CNN: Gaming Leads To Mental Health Issues

Since most whackjobs in the modern era choose to post crazy crap on their Facebook pages, can we then say that Facebook leads to mental instability?

No.

Are you aware that most published scientific research is IN FACT, wrong??

http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pmed.0020124

I would submit that scientific research that is reported by CNN has even a worse rate of accuracy.

Please feel free to go about gaming without fear of imminenet mental dyscunction

Including that "essay". :p

The source study doesn't seem that controversial, except when twisted around.

A recent study finds that children and teens who played more video games and who had lower social competence and greater impulsiveness were at higher risk of becoming “pathological gamers.”

Pathological gaming, or video game addiction, has been associated with problems in youth — including depression and poor grades.

A new study to be published in the journal Pediatrics found that there may be identifiable risk factors for becoming a problem gamer and suffering negative outcomes.

In addition to being a coping strategy for children who are already depressed or anxious, study authors suggest gaming can also increase some mental health problems.

/shrugs

Blaming whatever is convenient without rational thought or research. I think that one sentence just about explains news coverage of anything negative.

Just replace the word "gaming" with "watching cnn" and the article is fixed.

I just want the Road Runner and Coyote show back since video games is now the cause.

beep beep

I for got Tasmanian Devil also.

sadly it won't happen.

c-ya

Yeah, the first violent game that comes to my head is World of Warcraft....

Riiight. Now that's a violent game. :rolleyes:

This just in, kids who spend 30 hours a week playing Soccer instead of studying tend to do worse in school.

Also, kids who spend 30 hours a week volunteering at homeless shelters instead of studying tend to do worse in school.

And so on and so on...

It really offends me personally when these people waste my time even mentioning this bullshit anywhere, let alone investing money in it. Also, assuming they played violent games when there was no mention of that is ridiculous. Say the news and keep your opinions to yourself or get fired and find something else to do, news isn't for you.

This just in, kids who spend 30 hours a week playing Soccer instead of studying tend to do worse in school.

Also, kids who spend 30 hours a week volunteering at homeless shelters instead of studying tend to do worse in school.

And so on and so on...

It really offends me personally when these people waste my time even mentioning this bullshit anywhere, let alone investing money in it. Also, assuming they played violent games when there was no mention of that is ridiculous. Say the news and keep your opinions to yourself or get fired and find something else to do, news isn't for you.

It really offends me when most everyone always hear what they want to hear. You obviously didn't listened to what those two irritating women that you let got to you in the video said at the end. And ignored that fact that in the remote case that video games were sanctioned this website would be out of business in a few short months. Ha!!!

Since most whackjobs in the modern era choose to post crazy crap on their Facebook pages, can we then say that Facebook leads to mental instability?

No.

I would submit that scientific research that is reported by CNN has even a worse rate of accuracy.

Please feel free to go about gaming without fear of imminenet mental dyscunction

And that essay is right?
It's ALL so ridiculous.

These people need to decide on what causes people to kill people. It's either video games or guns. Come on now, pick one people. :rolleyes:

lets do it like the old days, when someone insulted you its DUEL TO THE DEATH!!! but with spoon! :D

If 30 hours of anything is not healthy, then obviously i should only have to go to work for 10 to 15 hours a week and still get paid for 40. You know for my health. Anyway iv been a gamer for 27 years, im 37 now. I work a 40 hour week job and i play world of warcraft 4 to 5 hours a day so thats 35 something hours of gaming i do a week. My mental health is clearly devastated and i also go out and kill people for fun on a regular basis.

I really hate the fact that I was born at this point in human evolution. Or at all, for that matter, as sentience is a useless curse -- but I digress.

Immediately blaming the most convenient potential cause, or first to come to mind, may have been a useful behavioral trait millennia ago, but I (errantly) like to believe that by now, as a species, we should have reached the point where we are intelligent enough to rely solely on empirical evidence, facts, research and the like.

Therefore, I would like to propose mandatory post-birth abortions for adults of a particular age who are incapable of passing a battery of psychological and intellectual tests and examinations. Further, no human being shall be allowed to reproduce, ever, with sterilizations for everyone.

Such useless creatures do not deserve to exist.

I like the way you think. :cool:

OK. It's "youtube" video and not a recorded news story and I base that other's are right in saying they always show crap when someones's not murdering enough. Find good news or print crap who cares? :(

I like the way you think. :cool:

I would say he's partially insane, probably from 29.5 hours a week of video gaming. Just as long as he rides the threshhold though, humanity will be saved.

Can we revoke CNN's license to broadcast? While we're at it, lets do some math.

24 hours a day, x 7 days a week = 168 hours a week. 168 hours a week / 30 = 5.6.

So the people that run CNN are at least 560 % more likely to be depressed, and socially ignorant.

*Flips on CNN* Holy shit, its accurate.

This is misinterpreting correlation data. There are correlations between doctors and sick people, and firefighters and fires. Its not that the doctors cause sickness and firefighters cause fires, its more that the mentally sick are attracted to video games and not that the games cause the mental problems.

you hit the nail on the head. Anyone that thinks video games CAUSE mental health problems, most likely have mental problems themselves, or are brain damaged. If anything, video games give people with such issues an outlet for their stress, problems, etc. I know that games always put me in a better mood and help me relax at the end of a busy day. There have been numerous studies that show video games can increase hand/eye coordination, intellect, reflexes, thought processing, and problem solving. Granted there are many "crazy" people that play video games, but they are not crazy because they play video games, unless its World of Warcraft, lol j/k. Just imagine what actions "disturbed" indivduals would take and how much sooner they would take them if these "disturbed" individuals did not have an outlet, like video games, to express their rage and escape from the reality that they resent so greatly. I am a gamer, I will always be a gamer, and i will never let video games be bashed my ignorant mainstream media. I really thought the world was past this "issue".... I guess they have to blame something since they cant blame a corrupt government, ineffective laws, a horrible health care system, horrendous unemployment rates, and an embarrassing education system.

"pretty much 30h of anything can be..."

Damn right, me @ work for more than 30h a week is a mental problem :D SCCM can easily drive one mad :p

30 hours in a week? I've done 30 hours in 2 days. I haven't hurt anyone, nor am I depressed. Bad grades... of course you're not going to have time for homework.

I agree if it's really excessive, but I don't know if 30 hrs. would be considered excessive enough. That's about 4 hrs/day, which is less than 17% of the day.

"Thirty hours of anything can't be good."

No wonder works sucks so much. I put in 40+ a week. :eek:

what a sad excuse for a news report. another reason i get my news else where.

and not to be sexist but 2 women talking about video game violence is as suitable as 2 guys discussing the dangers of too much shampoo.

what the fuck!

30 hours in a week? I've done 30 hours in 2 days. I haven't hurt anyone, nor am I depressed. Bad grades... of course you're not going to have time for homework.

you played 30 hours in 2 days.

i bow down to you...the one with no life!:D

Back