CoD2 or DoD:S for Online WWII FPS

Which one should I get at this point? I've looked at reviews from both games. How is online gameplay now that both have been out for a year? I've always liked the orignal MoH and haven't found anything like it since.

COD2 seems more "arcadey" than DOD:S, so if you like a faster-paced shooting experience, try it out. I prefer DOD:S.

I play both of them, and they each have their ups and downs. CoD2 is good for times when you want a good deathmatch style run and gun game, DoD is much slower paced. The guns in CoD2 are pretty easy to spray with and get kills, while in DoD you need to fire in small bursts if you want to hit anything.

IMO DoD is the better of the two. If you like a team based game more, I'd say get DoD, if you like to play solo and mostly play deathmatch, get COD2.

Never played CoD 2's multiplayer, but damn, the gameplay must be FAST if DOD:S is slow compared to it. I'd highly recommend DOD:S, I still play it daily and it's a lot of fun and team oriented.

OK, thanks everyone. I bought DoD:S last night on Steam. Wow, this game is fun as hell. EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks.

This game looks great at 1920x1200 too! :D

I like the United Offensive expansion pack for CoD better than CoD2.

I have both and they are both good but I like COD2 better.

But I have to say, nothing even comes close to COD:UO multiplayer.

Good decision maverick777.

About the United Offensive expansion for COD, now that was a good game. I played it for years!

Neither, they are just unfun rehashes. Try Red Orchestra :) There is truly nothing like it.

Playing COD2 on a server with the WRM realism mod is fantastic. Much slower, much more realistic weapon effects, no crosshairs, player labels, axis/allies bubbles, etc.

jiffypop said:
Cod2 is a much better game.

What makes it a much better game?

Do a lot of people still play CoD:UO?

I looked at Red Orchestra as well, but I just didn't see as much interest in it as I did with DoD:S and CoD.

I just wanted a shooter that was different than CS:S (evironmentally) and something to hold me over until Quake Wars and UT2K7 comes out. :D

DOD:S the gameplay and community are better. A lot more teamwork and maturity on public servers compared to CSS, BF2, or COD2.

Red Orchestra: Ost Front is a great game as well, I play it more than DOD:S. Wait for one of the free weekends and test it out, I think you'll like it if you're into WW2 FPS's like me.

www.redorchestragame.com

Red Orchestra has the best realism out of any wwII game. The graphics and movement of the soldiers is Horrible. If Red Orchestra had better graphics it would be "the" game to play.

red orchestra was a great game from what i remember. now that it has moved to steam and you have to pay for it, i have not played it. dod:s is a great game too. it is more realistic than CoD2 imo.

Download Red Orchestra for free now and try it. Steam is having a WWII week, in which DODS is having 20% off, the CoD War Chest for 10% off, and a free week of RO.

Yep, I was just about to tell you the free week is running. Check on Steam update news.

DoD:S - as a huge fan of all the CoD games, I can tell you CoD2 MP blows compared to DoD:S - that's just my opinion. and if you have a good vid card, DoD:S is beautiful and CoD2, although it looks good, looks too shiny and plasticy.

CoD:UO is my favorite multiplayer of ALL TIME, but the graphics are obviously dated.

jiffypop said:
Red Orchestra has the best realism out of any wwII game. The graphics and movement of the soldiers is Horrible. If Red Orchestra had better graphics it would be "the" game to play.

o_0 The graphics are very polished. That is as good as the Unreal 2.5 engine has ever looked. It looks a lot better than source for example. Source quite literally looks like a cartoon, but RO looks very crisp and realistic. Having more polygons and overusing shaders doesn't always make graphics "better".

aznpxdd said:
Are you kidding me? RO looks like shit compared to DOD:S.

No. RO looks very crisp and realistic. DoD: S(or anything on the source engine) merely looks like a cartoon.

Devnull said:
No. RO looks very crisp and realistic. DoD: S(or anything on the source engine) merely looks like a cartoon.
Wow......... Source Hater??

I believe that the Steam version of RO is running on the Source engine. Anyway, from what I have seen of RO, the graphics are pretty weak. But they are good enough, I don't pay that much attention to graphics anymore.

Mindriot said:
Wow......... Source Hater??

No, I don't hate source at all. It is a fine engine. It is still true that games made using this engine look VERY cartoonish.

Staples said:
I believe that the Steam version of RO is running on the Source engine. Anyway, from what I have seen of RO, the graphics are pretty weak. But they are good enough, I don't pay that much attention to graphics anymore.

RO uses the Unreal 2.5 engine, not source. Why would they port it over to an engine that they don't even have a license for?

Devnull said:
RO uses the Unreal 2.5 engine, not source. Why would they port it over to an engine that they don't even have a license for?
I don't think they had a license to the Unreal Engine either, that is why it was a mod for UT2004.

how can you look at an outdoor scene from HL2 and say it looks like a cartoon? DoD:S, no way!

i can MAYBE see what you are saying if your talking about character models — humans are still very hard to recreate — but i think source (especially outdoors) is one of the most realistic looking engines out there even right now.

Staples said:
I don't think they had a license to the Unreal Engine either, that is why it was a mod for UT2004.

They won the make something unreal contest :rolleyes:

denaps said:
how can you look at an outdoor scene from HL2 and say it looks like a cartoon? DoD:S, no way!

i can MAYBE see what you are saying if your talking about character models — humans are still very hard to recreate — but i think source (especially outdoors) is one of the most realistic looking engines out there even right now.

It looks like a cartoon, and yes the character models are a part of that.

Devnull said:
They won the make something unreal contest :rolleyes:

It looks like a cartoon, and yes the character models are a part of that.

ok it looks like a cartoon :rolleyes:

Back