CoD keeps making my system crash (at least, I think that's the cause)

Jäger

Limp Gawd
every time i try to play CoD, my computer crashes. i have searched google and download every fix, tried all the different drivers different sites have suggested, and still the problem pertains.

specs:
amd 2500+
radeon 9500
512 ddr pc 2100
winxp home

now then, the game doesnt crash to windows, i dont get a bsod, no error even shows up. my computer just turns freezes while playing, and on rare occurance "shuts off". i put that in quotes because it doesn't turn itself fully off. the pwoer light stays on but all fans stop. my led fans stays lit though. no errors ever pop up. i never had this problem until i got cod.

i had my system overclocked, but set everything back to default and this problem still persists.

as soon as i get back to austin (i'm at my parent's house for vacation right now) i will probably format if nothing else works.

Are you running the pc2100 at 166 or just running that 2500 at 133? If you are running the ram at 166 maybe the pc2100 doesn't like that.

-as i stated above, i have tried every catalist from 3.7-3.10 plus installing the cod fix (that is included in the 3.10 drivers) by itself.

-i don't see why my computer would decide to run unstable now, as it has run perfectly fine with the processor overclocked and the ram untouched since june when the machine was put together.

Just for grins, try to run your proc at stock speeds and see what happens. I personally didn't have a problem running it with an overclocked proc, but I have read a couple posts about that giving people some issues with CoD only.

I had the same problem. So what I did was un-install it, then rebooted in safe mode and, then installed it again. It worked for me. I also installed some patches from MS the related to XP and, certain game video problems. Good Luck!

Originally posted by Joves
I also installed some patches from MS the related to XP and, certain game video problems. Good Luck!

I'm having the same problem. Do you have remember which patches exactly you used?

Try running at a lower resolution and lower the sound quality for a bit. Run the game for awhile like that, then save.. and quit and reload the game - but this time kick up your settings a notch, back to where they were.

See if that helps, it seemed to help me when I was playing it. I had the problem where it would freeze the entire system, kill the display.. but keep playing the sound. On occasions, it would in fact shut my system off..

Good luck!

i *think* i found out the problem. it seems like my system was overheating. i removed the side panel to help ventilation and it hasn't locked up since. *crosses fingers*

Back