Clone RAID Partitions onto One Drive

fellows

Limp Gawd
Hey [H]

So I'm going to reformat my PC and install win7 onto a x25 g2. (Haven't decided on whether I should raid0 or not) Anyway my scenario is this.

Right now I've got [2] WD 640's in Raid 0. This array has 3 partitions.
{D} - [400GB Parition - 239GB Used]
{E} - [500GB Partiion - 495GB Used]
{F} - [189GB Partition - 124GB Used]

So all together these 3 partitions are over 1 TB. However, In terms of used space they are 858GB collectively. What I would like todo is move all of them on a 1TB WD Black (930GB usable space)

I've already tried multiple software programs, most live-CD based yet none of them seem to allow copying a partition from a raid array to a partition on a regular drive. Ideally I'm looking for a freeware based solution. Managed to get Norton Ghost 15 from work but not really having luck with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS - What should I do with the X25's Raid0 or just 1 drive OS, 1 drive Games.

Thanks,
-Fellows

if you have not reformatted yet, why not just boot up into windows and just copy the files over from each partition manually since you can see them in windows? CTRL-A, copy, paste, done. For the boot partition you wouldn't be copying that anyways since you are reformatting and reinstalling the OS.

Depending on your hardware/drivers, not all live-CDs are going to pickup the RAID volume. Acronis TrueImage 2010 boot CD did see my RAID 5 volume on an Intel ICH9R controller if I remember though.

Moving from 1 raid controller to another you are usually hosed in terms of saving data or anything for a drive.

Just make 3 folders on your new drive and put all the data from each partition in each one of the folders.

if you have not reformatted yet, why not just boot up into windows and just copy the files over from each partition manually since you can see them in windows? CTRL-A, copy, paste, done. For the boot partition you wouldn't be copying that anyways since you are reformatting and reinstalling the OS.

Depending on your hardware/drivers, not all live-CDs are going to pickup the RAID volume. Acronis TrueImage 2010 boot CD did see my RAID 5 volume on an Intel ICH9R controller if I remember though.

Yeah I guess I could do that, along the exact same lines as drozenski's thoughts. My only concern, I guess, is copying that much data with the simple Copy Paste method might not be that secure. Is there truth to this? would Robocopy be a better choice? I assumed Windows Copying would introduce more errors than Imaging a drive since they offer sector checks etc. etc.

I think Windows copy is pretty reliable :) 800GB relatively speaking isn't really that much data either. Standard home RAID servers often have at least a few terabytes nowadays considering how cheap storage space is. I can't remember the last time I ever copied anything that went through fine and turn up with 2 different copies of a file. If you're not concerned about running all your data on RAID 0, I wouldn't be that concerned about a simple copy spontaneously exploding either.

I think Windows copy is pretty reliable :) 800GB relatively speaking isn't really that much data either. Standard home RAID servers often have at least a few terabytes nowadays considering how cheap storage space is. I can't remember the last time I ever copied anything that went through fine and turn up with 2 different copies of a file. If you're not concerned about running all your data on RAID 0, I wouldn't be that concerned about a simple copy spontaneously exploding either.

I was talking about file corruption. or failed copies for whatever reason... Usually access being denied because the file is somehow in use by the computer. I'll have a look at TeraCopy and see how that goes

Back