Close ticket if no response?

shroomiin

Gawd
Hey-

Some of my users open tickets and never reply back.
I simply close them down after 2-3 attempts to contact.

Is this acceptable?

"standard practice" (and i use that term lightly, i'm not trying to imply this is industry standard written in stone) is to attempt to make contact 3 times via any means. log in the ticket when contact was attempted. if no return contact after 2 days, close it out with no resolution/no return contact from user.

In our ticket system we have a status type called waiting for response. Once that is active on a ticket, time stops recording for how long the ticket is open, and it emails the user ever 4 hours saying hey we need you to update the ticket. They tend to get back to us as they hate getting spammed by emails.

our ticket system has two status open and on hold

when we reply it automatically puts the ticket on hold, if/when customer replies it sets it back to open

Hmm there is good ideas here.

I usually do close ticket after couple days even if they were solved just in case.

In our ticket system we have a status type called waiting for response. Once that is active on a ticket, time stops recording for how long the ticket is open, and it emails the user ever 4 hours saying hey we need you to update the ticket. They tend to get back to us as they hate getting spammed by emails.

CA servicecenter?

Where I work at we typically make two or three contacts to customers and then close the ticket. They also get an update each time with "Contact attempt made, attempting again XX/XX/2013 RC" then eventually we just close the ticket with No resolution/couldn't contact customer.

Once the ticket is closed it will usually get opened right back up a few hours later.

I setup my WHMCS ticketing system to close ticket without any customer response after 72 hours. Seems to be acceptable to my clients. The ticket can always be re-opened if the issue wasn't resolved.

We make three attempts and then escalate to their manager, if it's appropriete.

Otherwise, make a note in the ticket on when and where and who contact was made attempted with and close the ticket.

I make about 3 attempts, then leave open for a week. No response, close ticket.

At my old jobs I had retarded coworkers though. For example, if they received a ticket where the users network connection was down, they would send EMAILS asking for more info....instead of calling....how the fark are you gonna get a response via email if they're network connection isn't working...F'ing idiots

man i wish ours did this

We had that option too (Remedy) and it was used quite often because I'd say 90% of the time the delay was on the user side. People put in tickets for stuff they want fixed NOW but they don't want us to fix it while they are there,but it requires that it be done with them logged in, and with them in front in case we have to reboot. People don't realize computer issues can be complicated and it's not just the push of a button. We have to google and test stuff. With proprietary software it makes it worse as even Google can't help much.

Eventually we'd close off these tickets and do a massive cleanup. We'd usually get some flack for it, but it was the only way to stay sane otherwise the queue was just growing at an insane rate. My goal was to try to get to single digits, that was always nice. Did not stay that way long though.

"standard practice" (and i use that term lightly, i'm not trying to imply this is industry standard written in stone) is to attempt to make contact 3 times via any means. log in the ticket when contact was attempted. if no return contact after 2 days, close it out with no resolution/no return contact from user.

We had a similar policy, we made at least 3 attempts at contact, one via email, one via phone and a flyby of their desk (if they were internal) over 5 business days. If we got no response, we closed the ticket with a blurb going back stating why the ticket was closed (due to a lack of response). This was a policy that we got ratified through not only IT management, but the business units as well. Really helped to keep the BS tickets at a minimum.

This is my SOP, except if the user is an executive. I follow that up with a phone call/voicemail.

This is my SOP, except if the user is an executive. I follow that up with a phone call/voicemail.

That and work with their assistants. The exec assistants can really help when you're trying to get something done for an exec. Or just trying to understand what it is they want... ;)

Back