COD3 Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii

The 360 version looks sharper and the textures look quite a bit better than the PS3 version to me.

Wow....I could definitely see a difference and the 360 looked the best to me. The PS3 graphics seemed kind of washed out and the Wii......well, welcome to 5 years ago. :eek: Of course with the Wii that isn't the sort of game you're buying the console for.

I assume all screenshots were taken using the same tv/monitor.. any idea what connections were used for each console?

joemama said:
Wow....I could definitely see a difference and the 360 looked the best to me. The PS3 graphics seemed kind of washed out and the Wii......well, welcome to 5 years ago. :eek: Of course with the Wii that isn't the sort of game you're buying the console for.

I assume all screenshots were taken using the same tv/monitor.. any idea what connections were used for each console?

The videos were more than likely made from conecting the consoles to a PC with a vid capture card. The 360 deffinately have sharper textures over the PS3, the 360 is darker but I think it suits the game better than the super lit washed out look of the PS3. And as others have said the Wii cannot compete graphically but it was never meant to either.

I own a 360, and to me there were times when the higher brightness of the PS3 made things look better, and times when it really doesn't work out (especially the night scene).

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
seems like X360 = PS3 to me..

no doubt. For PS3's launch games anyways. I definitely don't see anything that justified the year difference between system launches.

The X360 version definitely looks the best. PS3 just looks a bit blurrier and washed out, with simpler lighting. They've done a brilliant job with the Wii version, it's very close to the other two.

The only problem with these comparisons is that the game is developed for one console mainly, then ported over to the others. So whichever is main will always have an edge, slights as it may be.

pigpen said:
no doubt. For PS3's launch games anyways. I definitely don't see anything that justified the year difference between system launches.
You will never see a difference when a game is made for PS3/360. They are straight ports of the art assets. It's too exspensive to break development for two different platforms. And the ported games aim for the XB360 sweet-spot of 720p. Wii will not have the advanced lighting that the PS3/360 have on that scale, but still it looks good.

It's really hard to be a 3rd party game developer today. And now devs have to choose sides and it sucks for the consumer. :(

Why did the OP link to the MOV version??

Seriously, every time someone links to GT, someone always links to the quicktime version. I hate quicktime and so does everyone else.

The Wii version is over composite apparently.

Staples said:
Why did the OP link to the MOV version??

Seriously, every time someone links to GT, someone always links to the quicktime version. I hate quicktime and so does everyone else.
It's a good thing you know what everyone else wants. Thank you!

Lamont said:
You will never see a difference when a game is made for PS3/360. They are straight ports of the art assets.

What?

Using the same models and textures is one thing, rendering them similarly is another.

So, yes you can see a difference because there is different hardware.

J-Mag said:
What?

Using the same models and textures is one thing, rendering them similarly is another.

So, yes you can see a difference because there is different hardware.
Of course, both treat shaders differently, that goes w/out saying. But you won't see a company go out of their way to pull the power of each system.

Lamont said:
Of course, both treat shaders differently, that goes w/out saying. But you won't see a company go out of their way to pull the power of each system.
No, but if you run a mythical COD3 on a PC with a 7800GT as well as another PC with an 880GTS, it's trivial to turn the AA, AF, lighting, shadow, and texture detail up a bit on the 8800GTS while maintaining the same assets and performance.

Sony would have you believe that the price difference is justified by this kind of difference between the machines, but clearly, unless developers simply aren't using the system's horsepower at this point, we're dealing with 7800GT vs 7800GT kinda turf here.

Burning_Monk said:
...still waiting for the PC version.

Keep waiting, COD3 is a console exclusive, COD4 which is being made my some game studio is coming out for PC sooner or later....

unless developers simply aren't using the system's horsepower at this point, we're dealing with 7800GT vs 7800GT kinda turf here.
I agree. And usually when I buy a game, I get it for the system it was first launched on...

r_a_s88 said:
to be honest, i didnt think the wii version looked ALL THAT BAD

I see the differences, and I think those differences are worth the price differential to the Xbox 360 Core pack, but not the Premium, and especially not the PS3. I'll get a PS3 and 360 when they come down in price, but then again, I'm waiting for the Wii to come down in price before I get it, since I'm such a cheap ass.

If you stop the video and scroll through it manually, you can tell the 360 version is a bit sharper than PS3. The Wii version, while still ok, is akin to what you'd see on the xbox(1) and ps2.

On the other hand, I do prefer to be able to see more of the details at night as on the PS3 vid.
Is there a brightness setting you can adjust in the game for the 360?

ZeroH said:
Is there a brightness setting you can adjust in the game for the 360?
Yes, and its frustrating cause it doesn't work for multi(so I can't see shit) and I have to reset it every time I put COD3 back in.

sdk said:
Keep waiting, COD3 is a console exclusive, COD4 which is being made my some game studio is coming out for PC sooner or later....

Which is downright appalling considering CoD became popular on PC and now its gone and forsaken its home...its not fair. I am sick of the PC getting shafted all the time like this. Its just not fair :'(

(Adds to the great PC Games screwed by consoles list)
1) Deus Ex 2
2) Ghost Recon
3) Rainbow Six
3) Call of Duty

stabilep said:
Which is downright appalling considering CoD became popular on PC and now its gone and forsaken its home...its not fair. I am sick of the PC getting shafted all the time like this. Its just not fair :'(

1) Deus Ex 2
2) Ghost Recon
3) Rainbow Six
3) Call of Duty

I use to be a hardcore PC gamer.. but i made teh swtich..

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
I use to be a hardcore PC gamer.. but i made teh swtich..
I gave up when I built my system right before PCI-E become popular and Video cards manufactures decided to all but abandon AGP 8x when its full potential was never hit like PCI......I don't have the money to switch out my cpu video card ram powersupply and motherboard all at once.....so I said fuck PC gaming

The 360 is definitely much sharper, I was expecting the PS3 to superior (victim of its own hype?). But to be fare if the PS3 and 360 weren't running side by side id be hard pushed to tell the difference. The wii done great considering its hardware limitations, Nintendo have done well.

I own a 360 btw

Other than what appeared to be a different gamma setting or something the PS3 and X360 looked identical to me.

Bad luck Sony.

I actually thought the Wii looked ok. As for sharpness and detail I was impressed with the 360.
I have both a 360 version and the Wii version and the difference is in the way the game is played for me. I can live with muddier graphics on the wii for the way it is played.

You have to realize that you're watching those videos on a much smaller screen than you would in real gameplay. Any difference between the three consoles will be magnified by the larger viewing area.

From that video COD3 looks great on the 360/PS3 yet looks horrible on the Wii.

For anyone that owns a 360/Wii or PS3/Wii for which console did your purchase COD3?

I also didn't think the Wii version looked too bad. Certainly not the same level of detail/shading of the other consoles, but not bad.

It is...I guess ironic would be the word to use, to see the Xbox and it's "less powerful architecture," using technology that's both older and less "high end" better the PS3.

I used to be a PC specific gamer as well, but lately I've been thinking of making the switch simply for the sake of expences. Take Gears of War for instance. I would love to play the game. I think it's probably the most impressive game out right now (and I've got a Wii and Zelda) and "supposedly" it going to come out on PC. But to play it I've got to upgrade pretty much every aspect of my computer. My video card, my CPU, my RAM, Mobo, PSU, and probably get a new monitor to play it in widescreen. Now add that up.

Or, I can buy a $300 Xbox 360 and the game and get an experience that's similar or better to the one I'd get in a year or so on the PC. I'll probably never be as good at aiming using two sticks as opposed to the mouse, but that's about my only gripe.

stabilep said:

1) Deus Ex 2
2) Ghost Recon
3) Rainbow Six
3) Call of Duty

exactly

i've been playing every version of call of duty since 1.1 (god bless the m1a1 carbine of death) and i was pretty angry when i heard that CoD3 was console exclusive

so i just decided screw it, more time to play CS on the PC :)

stabilep said:

1) Deus Ex 2
2) Ghost Recon
3) Rainbow Six
3) Call of Duty
Up until this past summer I thought the same way you do. I spent over 2 months trying to put together a fully functioning SLI machine capable of running FEAR and Oblivion (7900GT fiasco) and I finally decided that pc hardware makers (with videocard makers and their six month refreshes leading the charge) are shafting themselves. By the time I put together the rig in my sig (and got it working properly) it was already well on it's way to being outclassed by newer hardware. I recently bought a 360 and now can't imagine dumping loads of cash trying to make sure my pc can stand up to the latest, greatest game. ;)

COD3 is a renter for me and the Wii just to see how it feels to play a FPS with the Wii controls. I will probably purchase it for the Xbox 360 because it has a multiplayer online mode.

360 looked best.
Wii looked like it was being run over composite (look at the text, its blurry, its definatly not in 480p and I doubt they were using Svideo..), and looks like it was a very sloppy port.. why? Cuase I'd almost say that RE4 on the cube looks better than that. Then again, Im comparing it to RE4 over svideo...

Id like to see what it looks like on the Wii in 16x9 480p. It still wont be as nice as the 360, but everything should be a shitload sharper.

lithium726 said:
360 looked best.
Wii looked like it was being run over components, and looks like it was a very sloppy port.. why? Cuase I'd almost say that RE4 on the cube looks better than that.

Id like to see what it looks like on the Wii in 16x9 480p.
I assume you meant composite, and I agree.

Back