Clip-On Handgun Attachment Makes Bullets Less-Lethal

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I’m going to guess that getting shot by this still hurts like hell, though.

Based in part on feedback from law enforcement and special forces, the Alternative consists of a plastic carrier that normally sits in a belt pouch. It's designed to fit over the muzzle of a semiautomatic pistol, with installation a one-handed operation that doesn't require the officer to look away from the situation. The carrier is designed not to interfere with the pistol's sights or under-barrel rail, which may carry a torch or laser sight.

First time it fails either as a misfire or bullet penetrates and kills, you won't see this anymore lol. I like the concept but I am not comfortable with a lethal round still leaving the barrel. There is so much that can go wrong.

And as someone said about comas, yes lots of damage can come from this type of ammo. Kind of like if i throw a brick at you, less likely to kill you so that could be 'less than lethal' as well, but its gonna hurt and do damage.

First time it fails either as a misfire or bullet penetrates and kills, you won't see this anymore lol. I like the concept but I am not comfortable with a lethal round still leaving the barrel. There is so much that can go wrong.

And as someone said about comas, yes lots of damage can come from this type of ammo. Kind of like if i throw a brick at you, less likely to kill you so that could be 'less than lethal' as well, but its gonna hurt and do damage.

It's not a less-than-lethal or non-lethal round. It's a "LESS LETHAL" round. You could still die from this thing hitting you.

Don't see it being practical in real life situations over a taser.

Imagine an Officer fumbling for a plastic carrier while a perp advances.

It's not a less-than-lethal or non-lethal round. It's a "LESS LETHAL" round. You could still die from this thing hitting you.
Lol. Less lethal.

The whole point of a bullet is for it to be lethal. Trying to make a conventional bullet less lethal is an exercise in futility due to all the simpler options available. They need to switch to a different type of round (rubber or beanbag ammo) or switch to a different weapon altogether if they want non-lethal.

Also, in before some idiot troll decides to turn this a political discussion for no good reason.

If you needed a non-lethal option you shouldn't have pulled your firearm in the first place. This is the type of crap our ignorant law makers get their delusions from in the first place.

If you needed a non-lethal option you shouldn't have pulled your firearm in the first place. This is the type of crap our ignorant law makers get their delusions from in the first place.

This. Firearms are instruments of last resort. You should only fire a gun when failure to do so would result in severe injury or death. This is why gun control that is designed to reduce the utility of firearms is so offensive to me. You're basically saying that you should respect the life of the aggressor more than the victim by hindering the victim's ability to defend himself or herself as effectively as possible.

Sorry, but this is lethal. It may not be penetrative, but it will cause legality. More like less lethal, not non-lethal.

You go ahead and take the time to switch to this thing when a guy with a knife is coming at you. We'll say nice things about you at your funeral.

the guy with knife would have stabbed you by time you saw the threat and put that on your gun and fired...all while saying less lethal, less lethal...we like to think we can "multi task" but the brain can on only do one thing at a time...it's a nice concept that would prob work in a riot situation but not on the street in real life...

This is a great academic or theoretical idea.

In practice, it's F'ing stupid. Trained two rounds center mas forever. Assuming everything goes correctly (it won't), that first round may be "less-lethal", but the follow on round won't be. When you are in a shooting situation, you react how you were trained. You lose fine motor control as the adrenaline gets dumped into your bloodstream; breathing quickens up, aim is affected as is spatial awareness (tunnel vision).

In a criminal's mind the words "less lethal" = "I standing a better chance of getting away, so why the hell not just go for it?". :rolleyes:

Sounds great in theory, but having seen a few knife injury victims the last thing I'd want is something *less lethal.* Any idiot can kill you with a knife. Besides, how long until someone under stress forgets to attach the thing?

Don't see it being practical in real life situations over a taser.

Imagine an Officer fumbling for a plastic carrier while a perp advances.

depends what the range is. If they can still get accuracy at say 20-30 feet, it might be effective for the knife wielding bad guys who decide to advance on the officers. They get the 1 less lethal shot, if he keeps coming, then he gets real lead.

And I'm sure shit stains like California will try and make this mandatory for all firearms.

depends what the range is. If they can still get accuracy at say 20-30 feet, it might be effective for the knife wielding bad guys who decide to advance on the officers. They get the 1 less lethal shot, if he keeps coming, then he gets real lead.

Yeah, that's not how real life works.

This will fail. Truth be told....if I am aiming a gun at someone, I am aiming to put them down. Permanently.

So they did a computer simulation but decided they were going to go with a shooting range mock up anyways?

It's an option that in some circumstances might well work as intended.

Have it on the belt ready. If it manges to reduce a few deaths then it may save a lot of time, anger and money down the line.

Have it on the belt ready. If it manges to reduce a few deaths then it may save a lot of time, anger and money down the line.

This is gonna fail and instead flood the system with lawsuits every time an officer forgets to use it but the family of the poor and innocent victim wonders why didn´t the officer use it instead of just lead? All the lawsuits will be filled with physics simulation trying to prove how the officer had enough time to put it on but didn't because he wanted to kill the subject or some other crap.

Poor example of when to use. A knife attacker can cover a lot of ground in a very short time and cause a lot of damage if not kill you. Lethal force is needed in that situation if you value your life.

You go ahead and take the time to switch to this thing when a guy with a knife is coming at you. We'll say nice things about you at your funeral.

Pretty much. I can just see an officer reach for this thing and fumble it. Operating the firearm itself under an adrenaline dump can be hard enough let alone going for some attachment to it. If someone is trying to kill or cause serious injury to you, you want to stop the threat by the most effective means possible because the human body can frequently withstand a lot of damage.

less lethal can still kill...any weapon, lethal or not can fail or not work on everyone...from mace/cs/pepper spray to this thing...I tased a guy 10 times...he was on wet and he fought through the tase the whole time...all I could do was walk backwards and keep pulling the trigger until back up arrived...then it took 6 of us to cuff him...a lot of this stuff sounds good on paper...looks good to the left...I don't see them using it...it's funny reading the forums on the diff sites that have posted this article...

i can only see this being useful with a suspect with an edged weapon and having two cops engaging him. one with the less lethal and one not but in cases like that id rather have a bean bag shotgun as this thing is one shot and youre done. also cops are trained to double tap then assess the threat so basically the suspect will get a ball to the chest followed by a .45 hydra shok. lame.

If it's a serious concern and only good for 1 shot, would it just make more sense to make the first round in the clip a *less lethal* varierty. Seems much simpler

Or you could use existing technology. Tasers have been around for a long time and work well. I bet you that a police officer trained with both (taser and this new contraption) would be able to depoly the taser much quicker, saving both officer and perpetrators lives over this new handgun attachment.

Taser - unholster, point ,and shoot
Attachment - unholster gun, unholster attachment, attach device, point, shoot.

Extra steps = extra time.

This attachment idea is fail all the way around.

if real life was like the movies where 1 shot always kills someone, yes...but real life doesn't work like that...if you can fight through a taser, you wouldn't feel that ball or bullets...you would have to make a CNS hit or, or get lucking hitting a knee cap...this bullshit of shooting for a leg or arm is just that...bullshit...you aim and shoot for center mass hoping to stop the threat...then go from there...

if real life was like the movies where 1 shot always kills someone, yes..
Don't forget you can protect yourself from bullets behind anything that has any sort of metal in it, everything from a car door to a refrigerator door :D

A person with a knife advancing on an officer is a justifiable shooting on the part of the officer in every instance. If you approach police with any weapon and fail to obey an order to drop the weapon you're asking for it. If the person was unarmed and advancing on the officer, then the use of lethal force would be questionable.

I would like to field test it for a while. In the field, Mr Murphy comes a calling and shite happens.

"A knife attacker can cover a lot of ground in a very short time and cause a lot of damage if not kill you. Lethal force is needed in that situation if you value your life." This. Not sure why they'd even pick a knife wielding attacker for the example scenario. If someone is coming at you with a knife and refuses to stop: light him up. I'm far from a police apologist, but I'd have no problem whatsoever with that response.

Peace keeper or not, if someone is threatening you then just about any action is acceptable to end that threat. Officer or not every body has the right to continue living. The hippie californians have a point. Every living thing has a right to enable itself to survive. They just go about things the wrong way. New York tends to look towards california for inspiration, and unfortunately other states are following suit. To get someone to yield means you are trying to subdue their willpower in my opinion.

Peace keeper or not, if someone is threatening you then just about any action is acceptable to end that threat.

Well... let's be reasonable and agree that tactical nukes are a bit of overkill for self-defense against a knife-wielding assailant, unless that assailant's last name is Riddick? :p

Back