Cliff Bleszinski openly admits going woke can hurt games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game was never "woke". The messaging around it and Cliffy was never "woke". Cliffy just refuses to admit fault and would rather pass the buck elsewhere, like he always does. He wants to blame other people for being "too divided" or whatever instead of admitting he fucked up with his game. Cliffy being "woke" (which he never was) had nothing to do with Lawbreakers failure, especially next to freaking Overwatch.
It's easier to blame wayycism, white people and the patriarchy than your own faults.

Sorry, I should never underestimate the levels of cringe people can attain.

Sigh. You still don't get it. Woke doesn't mean having other characters than white straight males.
It's having characters whose only characteristic is that they are not straight white males.
No white male in a game was ever defined by that trait alone. It's not a virtue.
You still need to write an actual character for them. But for some reason woke writers seem to stop after "he's gay" like that's all they need to have a good character.
That's what we call a token gay character, and that is what pisses people off.
And if we happen to hate the character with no actual character that is when the accusations start flying "you only hate it because you're a homophobe" etc.
Like nobody ever hated a straight character, for any other reason than being straight. It sounds ridiculous when reversed, right?
That's exactly how ridiculous it sounds to me when someone accuses me or millions of other gamers of hating a character for being gay.

I'm not upset by gay characters in games, I'm upset by people preaching about them, and using them as a scapegoat for me hating the game. Much like CliffyB is using wokeness as a scapegooat for his game's failure.

That's your take on woke but I've heard 100 different variations of woke by people and how they view it. There's always been token characters going way back long before the "woke" term was coined so that's nothing new and it was always terrible. However, now people have hinged to a term and use it loosely to trash movies/games/media because it doesn't fit their world view.

English is not my native tongue. How does one reminisce their own failure... unless they're awesome. Never trusted this guy. Also, he tried to fuck us and said some serious bs back in... 2006 I think. About the time they released Gears of War.

Not to mention Quake plays better than UT
Each had their place. I played a ton of Bombing Run back in the day.

Honestly, OverWatch shouldn't have been successful since it's a copy cat of Team Fortress 2 done worse, but there is a reason why it did well and that's anime tiddy. Have you seen the fan art? The people go nuts for this. Blizzard obviously knew this as that's why a lot of their female characters are wearing skin tight clothing by default. Remember when SJW's complained about Tracer's "Over the Shoulder" pose? OverWatch isn't woke free but it didn't go that woke.

There's nothing wrong with making a game without anime tiddy, so long as the game is good, and obviously Lawbreakers wasn't good. Lawbreakers copied OverWatch while OverWatch copied Team Fortress 2. As of right now Team Fortress 2 is more popular than OverWatch and never had anime tiddy.

S_nQnCvPKJCQgE7pHEqlOiI1skwltqcqy08B_GUToUEhAn7jgZ.jpg

Honestly, OverWatch shouldn't have been successful since it's a copy cat of Team Fortress 2 done worse, but there is a reason why it did well and that's anime tiddy. Have you seen the fan art? The people go nuts for this. Blizzard obviously knew this as that's why a lot of their female characters are wearing skin tight clothing by default. Remember when SJW's complained about Tracer's "Over the Shoulder" pose? OverWatch isn't woke free but it didn't go that woke.

There's nothing wrong with making a game without anime tiddy, so long as the game is good, and obviously Lawbreakers wasn't good. Lawbreakers copied OverWatch while OverWatch copied Team Fortress 2. As of right now Team Fortress 2 is more popular than OverWatch and never had anime tiddy.

View attachment 221632

TF2 and OW had classes but they were pretty different games. OW was more similar to the comp version of tf2 that most did not play. Lawbreakers was too similar to OW and more DM focused to be successful imo. I liked lawbreakers but it also totally failed in the marketing department. Reminds me of Quake champs, they totally fumbled the ball in that game.

He'll use any excuse he can rather than to admit he just created a game that was overshadowed by it's competitors and that's why it failed. Look at Apex Legends, it's very "woke" with an openly gay Native (Gibraltar), gender neutral (Bloodhound) and metrosexual (Mirage) characters yet everyone accepts it just fine and it's very popular. Nobody is complaining about it being woke and the developers have gone on record saying they are proud of doing this and plan to continue with it. Cliffy's game failed because it wasn't very good, woke had nothing to do with it.

P.S. I'm actually surprised more right wing white dudes aren't hating on Apex. They brought in a straight white male as a teaser for S4 (Forge) and then promptly killed him off..lmao. I guess most people just don't care these days except for the fringe who see white males as "under attack" from the "woke" crowd.

You don't think straight white males are under attack? What world are you living in?

He'll use any excuse he can rather than to admit he just created a game that was overshadowed by it's competitors and that's why it failed. Look at Apex Legends, it's very "woke" with an openly gay Native (Gibraltar), gender neutral (Bloodhound) and metrosexual (Mirage) characters yet everyone accepts it just fine and it's very popular. Nobody is complaining about it being woke and the developers have gone on record saying they are proud of doing this and plan to continue with it. Cliffy's game failed because it wasn't very good, woke had nothing to do with it.

There's a lot of that with the OW crowd and, while they've done a pretty good job of having a diverse cast of heroes hailing from all over the globe, people want to extend that to sexual orientations for some reason. The most recent example was that they revealed Soldier 76 - the white, grizzled veteran Call of Duty guy that sounds like Clint Eastwood - as gay in a comic strip after not really doing anything with the OW lore for a long time. Just randomly revealed this one character as gay when we really don't know or talk about the sexual orientation of most of the other characters except Tracer from what I remember.

All the Kotaku-types went wild for it, obviously, and the forums blew up as people debated whether it was a ham-fisted and unnecessary change or not (and flamed each other for being woke or bigots of course). And after the dust settled, it had no bearing whatsoever on the actual gameplay and really only served as an answer to a question that no one asked: is this videogame character in a team-based FPS gay? Like, I'm just here for the fun and the competition, so a random "this hero's gay BTW" reveal really did seem like Blizzard trying to earn some woke culture points and nothing else.

Can’t really say I was a fan of the art style of lawbreakers.

it had no bearing whatsoever on the actual gameplay and really only served as an answer to a question that no one asked

This brings up a huge question that has troubled me since 1999. What are the terrorists in Counterstrike fighting for? Are they really freedom fighters instead? And what do they eat for breakfast? Do they shower or take baths? Or maybe no bath at all! *gasp*.

Last edited:
You don't think straight white males are under attack? What world are you living in?

An obviously sane one. The one's who usually get all flustered about "white males under attack" are the same types that go around shooting up places, you know, the kind that belong on a feds watchlist.

There's a lot of that with the OW crowd and, while they've done a pretty good job of having a diverse cast of heroes hailing from all over the globe, people want to extend that to sexual orientations for some reason. The most recent example was that they revealed Soldier 76 - the white, grizzled veteran Call of Duty guy that sounds like Clint Eastwood - as gay in a comic strip after not really doing anything with the OW lore for a long time. Just randomly revealed this one character as gay when we really don't know or talk about the sexual orientation of most of the other characters except Tracer from what I remember.

All the Kotaku-types went wild for it, obviously, and the forums blew up as people debated whether it was a ham-fisted and unnecessary change or not (and flamed each other for being woke or bigots of course). And after the dust settled, it had no bearing whatsoever on the actual gameplay and really only served as an answer to a question that no one asked: is this videogame character in a team-based FPS gay? Like, I'm just here for the fun and the competition, so a random "this hero's gay BTW" reveal really did seem like Blizzard trying to earn some woke culture points and nothing else.

I'll agree that's definitely pandering for the sake of getting some woke points. In the long run that does a disservice to the LGBTQ community because it all feels forced. They could easily create a single player game w/a gay lead that isn't in your face and it would work far better than just tossing it in for the sake of diversity.

"woke" games are worthy of a good cringe, however...

Lawbreakers didn't seem woke to me either, it just seemed like garbage

sorry Cliffy my boy :p.. Why not just make Jazz Jackrabbit 3 already and save whatever face you have in the industry?

Haha, so first it was not enough marketing and now being political. He just needs to stay quiet. The more he opens his mouth the more he sounds like...a......
Bad timing and the game itself is not as good as he believes it is.

^ Why white men are so angry: presented by some black guy. Someone should remind this ignorant SJW that black people are 13% of the US population yet commit over 50% of the violent crimes since he seems so afraid that white men are going to shoot everyone up. The weak soy lover already put me on ignore for wrongthink about Star Trek 🤣

I'd bet he looks like this irl
DqN0QL-XgAA13sB.jpg

It's okay to be political when your company or studio is established for great product FIRST.

Yikes. Hopefully whatever this guy touches will continue to flop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back