Cleaning your keyboard in the dishwasher

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

like many of you I have spilled a beer on my Logitech G610 mechanical keyboard. I took all of the kep caps off and tried to clean them as best I can but several are still quite sticky.

I found Linus's video on cleaning it in the dishwasher. have any of you tried this? If so how did it go?

TIA!

been doing it for many many years. long before linus. works perfectly. just take a hair dryer when you take it out. let it sit for a few days. did you know you can put motherboards in the dishwasher?

hot water cycle on dishwasher but take it out before the heated dry cycle kicks on.
then lay the keyboard upside down over one of the vents in your house for a day.

honestly i do this with all sorts of electronics and car parts.
wife gets a little irritated when she goes to start a load of dishes and has to pull out a starter, alternator, half a laptop, 2 keyboards, and a bunch of cables.

Yep. Cleaned many mobos this way. The key is to give it 24-48hrs to dry. And when you take it out of the dishwasher go outside and shake it a good bit to clear excess water.

ok so I ran it in the dishwasher on Tuesday. I used my compressor and blew it out until no water could come out or drip. I have left in the on my back deck for 3 days counting today, in the sun. Do you guys think its ready to plug in?

Last edited:
Depends what's on them, I'd be weary if it had a LCD screen on it, iirc, water will trash that.
Worked for a lady that took in old PC, and told her to pit the KBs in the washer. They came out pretty fine. Some were so cruddy they didn't clean all the way.
been doing it for many many years. long before linus. works perfectly. just take a hair dryer when you take it out. let it sit for a few days. did you know you can put motherboards in the dishwasher?
You made me cringe on the MOBO part.
shes not (usually) physically abusive.
Ever heard of Lorena Bobbitt.......? ;)

One of my friends swears by putting his PC components in a bathtub full of hot water and soap. I guess as long as you let everything dry for a few days you're golden. I don't have the guts to try. Knowing my luck I'd end up causing something to corrode.

this thread is genuinely one of the most confusing threads that I've read in a while. keyboards AND motherboards can be put in the dishwasher???? what the actual f*** 80% of me says you guys are evil, but my gullible 20% says "try it"

You made me cringe on the MOBO part.

Another Mobo washer here, can confirm, have been doing it for 25 years and it works like a charm. My usual method over the years was to just run it in the basement sink and brush the hell out of it, then flush it with isopropyl to try to work off any potential junk left behind by the water, then leave for 3-5 days to dry. Never had a single board die from it. In fact my socket 3 486 board that I did that to in the 90s is still here with me, still works.. Only surefire way I know to remove the horrid stench of cigarettes from PCBs..

;)

this thread is genuinely one of the most confusing threads that I've read in a while. keyboards AND motherboards can be put in the dishwasher???? what the actual f*** 80% of me says you guys are evil, but my gullible 20% says "try it"

Totally honest dude, I'm sure there's videos of people doing it on youtube. If not I'll photo/video document next time I do it and post it.. will even do a 1 year update to see if mineral deposits slowly turn into corrosion turning my board into ash (common reason why we're told not to wash our PCBs, though this could vary by water source...)

That said, I've never done a mechanical keyboard, not sure if those switches use any lubricants but you may not want them getting flushed out.. that's worth checking (or maybe they're water/air tight when not actuated). Rubber domes will survive 100% of the time in a dishwasher, for sure.

Last edited:
If you have hard water in your region you could use distilled water and manually wash it with hot distilled water. Or you could install a reverse osmosis system and spray it down with that however IDK what pure water would do to the innards of a dishwasher.

thanks 4 advice guys, ill try it now. my dirty oldy logitech is almost dead) maaan, dishwasher )

Back