Cleaning Up Japan's Radioactive Mess with Blue Goo

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The massive nuclear contamination cleanup in Japan is getting a helping hand from a new technology. DeconGel is a solution that goes over contaminated areas much like paint and when dry, simply peels off, taking all contaminants including radioactive particles with the film. The makers of DeconGel donated 500 gallons of the blue goo to help in the cleanup of the Japanese nuclear reactors.

Last edited:
We haven't entirely nailed down what element it is yet, but I'll tell you this, it's a lively one, and it doesn't like the human skeleton. Oh and just in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me. Do not get covered in the repulsion gel.

great way to field test your product... "donate" some of it to a particular disaster :D

Someone needs to create that stuff from the TV show "Fringe," that compound known as Amber which basically locks up and prevents much of anything from escaping, including radiation apparently. Would be wicked stuff if we ever create such a material...

We haven't entirely nailed down what element it is yet, but I'll tell you this, it's a lively one, and it doesn't like the human skeleton. Oh and just in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me. Do not get covered in the repulsion gel.

+1 :D

This is pretty interesting. I remember the cleanup plans for NYC if there was a dirty bomb; it involved literally carving off top layers of exposed concrete, for example (roads, buildings, etc), and taking all that crap to a waste facility.

Actually, that begs the question --- how do they then contain or process the gel flakes?

In any rate, donating the stuff was an absolutely brilliant PR move.

LOL

I came in here to post that :D

+2

i just played that level in portal before i saw this story.

Like any good drug dealer they gave out just enough. Now if this stuff works as claimed they will be getting a large order.

This type of human behavior baffles me. After Ike here in Houston there were thousands of contractors from as far as Maine here to exploit a bad situation. Bottom feeders.

Like any good drug dealer they gave out just enough. Now if this stuff works as claimed they will be getting a large order.

This type of human behavior baffles me. After Ike here in Houston there were thousands of contractors from as far as Maine here to exploit a bad situation. Bottom feeders.

Really? Disaster or not, expecting companies to just do everything for free is completely unreasonable. That does not make them bottom feeders.

+3 Internets..

How is there anything wrong with them giving them a descent amount to evaluate it's effectiveness. It's not as if anyone can afford to give their stuff away for free continuously. How about you help them out by selling all your possessions and giving all your money away to one of the charities helping over there. Then you can bitch, complain and equate them with drug dealers.

lets spray some on the statue of liberty and hookup an nes advantage game pad to it.
lets not forget about the music.

Hope the people working with this stuff wears proper protection from it. A substance capable of cleaning up radioactive particles is probably EXTREMELY hazardous.

Probably safer than lead paint. Radioactive surface contamination is remarkably easy to clean off of things, they usually use water. The trick is keeping the radioactive stuff from contaminating other things wherever the water runs off too, which this should keep from happening. Hell of a way to field test.

Really? Disaster or not, expecting companies to just do everything for free is completely unreasonable. That does not make them bottom feeders.
How about for the sake of helping your fellow man? We still hear about how bad Katrina was. This is beyond that scope. Using a natural disaster that killed thousands and displaced millions for your own financial gain is bottom feeding.
How is there anything wrong with them giving them a descent amount to evaluate it's effectiveness. It's not as if anyone can afford to give their stuff away for free continuously. How about you help them out by selling all your possessions and giving all your money away to one of the charities helping over there. Then you can bitch, complain and equate them with drug dealers.
I never said to give them everything. And I was talking about people using disasters for their own gain. Yes that is bottom feeding.

How about for the sake of helping your fellow man? We still hear about how bad Katrina was. This is beyond that scope. Using a natural disaster that killed thousands and displaced millions for your own financial gain is bottom feeding.

I never said to give them everything. And I was talking about people using disasters for their own gain. Yes that is bottom feeding.

An excellent business strategy, sir.

This is pretty interesting. I remember the cleanup plans for NYC if there was a dirty bomb; it involved literally carving off top layers of exposed concrete, for example (roads, buildings, etc), and taking all that crap to a waste facility.

Actually, that begs the question --- how do they then contain or process the gel flakes?

In any rate, donating the stuff was an absolutely brilliant PR move.

The flakes get stored in some handy dandy Japanese lungs for easy disposal at a later date.

500 gallons of blue goo? This for FOUR nuclear rector buildings? That's like about 125 gallons each. But what about those residential area surrounding it?

Ok, you are clearly trolling after all. My mistake for assuming the first post was simply misguided.

If this stuff works, can we buy it and dump it on all Government facilities (white house included) to get rid of the contaminates that are ruining our country?

Seriously though, I hope the stuff works like they expect it to.

I think I might know where you are coming from but you need to elaborate it better.
If you are talking about the contractors and other punks that came in on the grift after Katrina and other like disasters, and overcharged for services, attempted to defraud, or other like behaviors, then yes they are indeed bottom feeders.

However, the way you put it, companies that make and sell; first aid kits, storm shelters, oil spill kits, emergency equipment, etc., are all bottom feeders. Ambulance chasers and ambulance drivers are two different sorts of people, even though both make money doing what they do.

I think I might know where you are coming from but you need to elaborate it better.
If you are talking about the contractors and other punks that came in on the grift after Katrina and other like disasters, and overcharged for services, attempted to defraud, or other like behaviors, then yes they are indeed bottom feeders.

However, the way you put it, companies that make and sell; first aid kits, storm shelters, oil spill kits, emergency equipment, etc., are all bottom feeders. Ambulance chasers and ambulance drivers are two different sorts of people, even though both make money doing what they do.
You are absolutely correct. Thanks for lending me some words.

There have been radioactive fixatives (to affix contamination in place and prevent it from going airborne) around for years. Being able to remove (some of) the contaminaion is a nice touch (especially the short-lived stuff that is a significant part of the dose received). They wil still have to use a fixative after that, can't get it all!

Cool color too.

I'm sure the residue from the Blue Goo will be treated as radioactive waste, handled and stored accordingly. There are many other solutions to radioactive contamination....this is a quick simple solution to trapping the particles without making them airborne or washing them into the ground water. As far as the quantity, 500 gallons is a lot for one company to provide free. Other sources may provide financing for more supplies if the initial batch proves as effective as they hope. If the company makes some profit off future sales as a side benefit, good for them. They made a contribution and will probably make a difference in the long run and deserve a little credit for their effort.

The flakes get stored in some handy dandy Japanese lungs for easy disposal at a later date.

You are absolutely correct. Thanks for lending me some words.

Yet this company by that guideline is not bottom feeding. So either you didn't RTFA or you were trolling one take your pick. This company was launched in 2009 to sell the substance they developed in 2006 by accident for dcontamination, graffiti removal etc. The guy already has a successful company based around the product and decided to be gracious and donate some to the Japan cleanup effort. Obviously a smart businessman would clearly be hoping to gain some additional business as well since he is "In that Business". How is that bottom feeding?

Unbelievable that I had to spell that out for you.

Wait a minute ain't the nuclear reactor suppose to be in a deep hole covered in water? When anything happens the hole close down and no radiation contamition problems. So what happened? Did they have their own design?

the walls kinda blew up spraying loose particulates over the site. Fallout is simply high energy particles getting trapped in loose material.

They can design anything from a matchbox size tv to a talking robot dog but can't design a power plant that can withstand any emergency situation. Don't you secure it by first though of it getting blown up via missing attack or something?

That's not really fair to japan, after all that was a US designed General Electric reactor. It's also a few generations old. The only way to prevent these situations in the future is to continue research into newer and more reliable reactor technologies.

They can design anything from a matchbox size tv to a talking robot dog but can't design a power plant that can withstand any emergency situation. Don't you secure it by first though of it getting blown up via missing attack or something?

They were designed to survive a substantially large earthquake and tsunami. The wave that hit them was a little higher than had been planned for, resulting in their backup generators being flooded. Japan is kind of a shitty place for emergency planning. If they put the generators high enough up off the ground to survive a tsunami, they are vulnerable to earthquakes. If they put them in the basement (like they did), they are protected from earthquakes, but vulnerable to flooding. Most of the reactors shut down as planned (look up SCRAM), and IIRC only 1 actually sustained any kind of breach. The contamination came from the massive flooding.

Back