Which Coffee Lake CPU are you buying?

• Core i7-8700K - 6C/12 @ 4.3/4.4/4.6/4.7 GHz (95W)

Votes: 109 78.4%
  • Core i7-8700 - 6C/12T @ 4.3/4.3/4.5/4.6 GHz (65W)

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Core i5-8600K - 6C/6T @ 4.1/4.2/4.2/4.3 GHz (95W)

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • Core i5-8400 - 6C/6T @ 3.8/3./3.9/4.0 GHz (65W)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Core i3-8350K - 4C/4C @ 4.0 GHz (91W)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Core i3-8100 - 4C/4T @ 3.6 GHz (65W)

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
With Z370 we lose the concept of same platform CPU upgrades. 1 motherboard for 1 CPU from now on with Intel in the mainstream.

That's functionally where we have been for years. Sure we get refresh'ed CPU's that offer minor improvements over their predecessors on the same platform, but that's it.

DDR4 ram prices are what's holding me back.

Currently it makes any upgrade over my 4790K a waste of money for the actual gain. Coffeelake might be the tipping point...

Same here. My 4790K at 4.7ghz is running nicely and I don't NEED to upgrade but I certainly want to. I may go with the 8700K and not even bother trying to overclock it.

Same here. My 4790K at 4.7ghz is running nicely and I don't NEED to upgrade but I certainly want to. I may go with the 8700K and not even bother trying to overclock it.
I'm thinking the same thing with 3570k but may just hold out for ice lake

Pricing turned out to be just right. Keeping my eye open for 8700k availability.

I've been holding on to my 3770K for what feels like ages. Nothing has really inspired me to update to be honest. Now, depending on post release reviews, mobo availability, etc. I think I'm ready for a new build. Eager to see if it will improve 4k @ 60hz gaming with my SLI setup (game & driver relative). It will probably be near Christmas before I'll have the money wrangled, so maybe I'll see what Black Friday deals pop up.

Reactions: 999
like this
I've been holding on to my 3770K for what feels like ages. Nothing has really inspired me to update to be honest. Now, depending on post release reviews, mobo availability, etc. I think I'm ready for a new build. Eager to see if it will improve 4k @ 60hz gaming with my SLI setup (game & driver relative). It will probably be near Christmas before I'll have the money wrangled, so maybe I'll see what Black Friday deals pop up.
Bf deals on freshly released tech? Not going to happen, sadly.

... since intel was moving away from "tic - toc" production plans, i though this is great i am going for a 1511 socket, so that meant skylake and a z170 and 3 generation of same sockets procesors, ow boy was i wrong. I guess, i will be skipping cannon lake :) since it wont support 1511 on Z170.

Anyone use Silicon Lottery before? Do they send the CPU re-lidded with LM or do they just delid and clean it? Then mail the CPU+IHS unlidded.

Edit: Wasn't sure if their delid service was the same as buying a delidded CPU from them. It seems they use Grizzly and reseal the CPU. Delidding it yourself voids their 1yr warranty.

They have the 8700K at 359 right now, although I'm sure thats a placeholder price. Their 7700K prices are reasonable. About $10-$20 over MSRP. The 7800X is 399 for a 4.8 bin.

I think I might try to get my 8700K from them. I was planning to use some of my newegg gift cards, but this seems like a better long term investment. Delidded CPUs fetch a nice price premium on the used market as well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1638821/coffee-lake-binning#post_26363602

We're going to get as many tested as we possibly can before they go up. Launches can get a little crazy though. We don't do pre-orders, but even if we sell out of a certain bin we'll constantly be restocking them as we get more processors in and tested

Last edited:
So now that the cat is out of the bag, how are your build plans going? For those that already ordered, which motherboard and CPU did you choose? :cool:

So now that the cat is out of the bag, how are your build plans going? For those that already ordered, which motherboard and CPU did you choose? :cool:
I'm either getting the Maximus Hero non-WiFi or the Code, depending on how long it takes before I can get a CPU.
RAM came in earlier this week.

R43YRVa.png

Now I have an excuse to finally build on my Praxis WetBench thats been sitting in a box on the shelf for months.

Asus z370 Apex
Corsair Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) 3200
EKWB Water

Looking to be a Thanksgiving project if availability stays where its at.

I have an Asus Z370 Strix-F Gaming board on the way with 16GB 3200 DDR4 CL 16 G Skill Trident as well, but haven't really been able to find a CPU for purchase to go along with them ;) Still debating between the i5 8600K and the I7 8700K. The performance of the i5 is actually really impressive, especially when compared to the i7 7700K. I guess it shows you how much more performance you gain with 2 real cores vs threads. I felt like my i5 4670K has served me pretty well the past 4 years, and it seems like the gains in gaming seem to drop off a cliff past 6 cores (see Ryzen 5 1600 -> 1700 as an example). But will we see lots of titles/software using more than 6 cores/threads down the line? Hmm.

I'm planning on a 8700K on an MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC in a Corsair Air 240. I'm going from a 4790K/980ti to 8700K/1080ti.
Already sold the core components of my current rig so i guess it might be a while before i do any gaming, since no one has the 8700K in stock, and even when i drove out to microcenter hoping for a bundle deal, they in addition to being out of stock, had it priced at $499. Is this some kind of artificial shortage so they can sell them pricey like the Vega cards?

Right before the new Intel CPUs were released, I jumped on a fairly good deal for the 7700k.
I knew - or more accurately speculated, rather - that improvements for the time being are nothing earth shattering when the comparisons were made in real world applications - in my case mostly gaming.
I didn't have a lot of buyer's remorse.... until I saw the figures for the i5 8400.
Sure, it's a less feature rich CPU compared to the K series, but you get a lot of bang for the buck when you compare certain reviews out there... in gaming scenarios!!
I wonder would any future games be too much for the 8400 to handle? I don't know. I doubt it, though.
Now, if you need the productivity features of a more expensive CPU, then sure, the pricier alternatives are the ones to opt for. But for gaming alone? That cheap thing does quite a great job! And that Without o'clocking!!!

Back