Clear QAM Time Warner and Tuner question

Nekoashide

Weaksauce
I really need some help on this, I have read tons and tons of articles but I'm getting alot of conflicting info and it's confusing me. I tried to read through some of the threads here but i want to make sure i get everything done right once.

I already have an HTPC that i have been playing WoW and Bluray movies on and I'd like to take it a step further and rid myself of the Dual Tuner DVR Cable Box i have now and have gotten myself really confused. Cost is not really an issue in this.

What is Clear QAM? I know it does local stations but can it do expanded stations? I dont want HBO just the channels like Comedy Central, Spike TV. Will i be able to record those without the box?

Which TV tuner card works in Vista Ultimate 64 and can record Clear QAM on both tuners? I see alot of them say one or the other on newegg and even then people claim it doesnt work. I want to be able to use the Media Center GUI if that's possible.

I'm just really looking to streamline my home theater before i move and get rid of the cable box and some wires. I really appriciate any help you guys can give me.

Clear QAM? I know it does local stations but can it do expanded stations? I dont want HBO just the channels like Comedy Central, Spike TV. Will i be able to record those without the box?

Which TV tuner card works in Vista Ultimate 64 and can record Clear QAM on both tuners? I see alot of them say one or the other on newegg and even then people claim it doesnt work. I want to be able to use the Media Center GUI if that's possible..

Clear QAM is an unencrypted digital broadcast. Local channels are the only ones guaranteed to be made available this one. Depending on the carrier and your area you could get different channels in Clear QAM. The only way to find out is contact your cable company for a list.

As far as what tuner you could use - Hauppauge makes great tuners but I have heard in a couple places that their 64-bit drivers aren't quite where they should be yet.

I believe QAM is the local channels being provided to you without cost over their network vs over the air ATSC.

If you ditch your cable box how do you plan to decode the cable signal? Going with a cable card or something similar? QAM channels are usually not coded or scrambled since they are your locals which cable companies are required to carry.

Wish I could help more but I am at work and got a phone call :(

The other more intelligent people will chime in shortly I am sure.

Time warner in my area has almost all digital channels that a "Digital Cable box" can pick up, with the exception of the premium channels (HBO, CINEMAX, etc..) and about 2 other digital channels. Check http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels to see what channels you can pick up which are QAM. These can be picked up through VMC TV Pack and through other various ways. I pay $25 a month for cable and get all the basic channels on analog, digital, as well as all the HD channels, but about 2. However for some reason I get some HD channels through QAM that they do not give through the digital cable box, go figure.

So as long as i buy a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 and the WMC TV Pack i should be ok?

Just making sure i can record and watch TV at the same time like i do now, Also does the programing guide automatically update? Or will i just be looking at channel numbers and no programing guide? Thaanks bunches guys and sorry for all the questions.

The 2250 has two hybrid tuners, so you can record one show and watch another live at the same time.

The programming guide automatically updates on VMC. You'll have to match the clear QAM channels you find to actual channels, for the guide to know what they are. If Time Warner is anything like Comcast, the clear QAM channels won't come through with a name or normal channel number. For instance, channel 100 "CN100" from digital cable might be 83.17 on clear QAM. I don't know how you do it on VMC, but I know it was a pain in the (_!_) on MediaPortal.

Just an update, I only found 11 Clear-QAM channels on Time Warner Dallas, Just the local stations which looked great but i had to tune for analog which gave me all the channels i watch.

Only issue i have now is with s3 sleep mode, When i hit the power on the remote it goes into standby for a second and then wakes up. I have already told it to sleep even though it's set to share media so i dont think that's it and all my drivers are up to date.

Back