Coil whine with my PSU

fullvietFX

[H]ard|Gawd
My Corsair AX750 makes an annoying coil whine when I push either the CPU or the GPU. Do I have to break in the PSU? Or should I just RMA it.

Even if you know how to fix PSUs, I don't think you can do anything about the noise unless the cause is aged capacitors. Coils that are simply noisy probably just need to be replaced because the usual fix -- soaking them in varnish, doesn't work that well.

It seems to be an issue with that line of Seasonic-made PSUs.

I went through 3 Corsair HX units that had obnoxious whine years ago before I gave up and picked up an Enermax Infiniti.

I most recently bought the highly-regarded 850w Kingwin Lazer platinum PSU which is pleasantly quiet.

Good luck with the replacement!

It seems to be an issue with that line of Seasonic-made PSUs.

I went through 3 Corsair HX units that had obnoxious whine years ago before I gave up and picked up an Enermax Infiniti.

I most recently bought the highly-regarded 850w Kingwin Lazer platinum PSU which is pleasantly quiet.

Good luck with the replacement!

Hopefully they'll test it before they send me one.

Hopefully they'll test it before they send me one.

Thing is, it's nearly impossible to replicate the same scenarios. Coil whine occurs depending on the hardware used and your sensitivity to that noise frequency. One person might hear coil whine, while the next might hear nothing at all.

Nice!
But bad that even happens so often at first.

As said, coil whine is random and cannot be predicted, and is not a sign of something wrong.

Seasonic just seems to have a certain combination of hardware in their X-series that's more likely to produce audible coil whine than other manufacturers, but that is in no way indicative of the quality of the power supply.

i am very happy to say that my new Seasonic X750 has not shown any signs of coil whine here.

Back