Cleaning Windows after hardware upgrade

ryanjg11

Gawd
I usually do a clean reformat of a machine once I've upgraded the motherboard and video card, as I just did in this case. But I just don't have the time to do a full OS refresh. I know there are a lot of driver and registry cleaners out there, but I've always been hesitant to use them.

I've switched from an ATI card to an Nvidia card. Uninstalled all un-used drivers. Nothing seems wrong, and I'm not getting an errors. So, do I really need to do anything? Are there any "cleaner" apps out there that really work?

Thanks!

Drivers for devices that are no longer present in the system aren't loaded. So realistically no, you don't need to do anything.

I switched to a motherboard with a completely different chipset (from VIA to an Intel based chipset) and decided to boot up to see what would happen. Windows 8 just said "Readying devices" and booted without any problems whatsoever.

I switched to a motherboard with a completely different chipset (from VIA to an Intel based chipset) and decided to boot up to see what would happen. Windows 8 just said "Readying devices" and booted without any problems whatsoever.
Windows 8 is built to switch between hardware on boot because of Windows 2 Go. Windows 7 and earlier isn't built this way and will just try to detect and use the integrated drivers. Yes, with 7 swapping motherboard and such can work, but I think it's a bad idea.

Just remove the old drivers, replace card and install new drivers.

I will swap a HDD into a new computer with Windows 7. Works well of you remove the drivers before swapping or do a sysprep generalize. I usually only do it with the same CPU type/fairly similar hardware. Like a Dell Optiplex 745 to a 760.

Back