Cloning M.2 NVME OS drive to a larger M.2 NVME with one m.2 slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
So the time has come to increase my OS drive size. My board does have dual m.2 slots but being MATX the second on is on the back and not in the heatsink installation window unfortunately. Which in turn means I would be undoing a metric $@$@ ton of stuff to install the drive then reversing the undo and again redoing the undo to pull the drive once cloned then putting it all back together yet again.

So I would like to avoid that mess if possible and just use the accessible slot that is on the front of my board. Problem is obviously it's populated currently with my 950 Pro 256GB OS drive which is going to get replaced with an EX920 1TB.

How are those in my pickle handling the situation? I was looking at m.2 nvme usb adapters but $30 for some overseas who knows if it will melt your computer down up to $60. for about 10-20 minutes of use. NAH not for me. There has to be other options available like cloning the OS to one of my many 8TB plex drives then moving it back over to the 1tb or something.

It was simple when I got the m.2 originally. Plop in Sammy's migrate software suck the OS off a normal SSD and plop it on the M.2 good to go. Hell if I had an old school ssd laying around I would migrate to the ssd then migrate back over to the new m.2.

I've seen mention on m.2 deal posts around that some drives don't like cloning to larger drives because of their controllers but I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear with the route I went.

Again current m.2 nvme is 950 pro 256gb and I'm upgrading to the HP EX920 1TB.

Use a Linux live cd and use dd to image the drive block by block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back