Coffee Lake-S Details: Intel's First Mainstream 6C/12T Launches February 2018

-Sweeper_

Limp Gawd
- Coffee Lake confirmed to be Intel's first mainstream hexa-core CPU
- 149mm² for a 6C/12T Coffee Lake, only an extra 23mm² compared to the quad-core version
- 6C+GT2 is actually smaller than 4C+GT3e (149mm² vs 185mm²)
- Coffee Lake-S will be available for desktops earlier, in February 2018, about a year after Kaby Lake-S
- Intel lists a 37.5 x 37.5 package for LGA 1151, so no socket change for now?
- Coffee Lake-X belongs to Socket R (HEDT) - just like Kaby Lake-X - looks like Intel plans to release special versions of its mainstream processors on the enthusiast platform from now on - giving us a choice between higher core count or the best single thread performance
- Graphics are still Gen 9/Gen 9.5, makes us wonder if these CPU cores are based on Skylake or Cannonlake microarchitecture
- No dual-core SKU. Will duallies return with Icelake or is Kaby Lake-S the last desktop family to sport 2C/4T chips?

cfl-h.jpg

coffee-lake.jpg

https://benchlife.info/intel-coffee-lake-with-14nm-process-will-launch-2018-11192016/

Last edited:
Very nice, the most interesting thing in my eyes is how high it clocks!

Doesn't seem like much of an update though outside of basically "brute force" improvements via more cores and that is assuming the same pricing and product segments. Otherwise you'll be able to get pretty much the same thing sans the GPU via Skylake HEDT in mid 2017. Not much uarch updates (if any) to the CPU, relatively minor the GPU. No major platform updates, not even PCIe 4.0. 14nm+ or further iteration?

More confirmation that mainstream will move to 6 cores finally though is a good thing.

This to me really makes Ice Lake more interesting given the lack of changes with Coffee Lake. Would rather hold off for that.

At least for me it seems like ever since Core, Intel's Tock's have been the bigger developments. Ice Lake will basically be both a Tock and Tick on the desktop as it looks like now.

Very nice, the most interesting thing in my eyes is how high it clocks!
Not high, they are max 45W.
In context comparing TDPs per core, a 4 core i5 would be max 30W compared with the current 14nM 6600K @ 91W TDP.
More heat from more cores would reduce clocks further as well.

Zen is going to give Intel a bad time over the next year, at least in the gaming sphere.
Kaby Lake should have been 6c/6t mainstream.

Zen is going to give Intel a bad time over the next year, at least in the gaming sphere.

I say most likely not. I mean the 8 C / 16 T Zen CPU with lower IPC and lower clocks than haswell can not possibly do that. Games will not require more than 8 threads for some time.

Its still not clear what the options will be for lower core count Zen CPUs (which may be a better match against Intel i7s for gaming) except for APUs which will come out in 2018.

Last edited:
I say most likely not. I mean the 8 C / 16 T Zen CPU with lower IPC and lower clocks than haswell can not possibly do that. Games will not require more than 8 threads for some time.

Its still not clear what the options will be for lower core count Zen CPUs (which may be a better match against Intel i7s for gaming) except for APUs which will come out in 2018.
The old FX-8000 series is already matching or beating i5's in a lot of new games. If they can bump their IPC enough on Zen, they will have a chip that matches an i7 in gaming for less cost.

beating i5's in a lot of new games

Usually not by much.

If they can bump their IPC enough on Zen, they will have a chip that matches an i7 in gaming for less cost.

I don't expect the 8C / 16T Zen to cost much less than an i7 mainstream CPU if at all.

I'd hope this would be smaller than a GT3e part which has additional GPU cores and a huge chunk of cache.

Back