Newbie here for cloning disk drives.

I currently bought a new Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD to replace my manufactured (C) SSD 250 GB in my 2017 Dell Laptop with Windows 10.

At first I assumed this process will be simple, but after dealing with it for multiple days I seem to not to get it working.

I first tried using the Samsung Data Migration to clone my C drive to my new 1TB. Note: I did not do anything to the 1TB drive before starting the process, simply took it out of the box and plugged it in with Unitek usb connection.
Within the first 30 seconds of running it i got an error Failled 00001 (fffffff). So I tried it again and this time the program just stopped and forced closed.

So I started searching the web for all the different possible reasons.

I ended up downloading EaseUS Tools Backup Free and giving it a try.

I started the Clone process (checked the optimize SSD and Sector by Sector box) and everything went well and I assumed everything was done. So I replaced the (C) with the new 1TB and turned it on. But it wouldn't want to boot up.

So next, I put back the (C) and left my 1TB plugged in as a USB and tried to boot it through USB. Well my laptop booted up and I was able to login but when I went to "This PC" i noticed that the little windows icon was still on my (C) and not on my 1TB drive and my 1TB was Bitlocker encrypted locked and not unlocked like my (C). Once I unlocked it I was able to view all the files. So I tried to boot it up again to see if unlocking did it and still nothing.

I have also tried AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard and still couldn't get it to work.

So after doing all this I tried another approach by going to Disk Management and initialize the disk and formatting the unallocated space into a partition and reran some of these process and still could't get any of them to work.

I am open for any advice since I can not figure out why a simple process that works for many other people just won't work with me.

I have attached a screenshot of my Disk Management view. I am not sure if my (C) having 3 partitions have to deal with the issue.

Attachments

• thumbnail.png
    thumbnail.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I'd second trying macrium and I'd wipe the new 1tb drive clean of all data before doing anything with it again.

Macrium should be able to expand the C partition if you want or you can make a new partition seperate from the OS one (C) for data/programs etc..

If I was to use this tool would the new larger drive have full capacity or would it mirror it as the same size as the older smaller drive?

Not sure if Macrium has it built in or not (I've since uninstalled). Mine was the opposite, I had to shrink the "C" partition to fit on the smaller SSD (which Macrium did). I'd assume it does have the ability, but if it doesn't you can use another tool to expand the partition to make full use of your drive after the clone.

Several months ago I migrated a 1tb spinning drive to a 500GB Evo 850 using the included Samsung Magician software. But first I shrank the partition of the source drive to 500GB.
I was pretty amazed by how well Magician worked, after reading that a clean install was usually needed. Great to save hours of tedious work.

1) It seems from your original post that your 250G drive might be bitlocker encrypted. Remove the encryption first. The binary key your UEFI remembers for Bitlocker can't be used by the UEFI to unlock the new drive automatically on start, hence this being a PITA. Remember: Bitlocker is supposed to protect you from these kinds of shenanigans. :)

2) Use Macrium Reflect to clone your drive over (making your actual partition the last one - Windows makes multiple partitions for itself besides your main partition, and annoyingly often, creates one behind your usable partition). When cloning, you can drag the partitions over 1 at a time to change the order.

3) Macrium may or may not expand the partition out for you. If it does not, use Disk Management to expand the partition.

4) Re-encrypt using Bitlocker.

5) TRIM the SSD

All done

OP was a hit and run...

I realized after I started the reply that this was an older post, but it seemed prudent to respond to it anyway. I personally hate hunting for an answer to a question and finding someone else's thread asking the same question I also have only to find the thread incomplete - or worse, OP only replies to say the issue was resolved and never says HOW.

Back