COD:MW2...again. Duped into buying on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowspawn

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I was one of the (less verbal) upset PC gamers about COD:MW2. I didn't buy it because I wanted to see how the LAN play worked out.

I saw some coworkers playing it on PS3. They each had a console and a TV and a dumb switch...a mini LAN. I watched as they setup a LAN match and played for several hours with no issue. I saw that there was an option for LAN matchmaking and I thought "great! There is an option to search for LAN games so this is ok. I can deal with the lack of a server as long as I can search for LAN games."

I bought it the next day. Installed it and played the single player. It was enjoyable but now I was ready for the real fun, the LAN gameplay. I run a small business with around 300 people on my network so I started up the multiplayer and looked for the LAN option.

Of course, it isn't there. I thought I was missing something so I compared my friends PS3 menu to the PCs. The option has been removed on the PC. This pisses me off. I don't understand the logic behind the decision to cripple the PC version.

It has nothing to do with Steam. You can play LAN games with other Steam games. It is ridiculously stupid that I cannot simply search for a LAN game in the PC version when I can do just that on the PS3.

I can play a LAN game as long as I know the people that I am playing against and add them to my friends list in Steam. I am required to have a connection to the internet to do this. I don't care about the rankings and such. I just want to shoot people on my LAN without having to go around and meet them all and add them to my friends list. It is ridiculous.

I believed the server issue to be a minor inconvenience at worst. This however, the deliberate crippling of a particular game system over others, is not excuseable. :mad:

Enjoy my 60 dollars IW. You won't be getting anymore.

My apologies for the rant. I didn't really understand the frustration of other PC gamers until now. I guess I will just shelve the game and wait for a patch, if it ever comes.

EDIT Zoobaby - Please don't quote piracy

You can't borrow a copy when it is associated to your Steam account. Not legally and I am not advocating stealing.

A dedicated server would have been nice. I would have placed a server on my network and sold the game at cost to my customers - giving me a place to deathmatch whenever I had the time and providing more incentive for people to join my network. I can deal with this not happening as long as I can search for a LAN game. My service lets people sign into their Steam accounts just fine - so needing an internet connection is not much of an issue either. I just want to be able to search for a LAN game - a functionality that exists in versions on the consoles. Why cripple the PC?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would probably be more fired up about this if I actually played LAN games that often. Though it does irk me that IW would needlessly cripple their own game. Why do it? Trying to curb piracy? Trying to "maintain control of the user experience?"

You can't borrow a copy when it is associated to your Steam account. Not legally and I am not advocating stealing.
He probably has a dedicated account for MW2. If you can sell steam accounts, you can gift them too - even to someone who gifts it right back to you when they're done playing. Steam doesn't care as long as only one person is signed in at any given time.

I'm sorry but this really has been discussion in hundred(s) of pages of threads here. Maybe they crippled it to prevent piracy (with IW.net) which went as well as could be expected. Perhaps it's just a lazy port. How else would they cripple the console versions, beyond what they've done to the PC version?

He probably has a dedicated account for MW2. If you can sell steam accounts, you can gift them too - even to someone who gifts it right back to you when they're done playing. Steam doesn't care as long as only one person is signed in at any given time.

I wasn't aware you could sell or gift accounts. If this is the case then I stand corrected.

The point remains that it never occurred to me that they would deliberately remove the functionality from the PC version. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

I don't buy the piracy thing either. Is it not possible to pirate Xbox and PS3 games? Admittedly, I am not an expert in this field, but I do believe I have read of piracy being just as active on those systems as the PC. I don't see how removing a function of the game for the PC makes it any more secure or makes good business sense.

During one of their many game design meetings they had to discuss the removal of this feature. I just want to understand why they did it.

I don't buy the piracy thing either. Is it not possible to pirate Xbox and PS3 games? Admittedly, I am not an expert in this field, but I do believe I have read of piracy being just as active on those systems as the PC. I don't see how removing a function of the game for the PC makes it any more secure or makes good business sense.

During one of their many game design meetings they had to discuss the removal of this feature. I just want to understand why they did it.
Actually, piracy on the PS3 is pretty much impossible at this point.

it is about piracy. games can be pirated on the 360, but the magnitude of piracy does not compare to the PC. the amount of piracy CoD 4: MW1 experienced on PC probably outnumbered the amount of copies sold for the PC.

and here is the business sense, Activision believes the amount of people that will buy the game greatly outnumbers the people that won't buy the game due to removal of features and as a result, revenue/profit will be greater.

example:

mw2_boycott.jpg

I would appreciate a proper conversation to keep my thread on track, thanks.
To avoid a lock, perhaps someone out there has insight as to why they would choose to cripple the PC version over others?

dood no. This is beyond dead horse. This is decayed corpse, flys-a-buzzin, stack-o'-bones
dead horse

If you want to have a proper conversation, I'd suggest chiming in on one of the dozens and dozens of threads out there to voice your concerns / questions.

Yes, the PC version got "nerf'd"
Yes, there's been a huge uproar
No, IW isn't shivering in fear that they'll lose our market

My suggestion: Take it for what it is... a VIDEO GAME there to provide us w/ some entertainment.
This isn't the government raising taxes. This isn't a violation of our human rights...
It's kids, teenagers, and sometimes grown-ass men clicking around on a computer shooting each other virtually on a video game.

Well, since the game has reached the 1 billion dollar mark I guess the opinions of a few PC gamers doesn't matter. Because of their success I am sure many other game companies will follow suite.

I hope 2009 won't be the year that I lost interest in gaming. This one game will do more to damage LAN and PC gaming. One day I'll talk to my grandchildren about these things called LAN parties...

I'm going to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back