clicking noises from my Netgear GS608 switch

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
If a switch makes clicking noises, is this normal or a sign of impending failure:?

I have used this Netgear switch on and off from many years now. No issues, but I do plan to upgrade "soon" to a 2.5Gb switch. Normally this switch is on the floor near my desk but right now it's on my desk just to the right of a speaker. I'm in the middle of reorganizing all my many under the desk cables (28 in all), so it's possible that there is some crosstalk going on right now

When the PC is on, I can clearly hear a rapid clicking from both speakers. Even when the PC is off, I can still hear a clicking from just the switch, which is still active.

Weird, no?

If you're hearing it just from the switch, then it could be the switch external power supply as I've had these go bad after a few years and the switch would work, but not without noise. I would check the power supply requirements and see if you've got another one that will work and swap to see if that fixes the issue. If so, you found it. If not, then yes I would say it would be going out, but even that takes years. I had one of the original 4 port fast ethernet switches from netgear when they were still co-labelled as bay networks and it started making a whistling noise about 6 years in. Found out it was the power supply and swapped it, and it still made some noise but not as much. Took another 5-6 years before it finally stopped working. And if I ever find the receipt, I'm going to do a warranty since it was covered under a lifetime warranty even though the power supply wasn't.

If you're hearing it just from the switch, then it could be the switch external power supply as I've had these go bad after a few years and the switch would work, but not without noise. I would check the power supply requirements and see if you've got another one that will work and swap to see if that fixes the issue. If so, you found it. If not, then yes I would say it would be going out, but even that takes years. I had one of the original 4 port fast ethernet switches from netgear when they were still co-labelled as bay networks and it started making a whistling noise about 6 years in. Found out it was the power supply and swapped it, and it still made some noise but not as much. Took another 5-6 years before it finally stopped working. And if I ever find the receipt, I'm going to do a warranty since it was covered under a lifetime warranty even though the power supply wasn't.
Well, call me schmuck. :eek: :confused: Turns out that it WAS my speakers at fault. Even with the Netgear switch and my desktop turned off, the speakers were still making noises. When I unplugged the speakers, the noises stopped. When I plugged them in again, I heard a squealing sound like AM radio static.:oops:

Well, call me schmuck. :eek: :confused: Turns out that it WAS my speakers at fault. Even with the Netgear switch and my desktop turned off, the speakers were still making noises. When I unplugged the speakers, the noises stopped. When I plugged them in again, I heard a squealing sound like AM radio static.:oops:
Glad it was something easy like this. I'd check the input cable going into the speakers because if it's unsheilded, then that may be the true culprit. If it makes the noise even without an input connected, check the power supply as they can also go bad if they're the wall wart type. :)

Glad it was something easy like this. I'd check the input cable going into the speakers because if it's unsheilded, then that may be the true culprit. If it makes the noise even without an input connected, check the power supply as they can also go bad if they're the wall wart type. :)
These old desktop speakers don't owe me anything any longer. I've had them for years and years and years now. I just found this soundbar. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1572348-REG/dell_ac511m_stereo_soundbar.html It hooks onto the bottom of my Dell monitor, and uses a USB cable instead of a speaker cable. Less than $50. That frees up some needed desk space.

These old desktop speakers don't owe me anything any longer. I've had them for years and years and years now. I just found this soundbar. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1572348-REG/dell_ac511m_stereo_soundbar.html It hooks onto the bottom of my Dell monitor, and uses a USB cable instead of a speaker cable. Less than $50. That frees up some needed desk space.
I have that soundbar. You can pick them up used all day on the ebay for like $15 shipped since they were very common in corporate leases. But I will let you know in advance that they too are susceptible to interference. :D

I have that soundbar. You can pick them up used all day on the ebay for like $15 shipped since they were very common in corporate leases. But I will let you know in advance that they too are susceptible to interference. :D
Thanks for that tip. I just checked the reviews on the Dell website for that sound bar. It won't fit on my monitor stand. :(

Back