coil whine at >60fps on new EVGA 980 ti?

digicat

Limp Gawd
I do my gaming on a monitor with a maximum refresh rate of 60. However, Just for kicks, I disabled vsync and tried running Skyrim with my new video card to see what would happen.

Well, FPS shot up past 60 fps and into the hundreds, and I got to see what "screen tearing" looks like. However, the video card also started making a buzzing sound. My experience with coil whine in the past is the kind that is reminiscent of a mosquito flying by your ear. This sounded like the PC case had a few bumblebees in it.

It does not make the buzzing sound when Vsync is turned on though.

Is this a sign of a bad card, or is this what usually happens when you turn off Vsync in an old game?

Run 3D Mark and check out the noise during the Ice Storm demo. That is as bad as at will get. I had a GTX 970 that sounded like a screaming zipper when the FPS was unlocked. Sent that card back immediately.

I think you got a dud. Just send it back for a new one. Those cards shouldn't do that.

I purchased a Sharp TV that also had a loud, whining noise. I know they are completely different products, but in speaking with Sharp they said a loud, high pitched noise could be a sign of future component failure. I swapped mine out.

Actually coil whine can be made by a combination of circuits. I'd try inserting the card into a dfferent PCIE slot if possible before running back to the shop.

It's entirely possible that the same card that produces coil whine with one MB/PSU combination does not with another.

Back