Cloning windows 10 from 2.5ssd to m.2 SSD

antok86

[H]F Junkie
if i have windows 10 installed on a 2.5 ssd and later clone it to a m.2 ssd will it give me problems and see his as a major hardware change and cause issues with the registration/cd key

Gotta love windows. Not only you need to deal with the real problem of changing partition sizes, you have to deal with MS bullshit on top. Well, if you're a paying customer.

if i have windows 10 installed on a 2.5 ssd and later clone it to a m.2 ssd will it give me problems and see his as a major hardware change and cause issues with the registration/cd key
The only forseeable problem is you may need to run a startup repair if you are installed as GPT disk. Make sure you have a Win 10 installation media handy in case you need to use advanced startup to do the repair.

Gotta love windows. Not only you need to deal with the real problem of changing partition sizes, you have to deal with MS bullshit on top. Well, if you're a paying customer.
This rant really just a waste of space. If you're not going to post something relevant to the thread you should probably refrain from posting.

the fuck you talkin about?
Any modern imaging/cloning software handles differences in partition sizes without issue.
I migrated from a mech 3.5 to an SSD with the freebie Acronis. I had no issues. Granted that was Win7, but I don't see Win10 being any different.

I have done cloning with paritions and had no problems but like you said that was with windows 7. I know win10 is a little different with hardware changes and i havent done a clone before. So seeing if i should wait till i get my hands on a m.2

Well, you could always try. If the copy on the M.2 decides to require activation, plop the 2.5" SSD back in.

I do this every week, you'll be fine, activation won't be necessary.

Clonezilla is a great tool for the job.

It really depends on whether the M.2 drive is Sata based or PCIe based. I would imagine a Sata based one will work fine but drivers will be needed for the PCIe based one.

I went from 850 evo (sata) to 950 pro (NvMe) using Samsung magician just fine.

so i just updated my pc.....just upgraded my mobo and cpu to skylake...and plugged in the hard drive from my windows 10 ivybridge build and for some reason it booted right up with my new hardware ...no bsod yet. i remember back with xp and i think win7 if you changed a mobo with a different chipset and maybe socket type it would bsod right away...am i missing something here

XP maybe, but I went from an AMD 8350 to an Intel 5930K (MB RAM) system, then an SSD to NVme drive (used Samsung data magican to clone it) with no bluescreen.

Back