Cod black ops: give me the run down

MisterClean

2[H]4U
I'm trying to decide if I should spend thr money on this one. I played mw1 and enjoyed the single player, but didn't play mp. I've been lplauing bc2 and love it, but this last patch is frustrating me to the point of looking for something else to play. Unfortunately I don't know anything at all about black ops. Can someone give me the rundown on this game?

I want to know things like how long is single player? What mp modes are there? Max players? Vehicles? Destructable environments? Wil there be mods?

The only thing I know about it is that treyarch is making this one (didn't they make cod mw1?) and that it will have dedicated servers.

I didn't like mw2. Just about everything about it turned me off, I'm sure everyones familiar with the common list of complaints, so I won't list them. Have they done anything to address the problems?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Thanks for the links. I'm on graveyards for the next 4 nights so I won't be buying it until I get off anyway. Hopefully they'll have fixed things and I'll have made up my mind by then.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I think we need a few more black ops threads in this forum :p.

Lol, seriously, half the 1st page of the PC sub forum is black ops threads :eek:..

Is it possible to change the FOV in Black Ops?

It's impossible to enjoy WAW and MW2 with the horrible console 60° FOV. If you can't get multiplayer gameplay with at least 75-90° FOV, I'm not buying this game. In the games after COD4MW, the console commands for FOV were locked out to prevent any actual change.

It's impossible to enjoy WAW and MW2 with the horrible console 60° FOV. If you can't get multiplayer gameplay with at least 75-90° FOV, I'm not buying this game. In the games after COD4MW, the console commands for FOV were locked out to prevent any actual change.

its suppose to have the console back since its built on cod4. its not like the console was ever missing to begin with, just the hotkey to access it was removed in mw2.

...crap. Forgot about the whole FoV thing when I bought the PC version. I can't tolerate low FoV with mouse+kb :(

I just waited in line for 30 minutes at 12:01am at Best Buy and picked up 2 of the PS3 versions one for my kid and one for a buddy. It's so bad I think my buddy may just return his copy. The graphics are not even remotely close to MW2 which we all have hundreds of hours on. I think WAW graphics are better.

Mac

its suppose to have the console back since its built on cod4. its not like the console was ever missing to begin with, just the hotkey to access it was removed in mw2.

World at War had console as well, but the commands had no real effect when you input them in, they were locked out even if you could type them into console. You had to go into dev_map mode or whatever in order to do that and of course, you can't do it online.

Of recent games, at least BFBC2 allowed FOV changes.

Supposedly the FOV can be changed, up to a max of 80. This is according to an interview with the developers a few days ago. I haven't seen a verification of this from anyone who has the game yet, though.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming-Gadgets-eReaders/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Developer-Chat-Transcript/m-p/173956

The run down is as follows :

Single player rocks , I'm enjoying it quite a bit. MP is set up well but isn't quite optimized and there are issues of random "hitching" where the player will freeze for a second and then continue. Even though graphically its not that much different than MW2 it seems more demanding by far or poorly coded.

If you wanna enjoy the SP and Zombie mode (which suffers none of the regular MP issues) than buy it , its worth it for that lone. If you don't mind waiting for some patches to fix up the MP than its completely the total package and will keep you happy a long time.

Lots of people seem to forget what a mess the BFBC2 launch was , there were hundreds and hundreds of pages on the official support forums with all kinds of issues .. it was a complete mess. DICE released about 4 or 5 patches and finally fixed a majority of the CTDs , random disconnects and freezing. However since CoD is such a big franchise its probably under a far more narrow microscope and people won't forgive the slightest error .. its PC gaming after all .. this shit happens.

BFBC2 launch was shakey mainly due to the load on their master server, I think they severely underestimated how many players they would during the first 24-48 hours. That was cleared up in a day or so, you may have had bugs or issues that took 4-5 patches to fix but the reality is that most people did not.

As for Black Ops, we'll have to wait and see.

My opinions:

Single player - has been fun, am not close to done with it yet though. Tons of profanity, which is disappointing IMO.

Multi player - Zombie mode is apparantly broken ATM. Reguler mp is fun, i'm starting to learn the maps and have some rather ownage rounds now. Servers were crazy laggy this morning for me, and when I was playing with my brother (in the same room as me), one of us would disconnect every 5 minutes, and it was super choppy. He's been at class for the past few hours, and i've found a few fairly stable servers where I get very minimal lag (although still some). Only been disconnected once (not sure if this is because he isn't playing too, or if the servers are starting to suck less than they did earlier).

My opinions:

Single player - has been fun, am not close to done with it yet though. Tons of profanity, which is disappointing IMO.

Multi player - Zombie mode is apparantly broken ATM. Reguler mp is fun, i'm starting to learn the maps and have some rather ownage rounds now. Servers were crazy laggy this morning for me, and when I was playing with my brother (in the same room as me), one of us would disconnect every 5 minutes, and it was super choppy. He's been at class for the past few hours, and i've found a few fairly stable servers where I get very minimal lag (although still some). Only been disconnected once (not sure if this is because he isn't playing too, or if the servers are starting to suck less than they did earlier).

Servers are still ridiculously laggy. Feel like im on ice skates playing with the banding and skipping of character models. Hopefully they do something to smooth this netcode out soon or serverside. Didnt have this problem when it was P2P :)

BFBC2 launch was shakey mainly due to the load on their master server, I think they severely underestimated how many players they would during the first 24-48 hours. That was cleared up in a day or so, you may have had bugs or issues that took 4-5 patches to fix but the reality is that most people did not.

As for Black Ops, we'll have to wait and see.

It was shaky for a huge list of reasons , CTDs were a big issue for a lot of people until AMD/Nvidia released new sets of drivers and BFBC2 was a few patches in. Random disconnects didn't go away for quite a while and it was horrible to be in a big long game only to have the entire history of it erased because the game didn't bother to update your stats because you were disconnected.

If you looked at the official support forums it was overflowing with crash bugs , disconnects , account issues .. there was seriously close to a thousand pages after about a week or more. However even despite this there were people that didn't experience any thing but a small 24-48 hour Master Server bug .. but people were screaming in forums across the internet about how much they hate DICE and how every game they release now is console garbage run off and that it would never be fixed .. cry cry whine whine for the most part.

Now it works just fine and they've balanced things (at least some things) to a degree and I haven't had a crash in months.

The PC gaming community seems to have random schizophrenia except also a touch of purely selective memory since the only game that matters or is worth bitching about is the one that isn't working 100 percent correctly at launch. Then the game gets patched and its all cake ..

As far as the current lag (not hitching) that people are seeing .. thats pretty typical for a day one major release for an FPS.

I bought the 360 version because I've got 2 brothers that are console only users and we enjoy gaming together .. the lobby shows there are around 2.3+ million people online and while thats xbox live ..thats huge. So there is quite a demand being put on the Master Server right now.

Last edited:
Wow, didn't even know about this - yet another COD game, really? This is beyond a cash cow... it's a cash bull.

Back