COD Black Ops - Definitive FPS improvment + Benchmarks

s0urce

n00b
So I decided to run some benchmarks of COD Black ops for the hell of it.
I've been itching to squeeze some extra frames out of this game. I think it's pretty obvious what needs to be done here. Notice how Crossfire currently causes a huge performance hit. Disable your Crossfire in ATI CCC, and hope for some profiles soon.

In benchmarks below Crossfire Enabled/Disabled is changed with the ATI Catalyst Control Center.

2x ATI 5770 Xfire
Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.9ghz
Latest Catalyst 10.10
Call of Duty: Black Ops @ 1920x1080

Crossfire Enabled in ATI CCC
r_multithreaded_device "0"
r_multiGpu "1"
Min 25
Max 84
Avg 57

Crossfire Enabled in ATI CCC
r_multithreaded_device "1"
r_multiGpu "1"
Min 27
Max 76
Avg 56

Crossfire DISABLED in ATI CCC

r_multiGpu "1"

Min 77
Max 93
Avg 90

[/B]Crossfire DISABLED in ATI CCC
r_multithreaded_device "0"
r_multiGpu "1"
Min 61
Max 94
Avg 89

Crossfire DISABLED in ATI CCC

r_multiGpu "0"

Min 77
Max 94
Avg 89

Crossfire ENABLED in ATI CCC
r_multiGpu "0"
Min 30
Max 83
Avg 57

So there you have it folks. For those of you with multiple ATI GPU's it's apparent (on my setup at least) that disabling Crossfire in your ATI CCC yields higher frames per second. The r_multiGpu cvar appears to have little to no affect on circumventing this "crossfire bug". Again, your results may vary. But give this a shot. Try any of the above configurations in green and let me know if this helped you out.

Crossfire is behaving properly for me. Scaling isn't stellar, but it's there. What are your settings other than resolution?

I benched 1 minute of my most recent multiplayer match using the theatre.

Settings: 5760x1080, 4xAA, everything else maxed.

Single 5870:
Min: 42
Max: 66
Avg: 55.56

Crossifre 5870:
Min: 48
Max: 94
Avg: 75.95

Interesting. Could be specific to the 5770's in Crossfire. A user from another board with 5770's had an improvement as well.

Full Screen, AA Off, Sync Every Frame Off

Did you disable Xfire in ATI CCC? Also, what drivers are you using? Could be 10.10 causing me problems.

Crossfire is behaving properly for me. Scaling isn't stellar, but it's there. What are your settings other than resolution?

I benched 1 minute of my most recent multiplayer match using the theatre.

Settings: 5760x1080, 4xAA, everything else maxed.

Single 5870:
Min: 42
Max: 66
Avg: 55.56

Crossifre 5870:
Min: 48
Max: 94
Avg: 75.95

Yeah, what drivers are you using? My results are the opposite using two 5870s in CFX. I'm playing at 1920x1200 at maximum settings, except AA and vsync are off. My results are from a replay of a TDM on the map Hanoi.

CFX disabled: average FPS in the 70s-80s, maximum was 91
CFX enabled: average FPS in the 40s-50s, maximum in the high 50s

I'm just going to wait until AMD releases a new driver/CAP update to fix CFX for Black Ops.

I was wondering what other people were getting FPS wise in BO with their rigs. I am a little disappointed in the performance of my GTX 460. I average 60 FPS in the MP and I was expecting more. Other games (MOH) I am averaging 95 FPS. Any thoughts on this???

I'd like to point out that turning AA off DECREASED my framerates. Try turning it on. It's very odd.

I'm using the 10.10 drivers from AMD's website.

I'd like to point out that turning AA off DECREASED my framerates. Try turning it on. It's very odd.

I'm using the 10.10 drivers from AMD's website.

Same here. 2x AA and 4x AA have better performance than AA off.

On my 4850 Crossifre, the game is definitely better with Crossfire off. With crossfire enabled it will double framerates in some areas (say 75 FPS), other areas will be like (25FPS). With only a single card, it will hover from 40 to 50 FPS. I have actually been seeing similar patterns with a lot of games recently.

Back