I stress they get one before they start.
You know, the surge protector advice is an excellent suggestion. I wouldn't have thought of it. Will go to Amazon right now and order one.

For anyone interested, I wrote up a treatise of my 4 laptop picks for him to consider--two with a discrete video card and two without--and he felt most comfortable with the Lenovo X1 Carbon. I picked him up a Lenovo professional backback and will stuff that with a surge protector and some USB sticks and give it to him for his birthday next month. Great suggestions; thank you.

Back