College Dorm = Free Electricity

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
Yep we all know it. Free electricity out the wazhoo. Anybody having trouble powering rig(s) I go to school in Cincinnati, Ohio. Send those boxes my way to keep them folding on my free juice. =) Not trying to steal some boxen fear not, too legit to quit plaman2003 on ebay and heat at Patman. Fold on brothers.

I'd make the same offer, but it's lame to steal a n00b's thunder :p

I had quite the little datacenter going on in my dorm last semester too for this same reason...took it down out of fear of pissing off roommate

My roommate gets a kick out of folding, especially when I tell him there is a computer under our couch folding.

Do you go to the University of Cincinnati. Just wondering b/c thats where I go. (I don't live on campus though.)

So it's ok to waste electricity as long as it's not you who is paying for it?

meh.. i wish i could do that.. so much eletronics in my room we've blown the circuit breaker twice last semester... imagine adding my folding boxes to that.. (they stay at home with my dad)

unfortunately though, they dont fold for the [H]oard

i think ill be changing that soon though :D

Can you put a long power cord from your dorm to my apartment? I'll pay for the miles of cable!

Considering you are paying ridiculous prices to stay in a dorm...the electricity isn't free.

Enjoy it before you move out to your own apartment!

I have my own apartment and continue to add more boxen as I get them. Right now it's 5 boxen running 24/7. Hopefully within a couple of months it's 6 and maybe 7 if I get my lazy ass in gear and get the old 1.2Ghz T-Bird running again.

Then again, my electric rates are rather cheap. Normal electric use with no A/C, heat or computer use is around $38/month for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment. With computers it goes up to around $50. Right now with heat on about half the month along with the computers it was around $63. Luckily, the computers help keep the coldest room heated and I don't have to run the heat nearly as much.

This is also with 3 17" and 1 19" CRTs. I use the 19" and 2 of the 17"s all the time and the third 17" is for my son's computer which will be getting some more use other than folding soon since that was his main Christmas present from me.

Then again, I save money by not having cable TV and haven't even turned my TV on in almost a year. That way I make use of the electricity in a much better way.

I have my own apartment and continue to add more boxen as I get them. Right now it's 5 boxen running 24/7. Hopefully within a couple of months it's 6 and maybe 7 if I get my lazy ass in gear and get the old 1.2Ghz T-Bird running again.

Then again, my electric rates are rather cheap. Normal electric use with no A/C, heat or computer use is around $38/month for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment. With computers it goes up to around $50. Right now with heat on about half the month along with the computers it was around $63. Luckily, the computers help keep the coldest room heated and I don't have to run the heat nearly as much.

This is also with 3 17" and 1 19" CRTs. I use the 19" and 2 of the 17"s all the time and the third 17" is for my son's computer which will be getting some more use other than folding soon since that was his main Christmas present from me.

Then again, I save money by not having cable TV and haven't even turned my TV on in almost a year. That way I make use of the electricity in a much better way.

Where on earth do you live that your electric is so cheap!?

Where on earth do you live that your electric is so cheap!?

Misery actually. Also, everything in the apartment is electric. No gas stove or anything like that.

I haven't done any research on it, but I believe Misery has some of the lowest electric rates in the country. I'll start worrying about my electric bill when the boxen cause my electric bill for the apartment to jump up to $100. That's without the furnace or A/C going. My problem is being able to come up with the funds for new boxen.

Misery actually. Also, everything in the apartment is electric. No gas stove or anything like that.

I haven't done any research on it, but I believe Misery has some of the lowest electric rates in the country. I'll start worrying about my electric bill when the boxen cause my electric bill for the apartment to jump up to $100. That's without the furnace or A/C going. My problem is being able to come up with the funds for new boxen.

Close...

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html

Idaho looks lowest average. But staying below $.08 is a good thing for your state. I am above $.10

The only Misery that google maps returns is in Maine, and their rates are higher than ours in NH, I believe.

At least we folding at home project members don’t leave our carbon foot prints in our shorts:rolleyes:

Folding rigs = heating off = lower electric bill :D
Same electric bill, lower gas bill.

You pay for housing, which includes a flat electric fee, so 1, its been payed for, 2, any excess makes up for neighbors low use.

unfortunately though, they dont fold for the [H]oard
Fold for the [H]oard? hahahah I like that.

You live in Misery? Sounds like some lame emo pick-up line. :p

Folding = Solve Cancer = Global Warming

Please, no flaming... Just realize that fossil fuels have to be burned up in order to produce the electricity that runs the PCs.

PS: Electricity here in NJ is .052

lesser of two evils? not all of us run electric on fossil fuel based electric anyway. a large part of central/south jersey where i used to live was run off nuclear, and a lot of people in the pac northwest where i live now run off hydro, neither of which are fossil fuel based electric sources. blanket covering all electric as fossil fuel is a fairly poor argument. yes a lot of electric is fossil fuel based, but there is a large part that is not, so I don't think it's as bad as you think.

I think the last thing I read on this (trying to find the source) was that coal was 55% of power draw, nuclear around 20%, natural gas and hydro around 10% each, and petrol/geothermal, and a few others taking up the rest. A lot of the coal plants have also seen fairly large increases in the cleanliness of the coal they burn to produce electricity, which further reduces the effects of the burning. Add in the folders who use their computers as a heating source, thereby reducing electric use for a large part of the year, and you see a fair balance with the use of air conditioning use in the summer, so it's not really as bad as one would think.

Add in the folders who use their computers as a heating source, thereby reducing electric use for a large part of the year, and you see a fair balance with the use of air conditioning use in the summer, so it's not really as bad as one would think.
I can't resist making a small correction here (sorry!). You're using energy to heat your residence, regardless of the source. If you have a gas furnace, then you're just displacing the energy use from your furnace to the computers. If you have electric heat, then you're just moving the source of the heat from the baseboard heaters to the computers. Either way, you're not reducing your electric use at all, even in the winter months when you use the computers for heat. And in the summer, you increase your electricity use, since the computers use electricity and produce heat that your A/C now has to remove.

its a free country they can do with their energy as they please

I for one think folding is a huge waste of electricity but who am I to tell people what to do?

Back