Coffee Lake CPU Lurking Below

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Below that shiny new XSPC RayStorm Pro waterblock, and sandwiched between that Corsair Vengeance and Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming branding (shameless sponsor pimping), is the Intel Core i5-8600K, Coffee Lake CPU. I have had to be out of the office a lot for the last couple of weeks, so I am playing catchup today...and likely tonight, in order to get read for the Coffee Lake launch tomorrow.

Check out the pic.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you excited, or bored?
I do not know yet, I literally just got it running at 5GHz. I have had a bunch of family issues to deal with for the last three weeks and this is literally the first time I have touched the processor. Getting a quick and dirty 8600 vs 7600 set up now. Will not be in-depth with as many processors, but should give us what we need to know on the surface for sure.

Damn 6 cores at 5Ghz sounds pretty sweet. I have a 6700k that i'm pretty happy with but between Ryzen/TR and the 8700k I'm getting the itch

will [H] also be testing the other new intel CPU's . the i 3 the new i 5 CPU's as well for overclocking potential under air ?

Damn 6 cores at 5Ghz sounds pretty sweet. I have a 6700k that i'm pretty happy with but between Ryzen/TR and the 8700k I'm getting the itch
Agreed. I'm in the exact same boat as you. Will be reading the reviews with interest.

too bad, the review wont interest me then. I'll see who does compare them.

I'm still waiting for a new cpu that does better than a 4.2ghz 6900k in games. :(

I'm still waiting for a new cpu that does better than a 4.2ghz 6900k in games. :(

To date, I have still not felt compelled to part with my 4770k for gaming. It seems to be moving that direction though...thank s to AMD's TR we might be back to significant gains.

Intel Coffee Lake Core i5-8600K vs 7600K at 5GHz Review

If you were waiting for huge IPC gains out of the new Coffee Lake CPU from Intel, you might be waiting for a very long time. We take the Intel Coffee Lake Core i5-8600K CPU and match it up GHz to GHz with the Intel Core i5-7600K Kaby Lake processor. And we throw in a Ryzen 7 at 4GHz just for fun.

But you say you've got an i5 there. What is it? The boring why bother i5, or a typo?
Intel will no longer sample us CPUs. And quite frankly I have been dealing with a bunch of family issues for the last month and have not had the time I needed to find a 8700K. That's about it.

I still run a 2600k...2700k? Whatever. 4.7Ghz now, and always having to push many watts....it's still running, but I'm not sure the motherboard is going to stick around and I'm pretty sure that Scythe Ninja Revision B CPU cooler is on it's last legs. No complaints tho, by far my longest feasible build, GPU's greatly extended it's life. But that 8700k looks like, finally, a serious upgrade path. I'd of course upgrade the GPU as well (980 Ti hybrid isn't actually that old but, we know the gpu game)......I'd be curious to compare benches tho, see if this new chip gives the Maxwell any additional breathing room, just for yuks.

Question will be do you *need* to go waterblock to hit 5.0 or 5.1 for me, I really don't want to dick around with closed loop systems simply because I'm a "set it and forget it" guy. I build a machine once, then expect it to work until the blue smoke escapes and its soul is set free.

8700k is apparently clocking in at $420, $70 more than 7700k.

At least over this side of the pacific, the Intel CPU prices (with some exceptions) usually conform well to the intel's MSRP.

Intel operating as per usual it seems.

Back