Client Side Software to Backup/Send Files to Network Drive

[Spectre]

[H] Admin
Staff member
So I am looking for a client side windows piece of software that can be scheduled to backup/copy/send data from a field laptop directly to a mapped network drive. Ideally the software would do it whenever the laptop was reconnected to the network drive. I know there is probably something obvious I am missing but apparently I am missing the neccesary keywords to find it when I search. I appreciate any help guys.

SyncToy could do it, and it's free from Microsoft. I don't know if you can have it kick off when the drive was connected, but it can be scheduled, and also run manually very easily.

What type of files? As long as they aren't databases or pst files just use Offline Folders.

Vista will not have this issue and will be able to sync all files with Offline Files when it is released.

Other than that Synctoy will work too.

djnes said:
SyncToy could do it, and it's free from Microsoft. I don't know if you can have it kick off when the drive was connected, but it can be scheduled, and also run manually very easily.

Looks like that would do it. I'll give it a whirl. Do you know off the top of your if there are any issues using synctoy and no-MS OS on the share side?

HarvInSTL said:
What type of files? As long as they aren't databases or pst files just use Offline Folders.

They are raw data files from flowmeters. All they need to do is have a way to dump those files to a network share without manually dragging and dropping (since there are a lot of files written per recording), sync the files since a copy needs to stay on the laptop, and and be able to remote access them over VPN (already taken care of).

For whatever reason I spaced and wasn't finding a program that did exactly what I wanted. The issue of syncing on connection has been the biggest hurdle.

If syncing on connection is your biggest concern, I'd use offline files.

As long as the server(host) supports SMB file & print sharing you are g2g.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;307853

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/learnmore/offlinefiles.mspx

Just to make sure I understand your process, you are planing on:

1.)Recording the data from the flow meters on a laptop.
2.)That laptop then is transported from the field to a location with access to the network share you would like the data to reside
3.)You then want the data on the laptop synced to the network share.

If I've got that correct offline files should work just fine for you.

If you have any questions or anything just drop me a PM.

Tray SyncBack from www.2brightsparks.com
* I use this small fast app to sync my home office and work location.
*Auto back-up key server files to a remote server.
*Transfer all log files from entire network to one location

DoS_SiN said:
Tray SyncBack from www.2brightsparks.com
* I use this small fast app to sync my home office and work location.
*Auto back-up key server files to a remote server.
*Transfer all log files from entire network to one location

That likes like a nifty program, and only $25 after the 30 day trial.

I like the feature that it can email you the transfer log once it completes.

:cool: Thanks djnes, HarvInSTL, and DoS_SiN. I ma going to give them all a whirl and see which is going to workout the best for this particular location.

HarvInSTL said:
That likes like a nifty program, and only $25 after the 30 day trial.

I like the feature that it can email you the transfer log once it completes.

There's a freeware version as well; I use it daily with no problems.

Back