CM Spawn mouse $20 AR - Xornet mose $17 AR

from all the complaints about the spawn having 2000 dpi, you might as well just buy the xornet... but then, $3 difference is trivial and i like the red color scheme lol.

Just bought mine from Microcenter it has 3500 dpi. Amazon seems to have old stock.

Right, the CM Spawn runs 3500dpi. I think the first ones that were introduced had only 2000. If they still have them, it is time for em to give them away and get the newer version. :p

from all the complaints about the spawn having 2000 dpi, you might as well just buy the xornet... but then, $3 difference is trivial and i like the red color scheme lol.

I had to do two returns to get the correct unit, though I kind of have a feeling that all the units marked "2000 dpi" actually had a 3500dpi laser but were incorrectly labeled with the "2000 DPI" inlay from the Xornet because I can not find anything about the Spawn ever being 2000 DPI. Though Amazon makes the return process extremely easy. They send me out a replacement with free one day shipping and give you 30 days to send the old one back, so you aren't stuck without a mouse while waiting for the replacement.

That being said this is a great price for an amazing mouse. If you're a claw or fingertip gripper then you should definitely consider this for the ergonomics. The pinky flare doesn't look like much but it really does improve my ability to grip the mouse in a fingertip style without my hand cramping up after extended use. With palm grip mice I'd have to scrunch my hand up which lead to a lot of cramps especially during intense gaming sessions. The laser is also pretty highly regarded out of the current selection of laser gaming mice. I really don't have a lot of gaming mouse experience, but I can say that the Spawn feel incredibly smooth compared to my Sidewinder X5 which I found made it easier for me to use higher DPIs.

Keep in mind, this is not the choice for FPS gaming, optical mice tracks even when it is removed from the surface for a distance up to 3-5mm so it really affects aim.

Keep in mind, this is not the choice for FPS gaming, optical mice tracks even when it is removed from the surface for a distance up to 3-5mm so it really affects aim.
I would not discredit this mouse for FPS gaming for such a reason unless if you were like MLG and trying to tune your movements down to the millisecond. The spawn has an advertised lift up distance of 2mm, so it really isn't very far and tbh I have never had the lift off distance be a problem when gaming since I habitually lift my hand higher than 2mm making this lift off distance argument entirely moot for my FPS gaming experience.

Though I can say this is a GREAT mouse for FPS gaming because you can entirely disable mouse acceleration. I suppose it comes down to what your bigger concern is, lifting the mouse 2mm or not having 1:1 movement. Not that I want to make your point seem entirely invalid since I'm sure some people are concerned by that, but I just want to point that everyone has their own preferences for how they use their mice. For instance I could have a mouse with a .5mm lift off distance but a ton of acceleration and that would be awesome for you but garbage for me since I wont notice the lift off distance, but the acceleration will entirely kill me.

Last edited:

Ironic.. I've actually switched to optical vs. laser due to the lift off distance on laser mice being TERRIBLE. The last I owned (G9x) was particularly bad, although I think the original G9 was also pretty awful.

If you look at mice like the Zowies, they advertise some of the lowest lift off distances available, and all of them (or at least most of them) use Optical sensors..

Has anyone ordered one off NewEgg? I like the mouse and am due for a new one, i don't usually use a shorter one(Have a Cyber Snipa one now) but i can adjust pretty quickly. Was planning on getting a Steel Series but looks like those won't be on sale for awhile.
If i get one i will probably order from New Egg just to see if my sticker says 2000dpi as well.

Love a good deal. This mouse looks solid in design. Nice optical sensor. Only bad stuff I have read about it is that the software and firmware has problems. Doesn't work right with good Chrome Browser.
Interested in this mouse and deal but at the end of the day I'll stick with my stable kill ready Deathadder. spawn does look promising in design.

Last edited:
I got the CM storm from amazon last time it was on special. It had the 3500 dpi sensor. It took a week to get used to it, and the Ratzpad mousepad was too slick for it (just my opinion) because it is lightweight. I couldn't keep a steady aim in BF3, so I just run it on my desk now and I am really liking it so far.

Back