Co. that makes wooden mechancial keyboard, is the keys + electronics in-house or is there a great OEM keyboard co.?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/usa-va104m-phoenix-backlit-mx-brown-tactile-keyboard.asp

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/filco/kobo.php?frame_id=11

so these brands, I never heard of.

Likewise, there are a few teenager at Etsy that also hand made wooden mechancial keyboard.

So for these co. and people, do they sub-contract a mechancial keyboard co. that makes the electronics and the keys, and they just make the wooden frame and put it together?

if so, who makes high quality keys and the corresponding electronics?

Also, among all the major brands of mechancial keyboard w/ back lit, in which that all seems to carry 2 yr. warranty, are they all about the same? do all these co. make the entire keyboard in-house? Or is the keycaps and the electronics make by some OEM co.? if so, is there any names of these co.?

Last edited:
Both examples get their key switches from Cherry, which is a popular mechanical switch manufacturer that most others are copying (copycats include Gateron, Kailh, Zeal, and many others). Your first link is made by Varmilo who I don't know much about, but for your second, the Filco boards from Diatec are more or less fully built by their own manufacturer (Costar), except for the switches. Filco was an early part of the modern mechanical KB craze when people started importing them to sale here.

Hate to bust your bubble, but neither of those are actually wood. They're both plastic with a wood print job. There are are real wood ones out there though, the Etsy type ones are mostly made with keyboard build kits that you can buy and then they just add a custom made wood shell. There are a handful of places that sell bare PCB's to build on or some people will have them made by mail order PCB companies or even scavenge them from other keyboards.

For last question it varies, Logitech's switches are made by industrial manufacturer Omron now and Razer has theirs made custom by Kailh and a couple others, Steelseries gets some stuff from Kailh as well. Most major manufacturers have or had variants using Cherrys and/or Gateron. Rest of the electronics and components are usually made by the companies themselves with a mix of commodity and proprietary parts. There's not really much electronics inside a basic no frills mech keyboard, usually just one chip and some diodes. The gamer type companies are obviously an exception to that with all the extra crap they add in.

Btw, there is a whole community of crazy Mech keyboard modding/building enthusiasts out there, but be warned, their rabbit hole is deep and expensive.

Varmilo is well known in the keyboard circles for quality, however that quality also comes at a huge price premium.

Haven't actually used one myself.

https://kbdfans.com/products/fully-assembled-wood-custom-keyboard
looks to actually be wood, but its not available in full size. Also, that price when fully assembled is quite high.
lol youre not kidding, 300+ for that thing that looks like a shop class project?!

op, youre not buying this hipster crap you keep posting are you?

Pendragon, I bought Azio Posh, 2 yr. ago, still haven't open it as I don't have time to finish building the scratch build Open Frame PC

But I see this viet nam guy who did a half ass job on his scratch build keyboard, so I wonder where does he get the keyboard + electronics from, which is why I post if there is some OEM manufacturer out there for the electronic structure, as don't tell me that all the keyboard co. we know build theirs in house

to cut to the chase, what's the deciding factor on a high quality PCB with back light

Last edited:
Back