CNN.com doesn't go to CNN.com.. how does this work?!

heh, that url spoofing is fun to play around, all my friends caught on eventually though :X even mozilla is vunerable to an extent

Isn't it caused by just generally editing the hosts file and changing the IP addresses to what sites go to where, therefore you can send someone to any other site besides google? I know that some spyware made it's way onto my friend's computer, and it partly changed the hosts file so that google wasn't accessable.

yea i get these alot... its VERY VERY annoying.... i hate people who put those link in their profile and naming it to something else...

It can be a spoof. But it can also be your DNS server that you point to has been corrupted or taken over by a malicious hacker.

If you type in Ipconfig /all you will find out what DNS servers your ISP uses (usually two or three) Tell them immediately that you think the DNS records may have been tampered with.

Honestly though, anbody who knows how to setup a DNS server and the proper authorization can point any .com address to anyplace on the internet if you are unfortunate enough to use it as your primary DNS server.

A very scary thought.

It's not his DNS server, look at the source.

man if every idiot started complaining his DNS server got hijacked....ugh, what a nightmare. Use a different DNS server before you call anyone, don't be an idiot =(

No man, I know for sure the DNS admins want to know when their DNS server has been hijacked.

Everything else doesn't really matter, I mean noone really cares if the internet is down for a few minutes, or the email servers not working.

Having your DNS spoofed so that you think you are going to www.usbank.com or something, and then thinking you are deposting a billion dollars into the right place, but instead to the wrong place is a big freaking deal (just an example)

But yeah that is not the case this time, this is just URL misdirection hack.

Theres much much worse. Ive seen urls that dont contain any of the obvious spoof symbols, but go to a completely unrelated site that isnt even in the url. Thankfully, those only work in IE. thats a BIG security hole IMO.

i love safari. :)

Originally posted by nova_rock
opera gave me a security warning :p

ya but its not becuase opera thinks your getting pished or w/e

its becuase it thinks your trying to pass a username/password to the http server

either way opera isnt affected by any of this sillyness... which is why its still my fav browser :)

Back