CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich for TouchPad

Sweet. I am going to wait for Alpha 1 or 2 before I install though since I need my Netflix to work.

Sweet. I am going to wait for Alpha 1 or 2 before I install though since I need my Netflix to work.

The only issue for me is Titanium Backup as I would've liked to have started with a clean slate rather than upgrading CM7 to CM9. Or are there other applications that backup apps out there?

Anyways, in my brief testing of CM9, ICS runs great besides Gallery not picking up any of my pictures. Not a big deal for me since I use MultiPicture Live Wallpaper to set my wallpapers which works fine.

Yeah, let’s focus on the negative. Some (but not all) things that DO NOT WORK:

Hardware Video (OMX). As a result, Netflix does not work, YouTube works only only in non-HD videos.
Audio is a mess. The microphone does not work. Work on the current libaudio solution has halted because we will eventually switch to a CAF libaudio.
Camera does not work. The only libcamera.so that we have is from froyo and its closed source. There is a wrapper for QCOM gingerbread libcamera libraries that could likely be used as a basis to get our camera working.
Market filters prevent some apps from being installed (this can partly solved by switching back to standard DPI settings(120, 160, 240). The current build is using 160 which fixes the market but makes everything look ugly and low resolution.
Titanium Backup crashes the kernel. There’s an investigation in progress...There are reports that older versions do work.
Most of the hardware problems from CM7 still exist in this CM9 alpha build.
Gapps intended for CM7/Gingerbread will not work in CM9/ICS. If you choose to install GAPPS then you'll need to get an updated compilation
USB file transfers use MTP or PTP in Ice Cream Sandwich and Honeycomb. Traditional storage mounting is not supported in the Touchpad build.

I'll wait.

Backed up my current CM7 rom with Nandroid just to try this update since none of my current devices has ICS yet. Besides the well known issues, so far so good. Having an OS designed for tablets feels great.

Hardware acceleration and full video/audio support will make me a happy camper. Don't really care for the camera.

I guess there aren't many Android HP TouchPad users on this forum. Still, here are my findings:
1. Titanium Backup v4.0.2 works.
2. Audio should be the same as it was in CM7 3.5. This was stated by Dalingrin.
3. Market works fine using the updated gapps package. Everything looks good to me so I am not sure why they state 160 makes things look ugly.
4. No wifi problems.
5. For the first night, my TouchPad restarted itself a few times when sitting idle. This happened in CM7 too. It hasn't done it again after that first night.
6. ICS Browser+ is awesome.
7. After rebooting the TouchPad, MultiPicture Live Wallpaper does not load properly until the user runs a program.
8. As stated in Dalingrin's post, USB works in those two modes but the results are limited. I personally just use File Expert's FTP.

This is all on an install that went from CM7 Xron to CM9. I was thinking of doing a clean install but since things are working so well I will wait until alpha 1 or 2 to do that.

Waiting for fixed DPI settings and optimized video. Hopefully Alpha 1 will be the ticket.

I am loving ICS so far. Only annoying part is the wifi going in and out at times. The UI is the best part so far.

Using cm7 for now - will probably wait for a couple more updates before I go to ICS...

Alpha0.5 Release notes:

This is a minor release that bundles fixes that were previously a separate download and a few other things:

* Fix kernel crash that happened most frequently with Titanium Backup but also many other apps(fix found by verygreen)
* Touchscreen fixes by Dees_Troy(helps with rapid distinct touches being interporated as a single motion)
* Fix graphics corruption that was happening in some games
* CM9 changes from Flemmard:
o http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,11944
o http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,11897
o http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,11973
* CMStats added
* Browser: open link in incognito mode: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,11894
* Change needed for fsck replacement(was in alpha0 but wanted to make it explicit here until it is merged): http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,11875
* Other general changes that were merged since alpha0

so how's the experience on the touchpad with ICS? I haven't upgraded mine to CM9 yet, love using CM7 even if it is kinda quirky.

so how's the experience on the touchpad with ICS? I haven't upgraded mine to CM9 yet, love using CM7 even if it is kinda quirky.

I like it much more than CM7 and highly suggest giving it a try (after making a backup) unless you want to stream videos. If you don't like it you can just revert to your previous backup.

If you use the .5 alpha version then there is a touchscreen fix for it. Otherwise the touchscreen tends to register a swipe as a double tap. I think this is the fix:
http://techerrata.com/file/cm/touchpad/alpha/tenderloin-ts-fix-alpha0.5.zip

Edit:

Alpha0.6 Release notes:

Another minor release. While working on bigger problems that will take a while I wanted to push out an update for some things that have happened in the last few days. This is primarily to get Flemmard's work out for more testing. This contains the start of CyanogenMod settings. However, most of the settings are not functional on tablets yet.

With this release I will also provide two flashable zips to allow you to easily switch between lcd density 120 and 160. The default is still 160 because it offers the greatest compatibility. Any lcd density value between 160 and 120 will ruin market compatibility. For those that would like a "higher resolution" look and feel, you may flash the 120 lcd density update.zip. This will copy a new build.prop and will update the launcher for proper display. I strongly recommend changing the font size in Settings->System->Fonts if you chose to do this. The 160 lcd density update is provided to easily revert the change.

* Touchscreen fixes
* Ability to hide the combined bar(navigation buttons and clock) for full screen. This uses the ICS api so it will require app support(not all apps have been updated). This is an option under Settings->[Interface]->System->Combined Bar (Credits to Flemmard)
* Scrollable quick settings. This will require tweaking later to allow it to be bigger on the Touchpad but fixes overflow issue on 7" tablets with the new Bluetooth toggle. (Credits to Flemmard)
* Reboot to recovery is working via the power menu(hold down power button). Note: reboot will sometimes shutdown rather than rebooting.
* Preliminary support for Rom Manager. In order to use this you will need Rom Manager Premium because it is not official yet. In order to use it you will need to execute "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" in Rom Manager. Confirm the model is cm_tenderloin, say yes that you have installed manually, and check ClockworkMod 3.x. Now you can use Rom Manager to flash update.zips. Official support should come soon.
* Other general changes from syncing with latest changes

Last edited:
I installed ICS last night. OMFG this thing flies now. Smooth as iOS and looks better. I have everything I need working except the email app. It just spins and says waiting to sync from server forever. Gmail works as does the Xfinity app so I still have access to email.
As far as gaming, I can run the entire Humble Bundle, Samurai Vengeance, Trials Extreme, Blood and Glory HD, Whale Trail. I can't get Asphalt 6 running yet.
As far as video playback,I have a bunch of TV episode encoded to .mp4 with aac audio and they play great. Google Music works like a champ, too. I can even use SplashTop without issue.

So far, this is the best experience and it is only alpha.

Video works now? Even netflix?

Nope, still doesn't work. S/W decoding using MX Video Player does work though. I had to change to fast S/W decoding instead of regular S/W decoding in order to get a 720p video to play a bit smoother but its still not smooth enough.

Last edited:
I am not playing 720video. It is 480. But it plays very smooth. I haven't changed any settings.
I don't have netflix, so can't comment on that.

I just installed cm9 0.6 and it works great. Just have to update gaaps for the market.
I still have cm7 on the 32gig TP and got an ipad2 the other night so o Netflix on this one is not an issue right now.

I am selling this 16gb, don't need 3 tablets in the house.

Alpha 1 Release notes:

We finally have hardware video decode working largely thanks to some help from yjwong. This release is primarily just to get hardware decoding out for folks to enjoy while other work continues. This build does not work with Netflix yet. However, hardware accelerated video decoding does work for Youtube HD and playback of local media. This build still uses the 2.6.35 kernel. The 3.0 kernel is still being heavily worked on and is also the primary focus for development. Don't expect hardware video decoding to be perfect yet. Its half a miracle it works at all on our current kernel.

Similar to the last build I will provide flashable zips to make it easier to switch to lcd density 120 with proper launcher layout. The hardware video decoding will not make it into the nightlies for a few days. There is still some work to do in order to get it merged into repositories and ensure it doesn't break other devices.

* Hardware video decoding support. As a result, Youtube HD and 720p and 1080p local media will now be playable. Netflix does not work yet.
* Includes touchscreen improvements by Dees_Troy
* Now able to enable use of 2D companion core to offload composition

Works great so far. Youtube HD plays without a hitch. Now to encode some movies to 720 & load them up.

*edit* - Ok, 720 video plays butter smooth. I just encoded a couple of movies to 720 .mp4 & they play crystal clear & very smooth. I don't know the fps, but there is no lag at all.

Last edited:
Alpha 2 is released:
Alpha 2 Release notes:

This is for video playback fixes only, no other changes.

Fix netflix and other apps that rely on http live streaming
Fix blocky video due to bad scaling

Edit: I just tested it out and Qloud Media works! I love my $100 TP.

Last edited:
Back