Click on thread, get dropped at a random position in the thread

Welsper

Gawd
When I click on the text link for a forum thread, I get dropped at a random position in the thread, instead of the OP, as I'd expect, am I missing something? Is this a feature that I have enabled/disabled accidentally (like it's trying to drop me where I last was in the thread)?
Ex I went to genmay and clicked on this thread http://hardforum.com/threads/lego-nerds-bow-before-your-god.1765436/
it dropped me in the second page about halfway down.

That would suggest that the thread had cookied as if you had already read it.

To be assured you get sent to the OP, all you have to do is click the OP timestamp. To got the last post, click the last post time stamp, or the thread title, or the icon next to the thread. It might be in your best interest to clear cookies and cache and mark all the forums read.

clicking the thread title takes you to the first unread post in the thread

leezard seems to be correct, I'd really like it if the scenario was reversed, ex clicking the timestamp took you to the latest post, and clicking the title took you to the OP, IMO, that seems a bit more logical than the current setup.

leezard seems to be correct, I'd really like it if the scenario was reversed, ex clicking the timestamp took you to the latest post, and clicking the title took you to the OP, IMO, that seems a bit more logical than the current setup.
Yes, that's what i've been expecting. Now to figure this out.....

Thank you for this thread, was wondering why random threads would take me to different posts. Is there any plans to change this? Or is the general consensus that most users like it to go to the first unread post.

You are going to have to be much more specific about any issues. I think it is most likely you not understanding how the new forums work. If not, I would need a lot more granularity to understand you problem as no one is having an issue.

To be assured you get sent to the OP, all you have to do is click the OP timestamp. To got the last post, click the last post time stamp, or the thread title, or the icon next to the thread. It might be in your best interest to clear cookies and cache and mark all the forums read.

Just don't login to use the forum. Then when you want to reply, log in and reply then log back out.

I agree that this clicking on the post should take you to the first page. I'm on mobile and I cannot click on the person Time stamp so I log out to use the forum.

Thank you for this thread, was wondering why random threads would take me to different posts. Is there any plans to change this? Or is the general consensus that most users like it to go to the first unread post.
There is nothing "random" about how it works. It you click on a thread title and it does not take you to the first post, it is because you have already opened that thread at an earlier time.

Out of the thousands using the forum every day, logged in, the couple of complaints we have here are the only folks I have seen with issues.

It seemed random at the time. After seeing this thread I understand why it was doing it. I had gotten used to clicking the thread title taking to the OP. I don't expect it to change if I'm one of the few that are complaining about it.

It seemed random at the time. After seeing this thread I understand why it was doing it. I had gotten used to clicking the thread title taking to the OP. I don't expect it to change if I'm one of the few that are complaining about it.
No, it will not be changing. Once you get over the slight learning curve, this forum has some awesome features. :)

I was coming to the Help forum to request we get the option to turn this off in settings, like the old way where you click a thread title and you're taken to OP, or click the page number to go to the top of one of the pages.

I have no sense of memory so I like to ramp up to where I was when I re-visit a thread. Being dumped somewhere toward the middle/end hasn't been working out so well for me since the new format started.

And then saw this. Hmm... ok, I'll give that a shot and try to re-learn. Hadn't noticed clicking on OP's name under title takes you to OP. That works for threads that are only one page... I'll have to play with it some more to get a feel for getting around multiple pages.

Then click on the OP timestamp and you will be taken to the first post. Or the page numbers are there as well.

Back