Cloning onto a new PC

rage4order

Gawd
I recently built myself a new pc. I would like to clone the ssd drive os from my old pc onto my new rig, which is a Nvme pcie drive. Is this possible and would it run in my new rig?

I recently built myself a new pc. I would like to clone the ssd drive os from my old pc onto my new rig, which is a Nvme pcie drive. Is this possible and would it run in my new rig?
make sure both systems are set to the same bios mode, legacy vs uefi. then grab a copy of aomei backupper and clone the old to new with no other drive connected on the new system. remove the old drive and set the nvme as primary boot and it should fire up. windows should give the "setting up hardware screen", reboot a couple time and them boot fully. remove the old drivers and install new.

make sure both systems are set to the same bios mode, legacy vs uefi. then grab a copy of aomei backupper and clone the old to new with no other drive connected on the new system. remove the old drive and set the nvme as primary boot and it should fire up. windows should give the "setting up hardware screen", reboot a couple time and them boot fully. remove the old drivers and install new.
Thanks! For some reason I thought the cloned os wouldn't run because of the new cpu and hardware.

Thanks! For some reason I thought the cloned os wouldn't run because of the new cpu and hardware.
np. im assuming 10 or 11, they both take hardware changes no prob, most of the time.
edited speeling; "changes" not "changed"

Last edited:
Clonezilla is good provided both drives are of identical capacity, if there's any variance you'll have to resize partitions afterwards. This is one of the reasons I always sell my clients Samsung SSD's, their data migration software is awesome. Provided your data will actually fit on the replacement drive, you can go from a large capacity drive to a small capacity drive, or vice versa, and Samsung's software takes care of all the partition resizing.

Clonezilla is good provided both drives are of identical capacity, if there's any variance you'll have to resize partitions afterwards. This is one of the reasons I always sell my clients Samsung SSD's, their data migration software is awesome. Provided your data will actually fit on the replacement drive, you can go from a large capacity drive to a small capacity drive, or vice versa, and Samsung's software takes care of all the partition resizing.
Not a tough thing really with Gparted to help afterwards (or before).
There is also Macrium Reflect which is free.
I use this for backups & it works great with the disk cloning

Will it work? Probably. However, if you are building a new system, this is your chance to set it up properly form the beginning, with no remnants of old drivers or applications from the old system. For best performance and stability, I'd just do a clean install and migrate your data. A clean install is a very simple process if you plan ahead and have downloaded the drivers you need.

Friends don’t let friends clone. Your asking for problems. Operating Systems are disposable. Do a clean install, install your apps and drivers, copy your data and enjoy.

We refuse to clone at work, too many issues.

On my gaming rig in the newish system I had a Samsung 1 tb ssd. Finally bit the bullet and went with a same sized nvme drive from WD. So the operating system was run on the new system already. I used Acronis disk back up for WD. Free download and use as long as you have a WD drive. There are versions for other drive manufactures. Worked great and was pretty fast.

On my gaming rig in the newish system I had a Samsung 1 tb ssd. Finally bit the bullet and went with a same sized nvme drive from WD. So the operating system was run on the new system already. I used Acronis disk back up for WD. Free download and use as long as you have a WD drive. There are versions for other drive manufactures. Worked great and was pretty fast.
Yea SSD to SSD on the same hardware is fine. but one computer to another computer, less so.

Friends don’t let friends clone. Your asking for problems. Operating Systems are disposable. Do a clean install, install your apps and drivers, copy your data and enjoy.

We refuse to clone at work, too many issues.
Windows is not disposable because of the horrible registry. Programs stop working.

Windows is not disposable because of the horrible registry. Programs stop working.
Say what now? I think we mean different things by disposable

I mean, just clean install and start fresh, as much as needed. no biggie

Say what now? I think we mean different things by disposable

I mean, just clean install and start fresh, as much as needed. no biggie
Uh, I have a different view. For me, doing a fresh install WAS a biggie.:eek:

When my wife upgraded to a new laptop from her desktop, I was faced with hours and hours of new installs, configs, etc. And I always config all the systems in my house with a separate D drive for most data, and E for media (music, photos, books, etc.) So the D and E drives were simply copied from the old system to the new system, no issues there.

For the C drive, with Windows and Programs, I used Laplink PC Mover. You buy it for each move process. It wasn't perfect. It refused to copy over Norton security and I had to reinstall Office. But everything else just moved over, no issues. About $60, and well worth it.

Idk, I guess I do it too often. Windows reinstall is 30mins, drivers around 10mins tops. Apps, 10-20mins? I load a base set and then just install as needed. Less is more here.

I suppose if one has a bunch of adobe crap, or VIsual Studio to load up it can take a while. Still I think we get way to worked up about saving configurations and getting everything just right. I also never want trash from the old OS messing with the new OS.

$60 to move apps and stuff, ouch. But I guess that’s what a pc tech person would charge you at best.

Idk, I guess I do it too often. Windows reinstall is 30mins, drivers around 10mins tops. Apps, 10-20mins? I load a base set and then just install as needed. Less is more here.

I suppose if one has a bunch of adobe crap, or VIsual Studio to load up it can take a while. Still I think we get way to worked up about saving configurations and getting everything just right. I also never want trash from the old OS messing with the new OS.

$60 to move apps and stuff, ouch. But I guess that’s what a pc tech person would charge you at best.
A lot of people have apps accumulated on their PC that they no longer have installation media / pass keys available for. And typically all those break if you just copy them on another machine.

OK, so about a year ago, my Win 10 Pro install went south, and I was unable to restore (TL; DR). So the actual Windows install went pretty fast, off of a USB drive. Yeah, I am a PC enthusiast. But I also use my PC very heavily, and not just for work, and I use a lot of programs to get everything done.

I am one of those people that has a lot of "Adobe crap," which includes some hassles because Adobe has a two-system install limit, and you have to get right with Adobe about the fact that you lost an install when Windows crashed. Plus MS Office "crap," plus a bunch of other programs. And I DO have all the install media (mostly on my Drive F) and I do have all my install keys, which I all record in a spreadsheet. But all those installs take time with reboots, program auto-updates, some driver update IIRC, plus configuration.

Two freakin days of my life I will never get back. $60 bucks for Laplink is a bargain.

Last edited:
Back