CLR CMOS button - reliable?

Ree

n00b
My board (ASUS Rampage Formula, X48) has a CLR CMOS button on the back panel. Pressing it is supposed to clear CMOS. I was wondering if it REALLY is reliable and REALLY clears ALL CMOS settings as well as RTC clock. Or should I just use the age-old method of removing the battery for some time just to be sure? Which method is the more reliable one? And overall, in your opinion, what is the most reliable way to clear CMOS?

It should behave the same way as a CLR CMOS jumper and close a circuit... read the manual for instructions.

Okay, this is an easy one, does the computer POST after a bad overclock when you press the button? if so, it works.

The button on my DFI P55 board works fine, other than needing a mechanical pencil or other fine pointed object to press it.

I have the same board and yes, it does clear the CMOS when you press it.

While we're on the subject hooking up your own momentary push button is simple and a whole lot easier than opening up the case to short the pins.

While we're on the subject hooking up your own momentary push button is simple and a whole lot easier than opening up the case to short the pins.

While that's true, this board already has a button on the back I/O panel , so no need to open the case.

Back