Cohabitation issues with Windows 7 and Windows 10 on 2 different HDs

cedico

n00b
Hi,

On my computer, I have 2 Windows installed on 2 different SSD disks. One for Window7 boot and the 2nd one for Windows10 boot.
They are configured to boot with EFI.

C: is for the current Windows running, E: for the other system OS.
I have other classical HD for personnal data (ex : D:, F:, G, H: )

Here is my problem :

When I work on Windows 7 and need to reboot on Windows 10, a checkdisk is set automatically at startup and all disks are checked then repaired as if HD issues had been found.A reparation is launched to try to correct disk issues on a all system and data HDs, the actions are like :
- inserting an index entry with ID (xxx) into index $SDH of file (yyy)
- Replacing Invalid Security Id With Default Security Id

I encounter exactly the same problem, if I am working on W10 and need to reboot on W7.

Often, after checkdisk repair actions, my system SSD disk can not reboot anymore. It is exactly like W7 try to avoid W10 to boot, and vice versa.
(when it happens, I have to boot on the last working Windows, to restaure the last ISO I have for the other OS).

What is troubling is :
if I decide to always work on the same OS day after day, all works fine and never met any issues when restarting (at the condition I stay on the same Windows).

I have verifyed all the HD, they have no bad sectors.

I would need your expertise to understand that problem please. I would be glad to have an explanation because it seems very strange to me.

Is it possible that the current OS is writing automatically informations on the other System Disk ?

Maybe I can configure first each Windows to set Checkdisk to never start on the other System disk ?

Regards

what physical hardware do you need on the Win7 installation?
If nothing, then run Win10 and a Win7 VM

unfortunately I have a complex musical configuration on Win 7, with external stuff (soundcard, midi and other stuff...)
Might be easier to migrate windows 10 to it’s own system hardware. Windows isn’t really to be run like this and is not very flexible. Less headache in the long run would be use 2 different sets of hardware if you cannot run one of them in a VM.

Yes, I would love to get rid off Windows 7 and migrate all my programs to Windows 10, but this would take many months ... there a lot of things (thousand of plugins) to migrate...
It is too much time...
but I know one day, I will have to... (you're right) :-/

I was in the same boat almost...had many apps (office, email, audio apps, etc) all setup on a physical machine, always was a pita to redo them when I got new hardware, so I simply jumped to running in a VM for my day to day machine
Fired up a truenas VM with 100gb for shared storage on any of my VMs
Probably not ideal for you, but I remember there was a way to get Win7 to boot to a VHD file that you add to the bootloader, I had that working years ago, but it ends up being a pain with reboots for patches, crashes, changes and I was spending more time fixing the small issues, than I would have spent just going for a single OS on a single drive, one at a time.
How big are your D-F-G-H drives?
Could you not sell them and get one large drive as a D, then (2) hot swap drive+tray for the OS to be on

Yes, I would love to get rid off Windows 7 and migrate all my programs to Windows 10, but this would take many months ... there a lot of things (thousand of plugins) to migrate...
It is too much time...
but I know one day, I will have to... (you're right) :-/

What exactly would you have to migrate? Or put a different way, if you simply upgraded your Windows 7 install to Windows 10 or even Windows 11, what are you worried will be missing after the upgrade? Hardware should not be an issue. Windows 10 and 11 can use drivers going all the way back to Windows Vista so just use the same drivers you are already using in Windows 7, and whatever sound hardware you have should continue to work fine. Programs (including the plugins they use) would not go away or be reset during an upgrade. If you simply upgrade, files, programs, and program settings should remain intact.

Dbwillis, it is not the number of drives the problem. I would have to migrate and reinstall all my musical programs and plugins (thousands).
Yes, GotNoRice, it is the best way to do, I agree : migrate all on Windows 10 (then 11...) but today I can loose a month of time of installation... so I need my multiboot (until I will have more time :) )

if you have the time and a spare drive, clone the 7 and then upgrade it to 10. see how you stuff works after.

as to your problem, is it windows 10 boot manager or something else? you could also try hiding the os drives from each other, as ive seen that cause issues. use disk manager to remove the drive letters.

Thank you for all your suggestions

Pendragon1, yes when I will have the time, I will try this. it is a good idea.
I can not say if my problem is the boot manager. But another guy (on another forum) just gave me a potential solution I'm trying...
Apparently the "turn off hibernation and Windows 10 fast startup" could be the problem, this writes stuff on the system disks (and data disks), and can potentially trigger the checkdisks actions I'm encoutering.

I've just restored my W10 image, and deactivated this option on the 2 Windows, and for the moment, all works fine.... I'm praying ;)

Go into power settings and disable 'fast boot' under both operating systems. The same thing happens dual booting Linux, as Windows doesn't actually 'shut down' when you hit shut down if fast boot is enabled - It goes into a form of hibernation and seems to flag drives as dirty when booting into another OS.

Yes Mazzspeed, solution already tested yesterday for me with success.
I had to execute the "powercfg -h off" command on the 2 OS (to delete the hiberfil.sys file on each boot drive), and all works fine now.

Yes Mazzspeed, solution already tested yesterday for me with success.
I had to execute the "powercfg -h off" command on the 2 OS (to delete the hiberfil.sys file on each boot drive), and all works fine now.
I always run this command on my systems anyway to save disk space. Been removing hibernation since Windows 7 days.

Back