Colin mcRae Dirt problem : Bug or defective gpu ?

Stardusted

Limp Gawd
Everytime I play dirt, and I mean EVERY time, after a while, the game starts to freeze, frame rate drops in a second, and everything stops, then the game fast forwards then it freezes again etc etc.

My gpu is 2 days old, anyone else had the same problem with dirt and 8800gtx ?

EDIT : with my old 8800gts the game didnt have that problem :(

Have you tried any other games? I'm thinking if other games run fine over an extended period of time, it wouldn't be a bad GPU or bad system memory.

I played some other games and it was fine. I played XIII , several pro evolution soccer matches with friends , need for speed hot pursuit and need for speed carbon. Nothing happened, it all run fine.

Plus some bioshock (demo).

But I think, maybe dirt is the one that pushes the card to its limits and causes the possible defection, if any ?

On the other hand, I noticed that it happens around 1:30 and 2:00 mins in the race, no matter which race. I even tried this : I stayed at the starting line once not moving until about 1:30 then I moved the car a bit, and at around 1:50 it happened again.

Also, this freeze-start thing, when it happens, if I quit the race and start a new one, it's all fine again. Until it happens again at around the same time.

And, if I alt+tab which I can do without any problem when that happens, I can start a new dirt session (after I close the first one of course) and it will start fresh no problem.

Finally, I tried running ati tool once in the background after the problem occured and during the problem, nothing odd. Temps fine, core clock/mem clock normal...

So..... what gives ?

I am a bit eager to find out if it is truly the card's problem, because I bought it from another city and I will go there this saturday, so I can return the card and take another one (the place is about 5 hours driving so I would love to know somehow by then :( ).

Thanks for the answer.

EDIT : I just played a certain dirt track that finished at around 1:35-1:40. So, at around 1:31 the same problem appeared. Then the car crossed the finish line, and the replay started immediately playing, fine! No strange frame lags or freezes, nothing! :S And If I leave the replay just looping and looping the game does not freeze or anything.

WindowsXpSp2 32bit here, but I also have Q6600 and 8800gtx, like you do. Hmmm... damn dirt.

Back