Codemasters Falls Victim To Hackers

I got this too. Nice prompt response from them about it is nice to see. Don't really know why someone would target them in the first place though.

Alright, what is with the recent round of hacking on pretty much any target we see around? I know zero about the community so I ask the [H] community who may have "heard something" is there a new exploit that is just going around? I mean, who knows what back end all of these companies (Sony, KeepVault, etc...) are using but it has been a pretty common occurrence lately.

I wonder how many times we are gonna have to change our password this year..

Let's be honest here. Does Eastern Europe, Russia or China actually ADD any value to the internet? Hell no, it's all malware, hackers and spam. Cut them out of internet for the good of the rest of us. Hell, half of those countries don't want their citizens to have internet anyway, it could be a win/win.

Let's be honest here. Does Eastern Europe, Russia or China actually ADD any value to the internet? Hell no, it's all malware, hackers and spam. Cut them out of internet for the good of the rest of us. Hell, half of those countries don't want their citizens to have internet anyway, it could be a win/win.

You should get on that immediately, and tell us how it goes.

Well some old lady with a shovel cut off Georgia (country, not the state) entirely not too long ago, I figure it can't be THAT hard. ;)

This is starting to get really old. Companies such as McAfee, Norton, and otheres really need to step up their server security software/hardware.

You know, its probably not even those countries. Lulzboat and 4chan and all the other various hacker undergrounds collectives have been terrorizing whoever they may so please. PBS with the tupac story, Sony, Ninetendo(just to say they could) and other various sites/corporations.

They funny part is that most of these people are the ones who want the internet to stay as open as the wild wild west was, but they're only dooming themselves because politicians/congressman who honestly don't know shit about technology/teh interwebs are going to be the ones looking to pass legislation to govern it. These attacks only serve as ammo for ignorent politicians to pass laws to limit our right on the internet.

I'd love a big middle finger icon so I could paste have it right X here to all the hackers out there trying to get some 15 minutes of fame. F*ck off.

They funny part is that most of these people are the ones who want the internet to stay as open as the wild wild west was, but they're only dooming themselves because politicians/congressman who honestly don't know shit about technology/teh interwebs are going to be the ones looking to pass legislation to govern it. These attacks only serve as ammo for ignorent politicians to pass laws to limit our right on the internet.

Sadly this is probably the truth.

Sadly this is probably the truth.

+1

ZOMG the government alphabet soup agencies are using known vendor-provided back doors to haxxor the intarwebs so they can cause CHAOS AND MAYHEM so the government can save us by creating a Matrix style Trainman Nazi for the intarwebs.

/tin foil hat

What is codemasters.com? I got this email also and I don't remember signing up for anything there.

This is starting to get really old. Companies such as McAfee, Norton, and otheres really need to step up their server security software/hardware.

You know, its probably not even those countries. Lulzboat and 4chan and all the other various hacker undergrounds collectives have been terrorizing whoever they may so please. PBS with the tupac story, Sony, Ninetendo(just to say they could) and other various sites/corporations.

I'd love a big middle finger icon so I could paste have it right X here to all the hackers out there trying to get some 15 minutes of fame. F*ck off.

Pretty much nails it on the head. That's why they were pushing for unique internet IDs. But there has to be some disconnect between companies using the hard/software and actually implementing security protocols. But I guess in a recession companies see the savings/big money instead of the possible downtime/lost revenue/tarnished image.

Good points. It's unfortunate that they think making a huge mess and stinking up the place is the best course of action, instead of showing no regulations are needed by behaving like decent citizens.

Well I think the authorities are fed up with this crap as well, they just arrested three member of Anon in Spain.

Well some old lady with a shovel cut off Georgia (country, not the state) entirely not too long ago, I figure it can't be THAT hard. ;)

On second thought maybe you shouldn't. It will probably be too hot to be digging holes out there right now.

Well I think the authorities are fed up with this crap as well, they just arrested three member of Anon in Spain.

Yep, just read that. Of course that will provoke another response and round and round we go.

It's a shame that they have to use their skills for lobrow criminal aims like stealing peoples shit... Sony did deserve a response for their BS, but stealing peoples credit card information is hardly the high road, they could have made their point in other ways without penalising the general populace.

While I have little clue as to the agenda of hackers these days (aside from the initial sony incident), so far the latest barrage has been relatively benign. For most folks; not for the lucky 200,000 Citi customers. However, they seem to be hitting significant targets who you would think would have serious security in place- but they still get pwned.

What happens when these people get tired of Nintendo/Sony/etc and decide to try their hand at a power plant, or air traffic control, or the train station or ??? Is anyone safe?

Even though little old me is hardly a realistic target, it's getting to the point where I want to disconnect my PC from the interwebs whenever I am not using it.

[tinfoil hat]

Maybe this ISN'T hacker groups doing it, but government agents impersonating the hacker groups (or having infiltrated them). Stir up enough shit, and everyone will be writing their Congressperson DEMANDING the government gain the ability to kick people off the internet at will, require persistent internet ID cards tied to each individual before anyone is allowed on the internet, etc

[/tinfoil hat]

You know, its probably not even those countries. Lulzboat and 4chan and all the other various hacker undergrounds collectives have been terrorizing whoever they may so please.
you seem to have as much insight into these groups as the news media that is covering these stories. just because you drink a can of coke doesnt mean you are a company employee.

at least half of the blame should be placed on the owners of the hacked network that failed to secure their own computers. the reason could be lack of knowledge about computers/networking in general, or low percieved risk, or costs involved in upgrading, among others. none of which excuse it.

another portion of the blame can be aimed at lazy users, for they are often the reason security is kept artifically lax, and they are the ones who use the same email and password combo for their online banking and paypal, as their garbage email or forum accounts, which makes it a big deal.

if you are security concious, one site getting hacked and exposing your email name password etc should have no impact on any other site you use. i could post all my [H] info here in cleartext and you would have no more information about any other accounts then you do right now.

codemasters getting hacked should be no more then an inconvienience of changing your password, or at most an annoyance from more spam phishing emails in your inbox, but the damage is compounded by users' poor security practices which makes this small breach of one site effect dozens of other accounts at other websites.

blaming the faceless hacker is an easy copout that lets you absolve yourself of responsibility.

hacked user said:
it wasnt my fault, i was hacked!
hacker said:
it wasnt my fault, they left the network wide open!
thieft said:
it wasnt my fault, the $100 bill was just sitting on the table!
adam said:
it wasnt my fault i picked the apple, the snake tricked me!
snake said:
it wasnt my fault, i couldnt help it, god created me!
god said:
it wasnt my fault, that hacked user made up my story to shift the blame!

[tinfoil hat]

Maybe this ISN'T hacker groups doing it, but government agents impersonating the hacker groups (or having infiltrated them). Stir up enough shit, and everyone will be writing their Congressperson DEMANDING the government gain the ability to kick people off the internet at will, require persistent internet ID cards tied to each individual before anyone is allowed on the internet, etc

[/tinfoil hat]

[/tinfoil hat]
+1
[/tinfoil hat]

Damm those hackers!!

The info LutzSec gave out about sonys BMG servers. out of 82, 71 were windows based. 11 were win 2000 and 60 were win 2003. Their were 10 macs , 4 running 10.4 and 6 running 10.5.
Other then SQL injection they talk about, some of these servers are getting on in age. I'm not experienced in this stuff but The advice I get here from the members and the OS companies is that we need to leave this old OS software behind and move forward because their just waiting to be hacked by some unscrupulous individuals.
As an example sony is constantly upgrading their firm ware on the PS3 maybe they should heed their own advice and start upgrading their servers. SET THE EXAMPLE SONY.:)

The info LutzSec gave out about sonys BMG servers. out of 82, 71 were windows based. 11 were win 2000 and 60 were win 2003. Their were 10 macs , 4 running 10.4 and 6 running 10.5.
Other then SQL injection they talk about, some of these servers are getting on in age. I'm not experienced in this stuff but The advice I get here from the members and the OS companies is that we need to leave this old OS software behind and move forward because their just waiting to be hacked by some unscrupulous individuals.
As an example sony is constantly upgrading their firm ware on the PS3 maybe they should heed their own advice and start upgrading their servers. SET THE EXAMPLE SONY.:)
Sorry wrong thread.

I am with the other guy who said they need to find some girl friends / boy friends. Hey, why don't we toss a hat in the middle of the table - so to speak - and all pitch in to "hire" them the boy / girl next door" to be their "Friend" ;) Then perhaps they would have something Other than the PC to keep them busy.

Just a thought,
G

They even hacked a senators twitter account and posted a picture of his wiener on it :)
These guys are good.

[tinfoil hat]

[/tinfoil hat]

You have certainly out tin-foil'd everyone here. Free Chipotle burrito for you!

Lulz at all the /tinfoil hat.

Seriously guys, I don't think you're taking into consideration how retarted our politicians are when it comes to technology. Look at Weiner, what an idiot. To them, teh interwebs are some crazy bunch of tubes!

http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/the-internet-a-series-of-tubes.jpg?w=712&h=622

I'm not a "zomg the twin towers was an inside job kind of guy", but i think the governing of the internet could actually happen, and I think you'd be retarted not to be able to see it coming up on the horizon.

It really cracks me up actually, all the guys with 8-9 years on here are the ones callin me out for gettin my panties in a bunch. You "vets", of all the people on here, should be seeing the same viewpoint I do. How can you not be a little worried that you have people creating laws to govern the internet when they don't understand it?

@Ghost6303: You're a douchetard. Are you happy that your epeen is larger than mine? I don't fully understand "those" groups but I have a solid grasp of who and what they stand for. To say I have a "news media" level of understanding of anything for that matter is offensive to say the least. Please do not insult my intelligence.

The funny part is that I fully agree with you. I feel the exact same way about that as you do. I just don't agree with the methods by which LulzSec and others are going about "highlighting" these secutrity flaws. If they did what they did when they hacked Nintendo and told them about the flaws and let them fix it without stealing anything, then by all means, thats fine by me. To steal credit card data and do who knows what with it, you cross a line just to make a point. Yes, some companies deserve it be made a point of if they aren't listening or being down right in denial about their vulnerabilities. Call me a moralfag if you will, but I just don't how they're conducting themselves is helping anything.

They deserve to get hacked for the abominations they call OFP: Dragon Rising and OFP: Red River.

Alright, what is with the recent round of hacking on pretty much any target we see around? I know zero about the community so I ask the [H] community who may have "heard something" is there a new exploit that is just going around? I mean, who knows what back end all of these companies (Sony, KeepVault, etc...) are using but it has been a pretty common occurrence lately.

It's actually more that after the wonderful sensationalized sony headlines, any small hack is also making headlines, just the way the news works. The reality is various sites were getting hacked on weekly / daily basis before hand, and it'll still keep going on afterwords when it's no longer big news.

Lemme guess:

the "ignorant" politicians the "knowledgable" hackers are working for the same team. It's like volleyball.

World of Tanks Dude! so keep the Russians :D

Back