Clearview AI aims to put almost every human in facial recognition database

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...t-every-human-in-facial-recognition-database/

Curious how many sources they are using to collect these images to which the people have no idea they are..

Clearview collects photos from Internet​

As the Post noted, "Clearview has built its database by taking images from social networks and other online sources without the consent of the websites or the people who were photographed. Facebook, Google, Twitter, and YouTube have demanded the company stop taking photos from their sites and delete any that were previously taken. Clearview has argued its data collection is protected by the First Amendment."

The increase in photos could be paired with an expanded business model. Clearview "wants to expand beyond scanning faces for the police, saying in the presentation that it could monitor 'gig economy' workers and is researching a number of new technologies that could identify someone based on how they walk, detect their location from a photo or scan their fingerprints from afar," the Post wrote.

We contacted Clearview about the presentation and received a short statement from Clearview founder and CEO Hoan Ton-That. "Clearview AI's database of publicly available images is lawfully collected, just like any other search engine, including Google. It is used by law enforcement for after-the-crime investigations to assist in identifying perpetrators of crimes," he told Ars.

Ton-That told the Post that the company has collected photos from "millions of different websites" on the public Internet. Ton-That said the company hasn't decided whether to sell its facial recognition service to nongovernment organizations.

Yeah, this should be illegal, and they should be shut down.

It is amazing to me that people just don't care.

We need a constitutional amendment that adds a "Right to Anonymity" to the Bill of Rights.
100% Agree. I feel they will get away with this too. Best we can hope for is it compromises politicians and celebrities to garner attention.

100% Agree. I feel they will get away with this too. Best we can hope for is it compromises politicians and celebrities to garner attention.

You know, if I had the kind of money where I didn't need to work, I'd spend a good chunk of it just going around and suing companies that do shady shit and piss me off, for the common good.

This company would be one of them.

"It limits the uses of its system to agencies engaged in lawful investigative processes directed at criminal conduct, or at preventing specific, substantial, and imminent threats to people's lives or physical safety."

Isn't that how it always started!?

Glad I only have my state ID photo.

They are using facebook, and the users are volunteering their photos. The 10 year photo challenge ones really helps with the AI so that they can see current and old photos of you, lol.

They will because governments want this type of surveillance, ALL of them, just some hide it better than others.

Their comment about it being protected by the First Amendment is bizarre. Unless collecting photos/data is a religious or press thing it just doesn't make sense. To me at least.

You know, if I had the kind of money where I didn't need to work, I'd spend a good chunk of it just going around and suing companies that do shady shit and piss me off, for the common good.

This company would be one of them.

It would be nice to have a rich person fight for individuals rights instead of against them. Now that's a pipe dream.

For now, all we can do here is forward the link to this story to our states attorney generals offices. With a little luck they will pick it up and do something.

Their comment about it being protected by the First Amendment is bizarre. Unless collecting photos/data is a religious or press thing it just doesn't make sense. To me at least.

If I found one of their executives in a restroom stall, stand on the next door toilet, look down, take a pic of the executive sitting on his toilet, then post it on the internet... Would that be covered by First Amendment?

If I found one of their executives in a restroom stall, stand on the next door toilet, look down, take a pic of the executive sitting on his toilet, then post it on the internet... Would that be covered by First Amendment?
And I worry - if we don't make sane laws normal people want (democracy, I think), people will start to 'solve' it with the Second Amendment. That's a backstop for all-else-failed, let's not let all-else fail.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...t-every-human-in-facial-recognition-database/

Curious how many sources they are using to collect these images to which the people have no idea they are..
Well hell, guess mask wearing will need to continue.

"It limits the uses of its system to agencies engaged in lawful investigative processes directed at criminal conduct, or at preventing specific, substantial, and imminent threats to people's lives or physical safety."

Yup. I think Germany recently abused their COVID tracker app to find possible witnesses to a crime.

It always starts with good intentions, save one more life, and then a few small infrequent misuses later the system is being used in ways it was never intended.

Department of Precrime says hold my beer. (n)

Well hell, guess mask wearing will need to continue.

Yup. I think Germany recently abused their COVID tracker app to find possible witnesses to a crime.

It always starts with good intentions, save one more life, and then a few small infrequent misuses later the system is being used in ways it was never intended.
I think China has an app that is still over 90% effective with masks on.

I think China has an app that is still over 90% effective with masks on.

Probably depends on the mask :p

1645652139100.png

Back