Cogage True Spirit mounting orientation Q

alexrud

Weaksauce
Hi everyone...have a question about heatsink mounting orientation.

I have a i7 930 with a Cogage Ture Spirit on an Asus Rampage III Gene, mounted in an Antec Mini P180. It has a 120mm case fan on the back and a 200mm fan on the top of the case.

Question is, which orientation should I mount the hsf in to provide better cooling? Should i mount it so the airflow is horizontal, flowing from the front of the case to the back, or vertically with the airflow going from the bottom of the heatsink to the top?

Thanks.

In my case I set mine to blow towards the back of my case (towards a 120mm exhaust fan). I choose this orientation over a vertical orientation towards the top 200mm fan because I was more concerned with supplying my true spirit with cool air. I have an empty drive bay at the front of my case with a 120mm fan in it that blows almost directly towards my heatsink. Also, my tower sits under a desk, so top airflow is sort of restricted.

Generally, heatsinks perform slightly better with the heatpipes horizontal so that the wicking system doesn't need to fight gravity. For the true spirit, that would mean mounted with the fan blowing up.
An example:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-venomous-x_3.html

There have been a few cases of low-quality or defective heatpipes that only work in the horizontal position. The prolimatech MK13 gpu cooler comes to mind.

Generally, heatsinks perform slightly better with the heatpipes horizontal so that the wicking system doesn't need to fight gravity. For the true spirit, that would mean mounted with the fan blowing up.

That's interesting and seems logical. Although I imagine the performance difference is very small.

What effect does vertical versus horizontal installation have on the fan bearings? I did some light searching and couldn't find out what type of fan came with the cooler. A support document on Cogage's website seems to indicate that it is a ball-bearing fan, but this might be generic advice that just ended up on the product page.

I have my True Spirit mounted horizontally, and occasionally I get bearing noise. :( I've even had it not spin up on one occasion.

What effect does vertical versus horizontal installation have on the fan bearings? I did some light searching and couldn't find out what type of fan came with the cooler. A support document on Cogage's website seems to indicate that it is a ball-bearing fan, but this might be generic advice that just ended up on the product page.

I have my True Spirit mounted horizontally, and occasionally I get bearing noise. I've even had it not spin up on one occasion.

It wears out sleeve bearing fans faster, but not hydro-wave, FDB, or ball bearings. I would swap out the stock Cogage fan anyways. Some Scythe GT's would do you much better.

I ended up mounting the HSF horizontal with the fan blowing upwards. I find that the stock fan seems to make some sort of bearing noise at low RPM's, but at higher RPM's it goes away - hopefully i'll be replacing it soon for a push-pull setup.

Back