COD4 MP trash in the wind

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
I had a hard time thinking of an accurate title for this thread.

In COD4 multiplayer there is lots of debris on most maps that looks like paper flying around in the wind. Most of the time I don't notice it but often it can trick my eye into thinking that I saw player motion. Since this game is a twitch reflex game like CS, having my eyes distracted by map effects for even a split second can have a direct impact on my score. I notice this most when either going hard on the offensive and working with enemies all around me or when sniping (camping).
I actually like this map effect because it does ad realism and immersion to the game, but I am wondering if it can be turned off in graphics settings. I any players are able to turn this off then they have a distinct advantage over those who leave it on. If you can turn it off, then how? I would obviously like to join the club since I want to turn my frequent #2 finishes into #1.
Also, feel free to chime in on how you feel about this leaf in the wind atmospheric effect and how you think it affects game play.
Thanks.

I know what you mean. I was playin last night and ran because i thought i saw a gernade. It ended up being a can.

I notice it, but the majority of the time I do notice them, they have a high shine/reflection on them. I have yet to confuse the particles for a player, since players don't float in the air and shine ;)

Personally, I've never been close enough to not get 1st place to be in a similar situation as yours. I'm either way in 1st, or I'm way in 2nd or 3rd. I could never blame dust or cans on what happened in the game. I just blame h4x and n00bs...seems to be the trend anyway... ;)

I wasn't blaming anything. Just wondering about what tweaks people are using since that would seem like an obvious one.

I havn't turned it off. But I'm running at 1920x1200 with max settings, so trash looks like trash and people coming to kill me look like people coming to KILL ME! ;p

Seriously though I know what you mean. I havn't tried to turn it off. But I did turn off all the HDR stuff in CS:S when I was playing that. I've just gotten use to it. (And I am usally in the upper range of the scores)

A friend of mine has been working on some custom maps and has had problems with the "script" used to create the falling debris.

Based on that I can tell you that debris are actual objects compiled into the map, therefore I highly doubt it is possible to disable these, as much as I would like to aswell.

Back