Clueless Gamer: "Super Smash Bros."

That was basically always my take away from Smash bros. I played tons of Tekken/MK and SF. I never at any point understood the appeal of Smash. I really fail to get how it became an esport, tried watching it the other day when they were doing their big finals or something. It just seemed...stupid, and that is coming from someone who enjoys esports.

Smash Bros. is idiotic. It's basically some mini-game they spun out of Mario Party that was passed off as a legitimate fighter.

...but...but...it must be good, cuz it has Link and Samus...

That was basically always my take away from Smash bros. I played tons of Tekken/MK and SF. I never at any point understood the appeal of Smash. I really fail to get how it became an esport, tried watching it the other day when they were doing their big finals or something. It just seemed...stupid, and that is coming from someone who enjoys esports.

The tournament was downright idiotic and not representative of the competitive scene at all (except for the very last match). They had top players from all over to participate with the vanilla setup, which just makes it look like a casual party game (4 players, FFA, items, no stocks, timed). It was quite cringe-worthy and farcical compared to what competitive melee actually looks like. I have no idea why Nintendo invited competitive players to showcase the game's basic functions. I'm sure the hardcore crowd they drew in couldn't care less.

Smash Bros. is idiotic. It's basically some mini-game they spun out of Mario Party that was passed off as a legitimate fighter.

It's still leaps and bounds better than Mortal Kombat releases in the past 10 years.

Actually, that's not how it was developed at all.

It started as a project that was going to be a new IP with new characters as a 4 player fighting game, that was skinned with a couple nintendo characters and demo'd to nintendo, which got green-lit as a full game themed with nintendo characters and level designs.

Basically, it had nothing to do with mario party, and whether you like it or not is irrelevant(I'm not a huge fan of it myself), the game series has been pretty popular for years now.

Lol, wut. Have you even played it? :rolleyes:

The original game for N64 was fantastic. I played in many tournaments for that game and had a lot of fun. Games after that, though, got more and more bizarre and crazy. I mean for the most part in the original you had relatively static levels and consistent rules with proper item limitations. I tried to play the Wii one years later and it was like...jumping out a window upside-down trying to catch a bouncing superball in your mouth or something (best analogy I could come up with off the cuff). I'm sure that appeals to a certain metric but certainly not actual fighting game fans...

Not a big Nintendo fan, but sorry you combine four of your peeps, snacks, a bucket of beers, and smash bros, you're gunna have a good time.

I'm surprised they got their hands on the early alpha version of this game with the release so close. At least I hope that was an early alpha of the game...

Said it before and I'll say it again. Super smash bros = random mash buttons

Said it before and I'll say it again. Super smash bros = random mash buttons
I thought so at first too, but after a while you can get the hang of it. Playing against the AI is never fun IME, but always is with friends.

I have a couple friends who play competitive smash. It is definitely an awesome time watching top tier players duke it out. The combos are counters are done so fast it looks random to unskilled people like teh_chem and i.

I have a couple friends who play competitive smash. It is definitely an awesome time watching top tier players duke it out. The combos are counters are done so fast it looks random to unskilled people like teh_chem and i.

What combos? All I see are 3 moves used over and over until someone fucks up. I can watch something like tekken, even if I never played it and see dozens of moves. Dont get me wrong, if you enjoy playing it, that's cool. I just don't see the appeal as an esport as it is just ungodly boring to watch compared to basically everything else.

I'm a competitive fighter that plays Capcom and Namco fighters, everything from MvC 2/3 to SF to TTT2 and I never understood the appeal of this game. I did see the tournament they hosted and it looked pretty tense in the semi's and finals round with everyone going for that power-up ball. But then again, this is Nintendo and I think its great that they're appealing to the casual crowd with a fighter that isn't too complex to learn. I never got into the game but these day's I don't have much time to learn a new fighter, but this one doesn't look too time consuming to learn. Since it's coming out for the 3ds first and I'm always on the go these days, it should be easier to access and learn the game. It's going to be a fun time online and lan. Looking forward to some craziness.

I don't get the smash bros hatred. The game takes a bit of strategy and definitely takes skill. I think the combat system in the game is much more consolidated. There are no 'special moves', every character has the same controls. Every character has the same number of moves and the buttons that activate them. Personally I prefer that over the systems that have mountains of 'secret' moves that leaves you trying to memorise "left left down A B" or some shit... Plus with the idea that it's not about brining someone's life down, but instead, knocking them off the stage. You can't just use powerful moves all the time.

This is why the Wii U will be the winner of the console wars. Xbox One and PS4 both don't have titles that the PC already has. The few titles the PC doesn't have aren't worth mentioning. The Wii U though seems to have unique titles you'll never see on any other platform. After this E3 I might even consider buying a Wii U.

conan is becoming the goto guy for game reviews. I bet he gets tons of calls from devs asking him to review their shit.

I'm a competitive fighter that plays Capcom and Namco fighters, everything from MvC 2/3 to SF to TTT2 and I never understood the appeal of this game. I did see the tournament they hosted and it looked pretty tense in the semi's and finals round with everyone going for that power-up ball. But then again, this is Nintendo and I think its great that they're appealing to the casual crowd with a fighter that isn't too complex to learn. I never got into the game but these day's I don't have much time to learn a new fighter, but this one doesn't look too time consuming to learn. Since it's coming out for the 3ds first and I'm always on the go these days, it should be easier to access and learn the game. It's going to be a fun time online and lan. Looking forward to some craziness.

As someone who was pretty competitive in SF series one time. Smash Bros on Gamecube was pretty competitive. I was doubtful at first but seeing it firsthand I was impressed. Wii version was dumbed down a lot and gets a lot of hate from the more competitive fans. Fans are hoping they fix that for the Wii U.

Was something important in that video? I just can't stomach watching that idiot conan trying to act funny. It's not even funny that he tries to act funny, he fails miserably.

I don't get the smash bros hatred. The game takes a bit of strategy and definitely takes skill. I think the combat system in the game is much more consolidated. There are no 'special moves', every character has the same controls. Every character has the same number of moves and the buttons that activate them. Personally I prefer that over the systems that have mountains of 'secret' moves that leaves you trying to memorise "left left down A B" or some shit... Plus with the idea that it's not about brining someone's life down, but instead, knocking them off the stage. You can't just use powerful moves all the time.

At least with me I wouldn't call it hatred so much as I just don't get the "Why" of it. Your post really sums it up quite nicely the why that I as someone who doesn't play it couldn't quite put my finger on. You mention strategy and skill, now I will give you strategy. However mentioning skill and that the moves are consolidated and that every character is basically the same is something that bothers me. You see as someone who grew up playing the far more complex fighters, Smash just doesn't seem like it takes all that much skill. There is no memorization, top end play comes down to the same handful of moves and really it is just an extremely distilled fighter. Now that may or may not be a bad thing depending on who you talk to, obviously those that grew up on that prefer that. Ultimately it is probably akin to comparing top end console shooter gamers against top end PC shooter gamers. It really is like comparing apples to oranges as it is an entirely different skill set.

Anyhow, not here to bag on smash. I made the statement of I don't get why and interestingly enough your post is the first one that put it into perspective why.

At least with me I wouldn't call it hatred so much as I just don't get the "Why" of it. Your post really sums it up quite nicely the why that I as someone who doesn't play it couldn't quite put my finger on. You mention strategy and skill, now I will give you strategy. However mentioning skill and that the moves are consolidated and that every character is basically the same is something that bothers me. You see as someone who grew up playing the far more complex fighters, Smash just doesn't seem like it takes all that much skill. There is no memorization, top end play comes down to the same handful of moves and really it is just an extremely distilled fighter. Now that may or may not be a bad thing depending on who you talk to, obviously those that grew up on that prefer that. Ultimately it is probably akin to comparing top end console shooter gamers against top end PC shooter gamers. It really is like comparing apples to oranges as it is an entirely different skill set.

Anyhow, not here to bag on smash. I made the statement of I don't get why and interestingly enough your post is the first one that put it into perspective why.

Here is the thing, Smash originally started out as a family fun brawler game, but eventually the players evolved to become more than that. Then Melee happened and it completely changed everything people knew about Smash. The players began to learn hidden features such as wavedashing (essentially dodging into the ground to slide your character with no frame delay) and L-Cancelling (another trick involving shielding immediately upon hitting the ground to reset frames). Eventually the 2 attack buttons evolved into figuring out how to combo them and it wasn't easy. Air moves were being performed on the ground by short hopping to pull off crazy juggling combos. This caused the pace of the game to be sped up considerably. Eventually Smash became about speed and strategy. How to get close to the enemy without getting grabbed, how to get hits while avoiding being hit. It's all about movement, positioning and speed. The thing that made Smash great with casuals was that it didn't require memorizing 100 different combos and layouts, it became about reading the enemies movements, thinking "Where will he end up if I jump here or hit him there?" and trying to avoid getting knocked off the map while staying composed because your pecentage is high. Then Brawl was released and it tried desperately to put Smash back into the casual light which competitive players who grew up on Melee hated. Smash U is supposed to bring it back to its former glory.

This match the other day was a great example of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8WJByDJg9k

And here's a good example of Strategy vs Speed between two of the worlds best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxL6px8hnyE

Was something important in that video? I just can't stomach watching that idiot conan trying to act funny. It's not even funny that he tries to act funny, he fails miserably.

Well , he must be doing something right, he's had the show for 20 years.

I for one love these segments & am glad that the show still retains a bit of its dark humor all these years later. I do wish he would write for the Simpsons again, that show sorely needs it.

This is why the Wii U will be the winner of the console wars.

Even this game won't save the Wii U.
My kids still play the Wii sometimes (Super Smash Bros probably gets the most play), but they have moved mostly to games on the 3ds and on thier phones. Even the 3ds doesn't get as much use as the older DS lite's did. The only 3ds game we got last year was the new pokemon one.

Not a big Nintendo fan, but sorry you combine four of your peeps, snacks, a bucket of beers, and smash bros, you're gunna have a good time.

agreed. Some friends and I always had a ton of fun with Fuzion Frenzy on xbox, 4 player mayhem, instant alliances or begging not be teamed up on. Good times.

Yeah, although I would say in a way there are "special" moves, or rather moves that are specific to that character (B moves, mainly). There are also some variations on grabs and other things depending on who you are.

I think Smash Bros. is a lot of fun. We used to play Melee on a projector in college all the time...we even had a casual tournament in the dorms. I used to be fairly decent but never really on the level of competitive players. It's not so much a game about learning combos and moves as it is extremely precise timing and wave dashes and whatnot. I like it because it's not like most other fighting games where you are learning long button combos, but there is certainly still a ton of skill involved in high-level play.

What makes me chuckle in threads like this is the seriousness by which some people are ascribing characterizations to a video game based on cartoon characters. Guys, have fun when you play, that's what video games are for. Enjoy.

I'm pretty sure friendships have been destroyed over arguments started over the interpretation of Moby Dick. It happens in all mediums.

Back