Cold Weather and PSUs.

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
So my Seasonic PSU came in today, but I wasn't at home when it arrived so it was left sitting on the porch for probably 6 hours or so. When I got home it was 25 degrees outside. You don't think that the cold weather could have damaged it? There was no snow by the way. Should I just wait a couple of days to install it? I'm pretty sure it will be ok but just wanted to double check.

It won't be damaged simply by being cold. I typically wait an hour or two until electronics come to room temp before using them when they've been in the cold.

It will be fine.
As mentioned, let it reach near room temp before using.

yeh unless it got rained on or was in an extremely hot environment then put into sub zero temps then plugged in and used right away it should be perfectly fine after it has had time to warm up and dry out. I usually leave mine for 12 hours just to be sure as they are delicate pcb compared to say a generators circuit board :)

Condensation forming when heating up and being used would really only be the thing to worry about... but even then packed away real good in box that probably has a silica packet in there... should be fine.

If it's in a bag and a box, it's probably safe to use right away, but I'd want to warm it up for at least 6 hours @ 70F+ anyway because of the high voltage is involved.

I have an Ultra that wouldn't spin its fan below about 70F, but it wasn't designed to work that way.

Better let them warm to room temperature before turning on, there might be some moisture condensation which might cause damage to the electronics if the circuit board is cold, once the air starts flowing inside.

Back