COD: Black Ops - Steamworks game but no preorder?

ScYcS

2[H]4U
Seems a little odd to me that the game is appearantly tied to your Steam account but yet, even though it's release is imminent, there is no advertising or pre-order via steam to be seen.

Does anyone know what i'm missing here?

I thought there was already and pre-order up a while back then it got dropped, limited edition or something.
There's still almost 3 weeks left till it's release, still time.

Amazon doesn't accept paypal and i have funds i want to use in my paypal account.

It would be guaranteed that it will turn up between now and launch. Its current absence probably seems strange because the new MOH was on Steam pre-order for around four months before release, but that was more to do with getting the game's profile out and about in the PC community and sucker people who loved MOH:AA in to pre-order.

They are probably still working out the details. JD_2020 keeps tweeting all these things you get for preordering the special edition console versions like 4 bonus maps from World at War. Of course I haven't seen him respond to what about PC players since we only have one version.

Probably cause they want people to buy it in the store before straight from Steam. So they get more money. Sounds like something Activision would do.

How would they get more money from a store? Steam doesn't have any distribution overhead charge to the publisher, yet they still charge the same retail price. No cost for packaging, media creation, distribution. Nada. Just a hard digital drop that Steam hosts. And even w/ Steam service charges back to the publishers, I can't imagine that would cost more than having to create, box and ship multiple thousands of copies.

How would they get more money from a store? Steam doesn't have any distribution overhead charge to the publisher, yet they still charge the same retail price. No cost for packaging, media creation, distribution. Nada. Just a hard digital drop that Steam hosts. And even w/ Steam service charges back to the publishers, I can't imagine that would cost more than having to create, box and ship multiple thousands of copies.

More people get money if you buy it from a store rather than online...such as, for example, the store. B&M stores (such as Gamestop and Best Buy) have rather close relationships with publishers and distributors of physical game media. As such, they don't want to lose release-day sales and foot traffic from Steam. Hence, Steam prices usually do not vary significantly from retail prices, and sometimes preorders or preloads are limited.

Last edited:
The store does, but what does that do for Activision in that scenario? Kick backs from the stores by allowing them to be in on the sales?

If Activision was being stupid greedy, they'd Steam it first.

The store does, but what does that do for Activision in that scenario? Kick backs to the stores by allowing them to be in on the sales?

If Activision was being stupid greedy, they'd Steam it first.

I didn't say they were being greedy. A very simple scanario would be that if a publisher like Activision refused to allow physical retail sales at, for example, Gamestop to occur before digital distribution commenced, Gamestop could very easily limit shelf space for Activision's titles.

Catch 22 in that scenario. Gamestop isn't the only game in town (yes, I know that was bad). And Gamestop needs class A titles to bring in customers. If they start being wangs about shelf space because of something like that, Activision can take their ball and go somewhere else.

Start offering SEs to other stores, doing like they're already doing now where you buy it from store X you get this bonus package, store Y this one. Maybe Gamestop magically gets shut out of those.

But Activision needs Gamestops nearly as much.

Anyway, hypothesizing the actions of a publisher is like trying to read the mind of Paris Hilton. Just a vast and empty wasteland of inane babble.

Wow. I wasn't really excited for this till I saw Gun Game in the game modes. That is going to be fucking awesome if it's like CS:S Gun Game.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back