CoD Has Ruined A Generation of Shooter Players

Nobody on COD can take a Quake player, but a Quake player can take a COD player with practice. Just my opinion on things.

And does that make a difference to anyone who matters (anyone who matters being the majority and/or the people responsible for making the game)? I don't think the plethora of people playing COD care all that much and the percentage of people who actually want to play competitively at the highest level for it to make a difference is like, what, 1%?

COD is a more mainstream game, so even taking out the differences in the game itself, when you go online in COD you are more likely to be playing against people with sub-1000 hours of experience in FPS games. So naturally it's going to feel like everyone is a noob when you play COD compared to a game where everyone playing has 1-10 thousand hours of experience.

I don't know, every Cryengine game ever has some degree of motion blurriness. As soon as stuff starts moving you can tell it's Cryengine. But the still shots look nice! :D

I thought once it was turned off it was off. Maybe I just never noticed it once it was set to low/off.

The bigger problem with nexuiz was that the devlopers stole the game in a very controversial fashion and doing so all the people who would have supported it online boycotted it. Killed it dead in its tracks right there.

And does that make a difference to anyone who matters (anyone who matters being the majority and/or the people responsible for making the game)? I don't think the plethora of people playing COD care all that much and the percentage of people who actually want to play competitively at the highest level for it to make a difference is like, what, 1%?

COD is a more mainstream game, so even taking out the differences in the game itself, when you go online in COD you are more likely to be playing against people with sub-1000 hours of experience in FPS games. So naturally it's going to feel like everyone is a noob when you play COD compared to a game where everyone playing has 1-10 thousand hours of experience.

COD is what happens when a FPS goes mainstream. Quake was very popular and quasi mainstream if you ask me, but never had that "average joe" mainstream pick up.

Bull shit. COD has some fast twitchy playing mofos that can "hang" with the big nutts

Models move slower in CoD are relatively larger and aiming is easier. In terms of aim and reflexes, I don't think CoD comes close to Quake and definitely not CS. That said, CoD does require much better vision than the other games, and that's a physical skill no one gives it credit for. It's kind of an annoying one, imo, but it's true. In Quake and CS, it's extremely evident when people are on the screen and you know exactly where they have to be coming from.

Bull shit. COD has some fast twitchy playing mofos that can "hang" with the big nutts

I'd love to see how they do playing some old-school Lithuim 2 instagib with fast hook. I used to play that on dialup. You want some twitch skill? Throw 200+ ping in there and predict against an LPB, then top the server in Frags Per Hour as well as score. That's about as hardcore as you'd ever see for twitch playing. You won't find that sort of play in CoD, and none of the CoD players of today would last 5 minutes in that kind of game. They'd all rage quit and whine about it not being like CoD.

Too many of today's gamers are inflexible, and they're niched into exactly one game style. Developers run into a catch-22 where they need to do something different, but in trying to do something different they get the "This sucks, it's not like CoD" reaction from the CoD crowd, then when they try to mimic game mechanics from CoD they still lose because it's still not CoD. I think it's a result of the gamers being hand-held too much. They want the quick and easy kill, no learning curve, no building up of skills... just plug in, push a button and watch someone else die and feel good about yourself because you "0wn3d" someone, when in actuality the autoaim did the work for you. Older games were a lot harder. Arcade games from the 80's are the golden example of how far things have slacked. The CoD generation never played Sinistar or the original Pac-Man, or Defender. You didn't last very long in those games because they were made to separate players from their quarters, so they were very, very difficult to master. The upside is that you had a huge variety of games, so if you didn't do well with one game you might do really well with another. I don't think most modern games are challenging enough, and I think that's hurting gaming as a whole.

One might ask... if the CoD players don't seem interested in playing anything else, why bother worrying about them when making a game? That would seem to be the logical path, but when money and making a profit come into the picture the developers get squeezed by the publishers to "play it safe" and "do what works, like those guys over there that are making lots of money are doing". That's the bigger problem. It becomes a self-inflicted cycle, and unless you're self-publishing with a lot of resources to back you - I can think of exactly one company in that position at present - it's a very difficult situation to avoid.

Uh... that's not much of a list there. Got anything beyond that? :confused:

I have, it doesn't. Sorry. This is why you will never see widespread integration of PC shooter servers and Console servers. Because the console kiddies would just get destroyed by the PC players all day long. Sorry but a controller is just utterly inferior to a kb/mouse combo.

That's not what I said. I said there is a huge gap between an amazing console shooter player and a good one.

Back