Colin McRae: DIRT Demo on Xbox Live

Jerome36

2[H]4U
I didn't see anybody talking about this, so I figured I'd post it. A demo for Colin McRae: DIRT is available on the Xbox Live Marketplace. The download is about 769 mb, according to Major Nelson. I haven't downloaded it yet, but I'll be downloading it when I'm done working. Has anybody else gotten it, and if so how is it?

1176996444.jpg

1176996445.jpg

1176996304.jpg

1176996306.jpg

Images from Team Xbox

I hope it's good, I'm going to download it when I get home.

It's been a good month, Forza 2 demo, and Colin McRae, nice for the race fans.

I'd love to hear how it is; I'll be getting it for PC, but the gameplay is identical between platforms.

EDIT: I just realized the demo was released on PC too!!!

The demo is nice. I'm not a big off-road racing fan, but it's fun. I would put the graphics right around Forza 2, maybe a tad better.

The CORR racing is pretty crazy. After watching some of it live, it's fun to try it in the game.

It's pretty damn good.

The driving model isn't as good as Forza 2, that's for sure. It's much more arcadey.

The graphics are about on par with Forza 2, but DiRT has much more graphical style to it. Not to mention an in-car view that rocks. Very immersive.

I liked the driving in Forza 2 a little bit better. But I'll probably end up buying DiRT instead. I think in the end it'll be a much more fun game with all the different racing styles, damage models, etc.... Rally is too fun.

FM2 and DIRT are two different types of racing, its like comparing Formula 1 to Drag Racing.. completely different.

I really enjoy this game so far. Just bought the wireless wheel so it's taking some getting used to, but otherwise the game is fun. I almost enjoy it as much as Rallisport 2 and it's just the demo, I can't wait for the full game.

Just gave the demo a shot myself and its a buyer for sure. Didnt like CM5, for some reason it didnt feel right. But this feels perfect. It looks fantastic, sounds fantastic and plays fantastic. Best get it pre-ordered.:D

Yeah this game looks great. Car models that were available looked much better than Forzas. This will be on my list as well.

Sweet I didn't realize the demo was out already. I loved the previous Colin Mcrae on pc. I'm glad to hear it's "more arcadey" than Forza, since I didn't find that fun. I want some escapism in my games. :D

I thought the demo was pretty good, but I haven't gotten use to the controls yet, though my third race I did the mountain climb stage, and performed the best on that. The controls just seem a bit floaty to me, and it felt like I wasn't even connected to the road. It just didn't seem right, but I'm going to keep playing it.

I was hoping to have the replay mode available, just to see everything from different camera angles, to check out the graphics while not in the middle of a race... Oh well, it's a demo.

One of the races/tracks had some nice looking grass on the sides of the course. The guys at Turn 10 should take some notes on this, on how grass should be done. Not a flat textured plane, with some clumps of grass blades randomly thrown in at different sections.

Love the demo myself. The racing is slow, relatively speaking to things like PGR and Forza, but very exciting given the tight turns, dirt tracks, and slip-sliding like crazy. Sliding around a turn and nearly going off the edge of the cliff is a blast. Once I got the feel of the speeds and the slipperiness of dirt tracks it was a real fun experience, much more fun than Forza2 demo to me.

Fun, but I utterly despise one thing about it. When you go flying off the track down the side of the mountain, instead of rolling a few times, the screen just goes white and resets you on the track. A little footage of the roll would be cool especially with the in car behind the wheel camera option. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Fun, but I utterly despise one thing about it. When you go flying off the track down the side of the mountain, instead of rolling a few times, the screen just goes white and resets you on the track. A little footage of the roll would be cool especially with the in car behind the wheel camera option. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

That would be cool. Seems they used ultra low res textures for areas you don't see though. You can catch a glimpse when jumping off a cliff.

That and on the other tracks there are some places where you can only go about 1` off track without it resetting. I disappointed with that and not being able to free look around the car when in the zoomed out view.

The game seems a lot like Motorstorm. The handling is different, but I honestly think it's a much better game. :D

I thought this would be more like a Forza game, which isn't my cup-o-tea. I've never played a Colin McRae game before, so that's what I was expecting. I decided to give it a shot anyway. Wow. I was taken by total surprise. I highly enjoyed the demo, and will at least rent when it hits shelves.

Okay guys. I want to know how similar this plays to Rallysport Challenge 2. I don't have a 360, but I can't help but be curious about it. So tell me.

Please.

It's not too bad at all, kinda caught my by surprse, I'm enjoying racing those dune buggies the most :)

I'd have to agree with the previos suggestion that it would be wickedly entertaining if they'd not fade to white within a second (sometimes less) of going off the track. Spectacular crashes are the only thing that keeps you entertained when you mess up.

Although, I can understand why they may have done it ... so people are back to racing super-fast. That is one element of this game that is true ... no lost time. But, the nature of this game lends itself to wildly spectacular crashes. If they could put it on an option selection that would probably be best. After all, initially you'd probably want to see all the fun crashes but after a while ... eh ... you just want to beat tracks.

I'd have to agree with the previos suggestion that it would be wickedly entertaining if they'd not fade to white within a second (sometimes less) of going off the track. Spectacular crashes are the only thing that keeps you entertained when you mess up.

Although, I can understand why they may have done it ... so people are back to racing super-fast. That is one element of this game that is true ... no lost time. But, the nature of this game lends itself to wildly spectacular crashes. If they could put it on an option selection that would probably be best. After all, initially you'd probably want to see all the fun crashes but after a while ... eh ... you just want to beat tracks.

The fading doesnt quite gel with the fact that you can destroy your car if you hit a tree hard enough. Flying off a mountain should destroy your car and put you out of the race. Instead, they put your car back on the track with no damage. Kills the realism a LOT. I remember Rallisport doing the same. Was really annoying. I think they do it so you cant cut corners and cheat, but the down side is that it does kill the good crashes.

This isnt the final game, so maybe the resetting won't be so quick in the actual game. I'm thinking the replays will be awesome.

The demo was pretty tight. For not being a sim, the physics were good and the handling is pretty good as well. I'll have to check out the full thing.

After playing it for a while I really have to say it feels like you're sliding around the track more than anything. The rumble does fool you into thinking you're driving, but the handling needs to be fixed.

After playing it for a while I really have to say it feels like you're sliding around the track more than anything. The rumble does fool you into thinking you're driving, but the handling needs to be fixed.

I'm not really sure if you've played a CM title before, or whether you're familiar with the racing available, but your grip levels and car balance are entirely up to you before a race. Sliding around is entirely possible depending on the tire selection, weight distribution, roll bar setting, damping levels, brake balance, etc.

i got the demos for both platforms...360 and pc...both look nice. You CAN make the PC version look alot better, but then you're at 5 fps.
On my system, I have to drop the resolution to 1024x768 just to make it playable... so nyeh. Hopefully the full version plays a bit better. But it's fun. Been playing online all night on the pc version. w00t

Okay guys. I want to know how similar this plays to Rallysport Challenge 2. I don't have a 360, but I can't help but be curious about it. So tell me.

Please.

It's the closest to it that I've played in a while. Rallisport 2 is my favourite racing game on the Xbox, and this fills the void nicely. The demo doesn't have point to point racing though, hopefully the full retail will. I miss having my co-driver calling out turns as I race through the course.

It's nothing like the last Colin McRae game that I played back on the Xbox, which had a much different feel and wasn't much fun if I remember correctly.

this game looks awesome. a bit too much on the bloom lighting effect though. i'll be buying forza 2 later this week but dirt looks 10x better than forza 2's demo.

those with the MS wireless racing wheel, what steering wheel settings are you guys using? (steering, braking, and acceleration values for deadzone and saturation)

It's the closest to it that I've played in a while. Rallisport 2 is my favourite racing game on the Xbox, and this fills the void nicely. The demo doesn't have point to point racing though, hopefully the full retail will. I miss having my co-driver calling out turns as I race through the course.

It's nothing like the last Colin McRae game that I played back on the Xbox, which had a much different feel and wasn't much fun if I remember correctly.

Yeah, RS2 is my favourite too. Especially in the rally genre. It's good to hear that it's not like the previous CM's, since I didn't find those too fun either. WRC was a bit better than CM, if I'm remembering correctly (haven't played WRC for a shitload of time)

I've watched a few videos, and it does seem like there are point-to-point races. Sure you're looking hard enough?

I was suprised at how good it looked and how smooth it ran on my 360. This is AFTER i played my pc version with all the eye candy on at 16x10 reso.! Unfortunately, my 360 froze after 3 races. Anyone else experience this?

Yeah, RS2 is my favourite too. Especially in the rally genre. It's good to hear that it's not like the previous CM's, since I didn't find those too fun either. WRC was a bit better than CM, if I'm remembering correctly (haven't played WRC for a shitload of time)

I've watched a few videos, and it does seem like there are point-to-point races. Sure you're looking hard enough?

It looks like they're in the retail, just not the demo. The demo only has the one on one (circuit?) races, hill climb and the buggies. I guess they wanted to showcase the new modes as the previous CM games were only point to point.

I was suprised at how good it looked and how smooth it ran on my 360. This is AFTER i played my pc version with all the eye candy on at 16x10 reso.! Unfortunately, my 360 froze after 3 races. Anyone else experience this?

My system wouldn't run Dirt worth a darn until I turned down alot of the eye candy. I'm running at probably around 60 fps or so and it looks really freakin' good on the PC still.
I'm using the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel on the PC playing online. I scored a 3:04 on that one Italy track that everyone plays. In the same race some dude beat me with a 3:02. Insane times. On the 360 where I'll probably be playing this most of the time when the full version comes out (assuming the full version has mutliplayer online...the demo does not for the 360). I'll be getting a 360 wheel for father's day. I haven't decided which wheel to ask for yet. I don't like really stiff wheels like some of the FF wheels for the playstation were. I also really like the spring effect action where the wheel will go back to center when you let it go like on the sidewinder for the PC and the madcatz wheels for the xbox and ps2. I dunno if there is something similar or not. I want to have something I can use for Forza 2 and Flatout Total Carnage as well.
Can someone tell me how the madcatz 360 wheel feels? And how the microsoft wheel feels? And there is that other cheaper wheel. Nyko makes it I think?

Back